The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stecher's Role when Tanev returns

JamesB

What should happen to Stecher when Tanev comes back?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hmm, Edler ..Stecher..well,

With Edler's sticks breaking, & mistakes he's making

Lost power, we just can't deny. Our lines are changing,

cant'cha hear me? I'm saying, I want this cos they're HOT

like my wifeeeeeee

Together forever, & never to part, together forever, those 2

& don't'choo know I would move Heaven & earth

To stick these two together with gluuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hmm, Edler ..Stecher..well,

With Edler's sticks breaking, & mistakes he's making

Lost power, we just can't deny. Our lines are changing,

cant'cha hear me? I'm saying, I want this cos they're HOT

like my wifeeeeeee

Together forever, & never to part, together forever, those 2

& don't'choo know I would move Heaven & earth

To stick these two together with gluuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

So we can infer you're on pain meds for your elbow?

;) 

Just now, Green Building said:

So we can infer you're on pain meds for your elbow?

;) 

& I should PASS UP a chance to Rick-Roll JB's solid thread?! Honestly started thinkin, let's keep'em together forever. Then that lil' w*nker's song popped up in my hurtin head!

Okay, you got me. Stuck for a wknd(at home with the Missus:^) & a lousy arm cast! Been trying to laugh it off, but it's mostly gallow's humour...

13 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

& I should PASS UP a chance to Rick-Roll JB's solid thread?! Honestly started thinkin, let's keep'em together forever. Then that lil' w*nker's song popped up in my hurtin head!

Okay, you got me. Stuck for a wknd(at home with the Missus:^) & a lousy arm cast! Been trying to laugh it off, but it's mostly gallow's humour...

If I ever get back to Japan we're going for food and beers.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Stetcher to Utica. This seasons a bust and we know he has the skill. Give other guys shots such as Pedan and Subban. Stetcher could use this year to bulk up a little more in Utica as well as work on his conditioning. Kids going to be great so lets let him develop properly and not try to force wins in a lost season.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Also think of it this way. We have two assets in Sbisa and Larsen. Right now they aren't worth much but if they keep playing, put up some points and look decent then they might be worth something at the deadline when we can bring in Tryamkin and Stetcher to play full time. Right now they're worth very little but in a month who knows. Plus teams might be looking for a defensemen to expose in the draft lottery and we could sell them one or the other.

RetroCanuck is suggesting a "supertanker" strategy. Not crazy but I would not do it yet. I admit it would be interesting to see Pedan and Subban get a shot on the Canucks at some point this season, and I can understand wanting to protect Stecher by sending him to Utica. But I don't think Stecher would appreciate it and I think it would hurt everyone's morale, which could cause long run problems as well as reducing performance in the short run. It is one think to trade away vets for picks. Players can live with that. But sending down guys who deserve to play seems worse.

As for Sbisa and Larsen as assets, I doubt if there is any way to pad their stats enough to make them attractive acquisitions at the deadline. Larsen was unable to make the NHL when he was with Edmonton has not been good with the Canucks. I don't any team giving up anything for Larsen. And Sbisa did not attract much interest when the Canucks apparently tried to trade him before. He is a decent 3rd pairing D but no more than that and his cap hit is too high for that role. Right now his greatest value as an asset is to serve as the Canuck's veteran D in the expansion draft. As I mentioned in the OP, he only needs 13 more games to reach the 70 game over two years criterion.

1 hour ago, khay said:

The OP is asking us what "should happen", not what "will happen".

What will happen maybe you are right but what should happen is that Tryamkin should play over Sbisa.

In fact, I think with Tryamkin out, WD will feel the void left by Tryamkin (rather large one) and I bet that we will probably go on another losing streak and WD will be forced to put Tryamkin back. So I think Sbisa will lose his spot to Tryamkin sooner or later, once Tanev is back.

Yes, I was trying to ask would "should happen" -- what each person thinks is best.

The question of what will happen is also an interesting question, though.

I am certainly on board with putting Tryamkin ahead of Sbisa on the depth chart. But I think that it would make sense to make sure that Sbisa hits the 70 game threshold (13 more games) first.

I think it's safe to say Larsen is now out of the picture and Tryamkin will be the 7th man. Whether Stecher plays with Edler or Hutton or Sbisa he'll do well - probably better with a shutdown guy like Edler or Sbisa though, and considering he's been our best defenceman of late I'd play him with Edler and keep him around 20 minutes a night. We'll see if his play tails off as most rookies do.

Stecher needs to stay in. He brings a lot of offense to the game. Even when he doesn't score, it's a ton of shots on goal.

I liked the Hutton - Gud pairing but they haven't gotten results.

I know we are giving Sbisa games to make him eligible for the expansion draft. But (if someone can fill me in here), I think he only needs 30-40 games for that to happen?

Hutton & Tanev have a lot of chemistry from last year.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Tryamkin/Sbisa - Gudbranson

I honestly don't feel Tryamkin should be left out based on his play. But the expansion draft reality is what it is. Biega won't get the games he needs, so Sbisa is up.

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Stecher

There is a guy to make the key outlet pass, plus at least a 6'3" 213lb bigger guy on every pair!

1st PP  (trying to duplicate this 1-3-1 set they're running)

Hank

Stecher  Eriksson Danny

Edler

20 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Stecher

There is a guy to make the key outlet pass, plus at least a 6'3" 213lb bigger guy on every pair!

1st PP  (trying to duplicate this 1-3-1 set they're running)

Hank

Stecher  Eriksson Danny

Edler

Until Sbisa hits 40 nhl games I don't see him sitting out. Otherwise Gudbranson is the guy we'll have to expose to the expansion draft.

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Until Sbisa hits 40 nhl games I don't see him sitting out. Otherwise Gudbranson is the guy we'll have to expose to the expansion draft.

A fair point!

I was thinking purely in terms of the best line up / depth chart / balanced pairs > we could produce.

How many games do Bulldog and Pizza man need?

26 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A fair point!

I was thinking purely in terms of the best line up / depth chart / balanced pairs > we could produce.

How many games do Bulldog and Pizza man need?

40 or more NHL games this season to qualify. There has to be a minimum of 1 defenseman per team exposed.

Archived