The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stecher's Role when Tanev returns

JamesB

What should happen to Stecher when Tanev comes back?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

If this is a lost season why not just bring him back to Utica?

I thinking about it he might be good now but wear down a bit as the season rolls on like Hutton.

He's showing well right now, and with the wishy washy performances some of our D have offered to start the year I welcome him on the team. My only concern for him is his size/strength, but since he came from the NCAA, and not like he's coming up from the AHL, he has a leg up on playing against stronger players already. If it looks like he's sliding after 30 games then there's no harm in sending him down then, but in the meantime he deserves to lace em up on on the big club.

Unless we start putting 7 D on the bench it looks like once again Tryamkin is the odd man out given that Sbisa needs to play some more games IF he's to be the exposed D at the expansion draft. Unless JB has a backup plan of acquiring a D we can expose later on, Sbisa needs to play those games. It's likely that we won't go the rest of the year without further injury, but let's say we do. That puts JB and WD in a tricky spot with Tryamkin once again if we assume Stecher plays good enough to stay on the team the rest of the way. Tricky in a sense that Try should be playing too, but there are only so many spots.

Knowing us, by the time Tanev is healthy we will have lost 2 D men to injury so this is kind of pointless to speculate... but based on play this year and especially the last few games, Ben Hutton is most deserving of being scratched.

He is suffering in a top 4 role this year. Sbisa has outplayed him plain and simple, and Hutton doesn't do the things that Guddy or Tryamkin can do. For me right now, Hutton is a poor man's Chris Tanev. If it wasn't for him being a LH D, I'd be a no brainer.

10 hours ago, khay said:

Should keep Stecher with Edler as long as they are playing well together. 

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Tanev

Sbisa

or

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Sbisa

I am fine with both. As long as Larsen is not replacing Stecher. Hutton has been the weak link in his pairing (sophomore slump?) so he could also be rotated in and out. 

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

40 or more NHL games this season to qualify. There has to be a minimum of 1 defenseman per team exposed.

Or 70 games in the last 2 seasons. That means biega needs 18 games and sbisa needs 13. Canucks need to keep them both to protect themselves. If they were smart they'd get them both up to or close to the 70 game mark by the deadline and see if they can trade one

I think that we should have a potential scorer and a stay at home defenseman on every line.

Scorers (As they are):

Edler

Stecher

Hutton

Stay at home:

Tanev

Gudbranson

Tryamkin

So then the only question is who pairs with who.  And in my opinion, Edler and Tanev have already proven their worth, and Hutton/Gud was the natural pairing to attempt chemistry there.  Since Tryamkin and Stetcher are both newer and we want to shelter minutes for both, we might as well try them together on the third pairing.

As mentioned, we will need to play Sbisa enough to leave him exposed, so pop him in and out of the lineup when we play more physical opponents, but otherwise, he's our 7th along with Biega and Larsen.

As much as I like Hutton, Sbisa is outplaying him quite handily.  Maybe Hutton, Sbisa, Stecher and Tryamkin should rotate through the 7th spot. That way they only miss one out of every 4 games and stay a bit fresher. Heck, maybe even include Edler and Tanev too. They get banged up a lot.

57 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

What should happen:

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Sbisa, Larsen

Biega to Utica

What will happen:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Sbisa-Tryamkin

Larsen, Biega

Stecher to Utica

Pretty much the way I see it as well.

The first lineup probably uses our best players right now and likely puts them in their best position to succeed (although I might consider swapping Gudbranson and Tanev if Hutton-Gudbranson continue to struggle).

But Sbisa needs 13 more games to fulfill our minimum D requirements for expansion. So probably makes sense to keep playing him while he's healthy.

And if Sbisa stays in the lineup, then only one of Stecher and Tryamkin can play. Stecher can still develop and stay fresh in Utica. Tryamkin can't do that in the press box. So Tryamkin gets the spot.

Once Sbisa hits 70 games (over the last two seasons), I'd sit him down when we're healthy and bring Stecher up for the remainder of the season. And send Biega down.

stecher is still young and shouldn't be put in positions he's not ready for. the coaches watch their play and bring them along as their play dictates.  when juolevi makes this team, they will do the same thing. don't rush these kids to satisfy your own opinions. 

Wait why do Sbisa and Biega need to play more games? Biega played 51 games last season. Sbisa played 41.

Player Exposure Requirements

* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Also, couldn't a team simply trade for someone or pick one up on waivers.  ie D on waiver recently Kampfer, McBain, Goloubef, Gryba...

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Tryamkin

(Larsen)

Stecher is a great young talent, but there is no way I'd vault him onto the top pairing ahead of Tanev and Gudbranson - and I highly doubt our coaching and management staff would make that decision.

He may earn that role in due course, but I'd send him to Utica as opposed to using him as a third pairing blueliner - and that role imo is better suited to Sbisa and Tryamkin, who have also earned their spots in the lineup.

The Canucks have precisely the kind of 'crisis' of depth they need right now with 8 viable blueliners (perhaps 9 or even 10).

How often is their top 6 healthy?  I imagine Stecher will be back soon enough.

He may have earned his way past Larsen on the depth chart, but small minutes are not enough imo - send him to Utica to continue playing big minutes in the pro game against men - and he'll be back soon enough no doubt.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

What should happen:

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Sbisa, Larsen

Biega to Utica

What will happen:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Sbisa-Tryamkin

Larsen, Biega

Stecher to Utica

47 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pretty much the way I see it as well.

The first lineup probably uses our best players right now and likely puts them in their best position to succeed (although I might consider swapping Gudbranson and Tanev if Hutton-Gudbranson continue to struggle).

But Sbisa needs 13 more games to fulfill our minimum D requirements for expansion. So probably makes sense to keep playing him while he's healthy.

And if Sbisa stays in the lineup, then only one of Stecher and Tryamkin can play. Stecher can still develop and stay fresh in Utica. Tryamkin can't do that in the press box. So Tryamkin gets the spot.

Once Sbisa hits 70 games (over the last two seasons), I'd sit him down when we're healthy and bring Stecher up for the remainder of the season. And send Biega down.

I have pretty much the same assessment as Wally and Sid. By "should" I assume we mean "based on performance". Given the expansion draft we do need to play to Sbisa. As I mentioned in my OP, I believe that Sbisa only needs 13 more games to qualify under the "70 games over two years" category. However, I have wondered about the following point.

10 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Wait why do Sbisa and Biega need to play more games? Biega played 51 games last season. Sbisa played 41.

Also, couldn't a team simply trade for someone or pick one up on waivers.  ie D on waiver recently Kampfer, McBain, Goloubef, Gryba...

I wondered why we did not sign Bartkowksi explicitly for this purpose. He had over 70 games last  year and could have spent this season in Utica where he could have helped the team. As it is right now, he does not have an NHL contract and is playing on an AHL contract in Providence.

@JamesB: I tend to agree that the Canucks are making too much too early about meeting the expansion draft minimums for D. They've got 66 games left this season. They need to get one D to 40/70. So Sbisa needs 13 games, Biega needs 18 games, or Larsen needs 27 games (and an extension so he's under contract). It's not going to be hard over 66 remaining games to get somebody to the threshold.

Personally, once everyone is healthy, I'd sit Sbisa and demote Biega (even with waiver risk). Play Stecher with Edler as long as that pairing is working (and work Tanev in on another pairing when he's healthy). Keep Tryamkin in the lineup so long as he's maintaining his level of play.

There's plenty of time to get Sbisa, Biega, or Larsen their games for the expansion requirements. And I don't think it makes sense to prioritize expansion over icing the best lineup and developing our future defensemen (Stecher and Tryamkin).

If the worst case scenario happens (Sbisa and Larsen get season ending injuries and Biega gets claimed on waivers), we can make a trade for some depth D with 40/70 games (and extend him for 2017-18 if he isn't already under contract).

And as far as expansion anxieties go, I'd be more concerned about the forwards we're exposing and possibly making a trade to get some value out of one of the guys we are at risk of losing (hopefully with a younger, expansion exempt forward coming back).

But management is really concerned about making sure they have the expansion minimum requirements wrapped up (as evidenced by their aversion to exposing Biega to waivers).

EDIT: That all said, Desjardins was on the radio today talking about how pleased he's been with Stecher and Tryamkin. He seemed to lean toward keeping both in the lineup as much as possible. And he likes the Edler-Stecher pairing and hinted that he might look to keep them intact and work Tanev in somewhere else. With Tryamkin, he talked about wanting to keep the big guy's energy level up and might work him in and out of the  lineup depending on whether or not he can maintain his level of play or if he starts to look tired.

It'll be interesting to see if management is on the same page as their coach.

Archived