The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Analytics were right about Gudbranson

Matt_T83

5 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

True, I mean I watched last years playoff series vs the Islanders and he was playing well, but Florida has much more talent up front, and their D core overall were well-balanced. Time will tell. After last year our D was quite soft, and we did not know what we had in Trymak, stetch etc

McCann was going to be at least a 4 year project anyways, although I think he turns into a decent player. 

Benning made a tough choice, but a good one imo. Look at what Taylor Hall was worth! If thats an accurate reflection of the market, the Guddy trade was about right. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Benning made a tough choice, but a good one imo. Look at what Taylor Hall was worth! If thats an accurate reflection of the market, the Guddy trade was about right. 

Well I would not use the Hall trade as an example. No team had as much young offensive talent as the Oil, plus they wanted to wipe the slate clean so McDavid could lead. Hall is on fire right now on NJ, and Laarsen is doing well, but turns out all the oil need are McDavid and Eberle for their scoring. 

After last year we needed toughness on the backend, and McCann is a 4 year type prospect. We could get burned if that 2nd and McCann both turn into decent NHLers. Who knows right now, too early, but I would like to see more leadership from Gud. Perhaps when the Twins leave we will see who our young leaders are. 

42 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

McCann hasn't proven anything yet. 1 G 1 A and not earning much ice time in FLA.

However, when we traded him he was coming off a decent rookie season where managed to produce despite alternating between ice time and the press box... his value was much higher than it is now.

I'll say it again, the Gudbranson trade has all the makings of another one of Benning's shortcomings. It's no secret that Benning leaves a lot to be desired in his trade but man does he disappoint. 

Just now, SaintPatrick33 said:

Well I would not use the Hall trade as an example. No team had as much young offensive talent as the Oil, plus they wanted to wipe the slate clean so McDavid could lead. Hall is on fire right now on NJ, and Laarsen is doing well, but turns out all the oil need are McDavid and Eberle for their scoring. 

After last year we needed toughness on the backend, and McCann is a 4 year type prospect. We could get burned if that 2nd and McCann both turn into decent NHLers. Who knows right now, too early, but I would like to see more leadership from Gud. Perhaps when the Twins leave we will see who our young leaders are. 

Just using Hall-Larson as a gauge of the marketplace for trades for some perspective. I think the Guddy trade was win-win. We got the toughness you mention, they got potential. 

Hutton really looks lost this year, I do think most of Guddy's numbers are related to that. I like Hutton, but he probably needs Tanev as a partner to develop properly, not Guddy. 

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

The standings say otherwise 

But the individual statistics don't. Guddy is more valuable to us right now than McCann is to FLA. That MAY change down the road, but not today. And I really doubt McCann is the "missing piece" from our offence. 

In figured this would happen.

I've always said that he'd suck for the first half of the season and possibly the first year. Maybe it is the travel or growing accustomed to the west coast, new team, new conference or new teammates but a lot of players from the east always seem to struggle early on when the get here. Maybe it is because it was the first time he was traded. Maybe it is a bunch of these things. I feel he will improve though  over time as he gets more comfortable and accustomed here.

Sbisa is an example of this. Was horrendous his first season and gradually became less horrendous.

This is what may be happening with Eriksson as well.

Some people could say that Hutton has been weighing him down since he has been struggling worse than Gudbranson.

I am not really worried about Gudbranson to be honest. Kind of glad in a sense since he is a RFA at the end of the year.

I'd be more worried about Hutton honestly. He looks like he still needs to be sheltered.

I reserve judgement until I see what Benning re-signs Gudbranson for (I suspect one of the reasons Florida dealing a legitimate #4 D for futures - considering unlike us, they aren't rebuilding - was that they were concerned what he was looking for on his next contract).

We all know what happens when Benning has alot of leverage in a contract negotiation (see Pizza)....trouble.

I thought he would bring more physicality. 

His partner Hutton hasn't been pretty bad from what I've seen. That might have something to do with it. He was paired with more experienced defensemen in Florida no? Probably needs more time to adjust to new teammates and environment. Give the guy a break.

46 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Come on, everyone agrees Edmonton got fleeced there. That's not fair market value for Taylor Hall. They were just desperate to trade a value piece and get a young defenseman that can grow with the team. They will regret it, and it will go down as a terrible trade. If McCann can get his development back on track after we wrecked it, the Gudbranson trade will also go down as terrible.

We will probably end up winning this deal in the end. But I see where the frustration comes from.
Management seems to prefer the lower ceiling/safer choice in most instances whereas the fanbase is desperate for a top end talent guy up front.
We trade off wildcards like McCann. We pass on hit or miss draftees like Nylander/Ehlers (who, by all evidence so far, see like they are sure fire hits now)

Will Gudbranson and Virtanen eventually become top end guys? Maybe. Much higher likelihood that both will end up as very serviceable players throughout their careers. Not bad at all. But we, as fans, see that looming darkness, and that darkness is coming up quick. And I mean the post-Sedin era. We need replacements asap. Would McCann eventually have been that guy? Probably not. If everything aligned just right, maybe! But a higher likelihood that he would not have. But he represented hope. That's what we are desperate for.

41 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

In figured this would happen.

I've always said that he'd suck for the first half of the season and possibly the first year. Maybe it is the travel or growing accustomed to the west coast, new team, new conference or new teammates but a lot of players from the east always seem to struggle early on when the get here. Maybe it is because it was the first time he was traded. Maybe it is a bunch of these things. I feel he will improve though  over time as he gets more comfortable and accustomed here.

Sbisa is an example of this. Was horrendous his first season and gradually became less horrendous.

This is what may be happening with Eriksson as well.

Some people could say that Hutton has been weighing him down since he has been struggling worse than Gudbranson.

I am not really worried about Gudbranson to be honest. Kind of glad in a sense since he is a RFA at the end of the year.

I'd be more worried about Hutton honestly. He looks like he still needs to be sheltered.

I would say the complete opposite. However, I agree with you about the RFA year for Gudbranson. If he has a terrible year, we should sign him for as long as possible with as lowball an offer as we can get away with. He'll have no leverage and no choice but to take it. 

But I think Hutton has been okay, considering this is his 2nd year. I have far higher expectations of Gudbranson than I do Hutton. And Gudbranson has ONE job, which is to keep pucks out of our net. He's clearly shown he's not very effective as a shutdown defenseman. And if he's not driving scoring points, driving play/possession, or shutting down opposing scorers... what exactly is he doing? 

No one has posted clearly one thing that Gudbranson really brings to the ice, other than a vague "hurr durr he's a big man".

Archived