Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We have a lot of second line players, but no first


Derp...

Recommended Posts

My thoughts exactly, we have a few second line forwards and second pairing defencemen, but no all stars. I think we can still get a third for Burrows, a second for Miller as the playoffs approach. We have to start developing young talent and not give them the yo-yo treatment like Jake. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Team needs to be calibrated ,better management an coaching assessments ,go along ways to indicate the path that needs to be taken.

3 second line players 

two line of third line players at best

a

A line of fourth liners that are marginal in NHL at best

lacking

team speed grit scoring skills talent.

this team is regressing at a progressive rate since JB 2014 season

There is now no more prospect pool depth, an the team is close to cap .

management is rudderless an appears minor league crew ,

WD is doing his best but does not have skill set to be at this level with a boat load of grinders. 

The next 3 Years adrift in storms of NHL . This team may not survive 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

 

The Oilers had incompetent mgmt until Nicholson and Chia pet came on board. The Leafs were morons until they brought in Shanny and Lou Lam. It all comes down to who you hire. Remember we had the great HOF Quinn who gave us a winning atmosphere and a cup final game 7 appearance which your namesake reps. 

 

This Org right now has yet to yield to the new NHL, and it is a joke right now. Sign some old FA's, fail to stockpile draft picks, Virt is a bust, horvat is a Gillis pick, etc etc. Until we get the owners out of hockey ops, and have a GM and Pres who are commited to this new NHL, this franchise will continue to disappoint. Until then, I will continue to PVR games rather than pay for garbage. 

 

Regards, 

SP33

 

Umm.. so you are PVRing as opposed to buying tickets? Or watching on TV? Because PVR and watching live TV are pretty much the same thing as far as viewership ratings go

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the best line we could put out right now would be Horvat with Baer and Eriksson on wing. On the smaller North American ice, it seems pretty plain that the twins don't work well with Eriksson. They would best be served with Hansen (once healthy).

I do agree with the original post...right now. We have no true 1st line players. The twins really started showing that last year, in the latter half when Horvat led the club in scoring. I don't think that had as much to do with being a long season, as it does with longevity catching the twins. I don't advocate trading them...one is that I don't see any teams willing to take on 7M (or more, depending on how much we keep) unless it is at the trading deadline NEXT year. Another is that you don't jettison players that have done so much for not only the team but the community (unless they want it, ala Ray Bourque). I do advocate no more contracts after this, not even year to year. Same with Burrows. After the twins, Horvat MAY end up as a poor man's top line player, especially if he is playing with high scoring wingers (Boeser?). That's it, there's no one else even remotely close.

I am not in the "tank" crowd, but it may be that this whole team is in a "tank" year. i'm beginning to believe the pundits and their 63-65 point season. No real harm there. We get a top pick, yes hopefully Senor Patrick; we also get the 1st-2nd overall in each round through 5 (since we don't have a 6th or 7th). I'm still going to cheer them on, relish every win, groan with every loss. Guess I'll do more groaning than cheering! <_<

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

 

I PVR because sometimes the games get away from us, unless we have one of our epic 3rd period comebacks. 

Then how are you not paying for garbage by PVRing instead of watching live?

 

Anyways, since when is this news? It's like you guys forgot having raymond-kesler-higgins for a second line... we've always been short a top 6 player or three

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The system Willie deployed for the team has influenced the ranking a lot and is not a good fit to this team, offensive-wise.   He is worried about his job the most is the reason why he treated Virtanen like a rookie.   He does not have any patience with the young players.  I do not know how he went through coaching junior and AHL, and I would bet you that he has a special treatment to the older players, even in junior and the AHL as well.   If you hear the interview, saying that he hates using the young players, hence the treatment to Bo Horvat in his rookie year even JB lobbied hard for him to be included in the team telling a lot about what Willie is all about.   He is not good at the young players, even in development stages.    I believe that a coach should be flexible on whatever the stages franchises is going through, a rebuilding or a retool, or a contender and make the decision on how to proceed the young players accordingly and make the agreement with the GM/ownership for some kind of a job security and live to see through when they are entering the window of a cup contender..   If the Canucks were a cup contender, the treatment of Virtanen is justified. but they aren't even in that stage yet and the treatment should be different, imo.    AV is a great example, he was hired when the Canucks were in a rebuilding stage and lived to see the team to the Cup finals.  He has made a few adjustments to his coaching and it worked out well for him.  I am not getting Willie at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, shazzam said:

The Sedins are tied at #74 among forwards for points. Where are you getting those stats?

Every day the stats change, probably had mine from a day before or something. Looks like we have first liners again! Until tomorrow or something though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

This is what happens when an organization fails to nurture offensive talent. Yea sure, lets stick our top goal scorer and young talent Bo on the 4th line, moved up to the 3rd and rely on a few 35 plus year old players. 

 

This convo has been beaten to a pulp on these boards. Where is the leadership, coaching, goal scoring and future coming from? Yea lets ask Boeser and Demko go step right in as rookies and right this ship. Give me a break. Signing Loui, trading for Sven, trading for Gudbranson has not worked out thus far.

 

Maybe give it another 20 games? Come on bud sad to say but the oilers and leafs right now have much more potential and excitement than us. They righted their ships (without interference from their notoriously bad owners) and are now on the path to contending. Us? Well we are in bipolar mode, wishing for the playoffs but instead contending for the top pick in the next few weak ass drafts (BTW, we missed out huge due to luck and not realizing where we were at). 

 

So what is there to look forward to? Virt is kind of a bust. Bo is stuck playing checker's minutes. Once again rely on the promise of Boeser, Doemko and Joulevi even though they have not even played a game in the NHL. Meanwhile look at the Jets, leafs and oilers with all that firepower. Exciting to watch, and they will soon be winning games once they learn the NHL. 

 

Maybe another "bandwagoners" thread is in order, oh right they dont post after horrible losses. Talk about bandwagoners. 

 

Why are you complaining? You should actually be quite happy. We'll get a top pick if this continues. Isn't that what you wanted? We're at the beginning of year 3. The Oilers and Leafs have been at it for over a decade. By my math we have 8 more years to become them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Baggins said:

 

Why are you complaining? You should actually be quite happy. We'll get a top pick if this continues. Isn't that what you wanted? We're at the beginning of year 3. The Oilers and Leafs have been at it for over a decade. By my math we have 8 more years to become them.

 

Im just frustrated man, on paper our team should be doing much better, I mean we lack scoring on the wings which has plagued us for 10 years but we are decent at C, D and goalie.

 

The time for high draft picks is over with this new lotto system, IMO we should have just sold after our loss to Calgary in the playoffs. Leafs only just started their rebuild after they brought in Shanny and Lou, before that they were like us by trading for guys like Kessel and Phanooof.

 

These past two drafts were stacked with talent, JB drafted some gems but imagine what he could have done if we actually stockpiled picks. The next few drafts are weak in comparison, which will cost us another few years at least. 

 

Either way this is a long term process, just sucks to watch the Nucks be one of the bad teams again after we had a nice run on top for a while. Sometimes when we lose bad this forum is nice to discuss things with other frustrated fans. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

 

Im just frustrated man, on paper our team should be doing much better, I mean we lack scoring on the wings which has plagued us for 10 years but we are decent at C, D and goalie.

 

The time for high draft picks is over with this new lotto system, IMO we should have just sold after our loss to Calgary in the playoffs. Leafs only just started their rebuild after they brought in Shanny and Lou, before that they were like us by trading for guys like Kessel and Phanooof.

 

These past two drafts were stacked with talent, JB drafted some gems but imagine what he could have done if we actually stockpiled picks. The next few drafts are weak in comparison, which will cost us another few years at least. 

 

Either way this is a long term process, just sucks to watch the Nucks be one of the bad teams again after we had a nice run on top for a while. Sometimes when we lose bad this forum is nice to discuss things with other frustrated fans. 

 

The problem with our current team is what Gillis left behind. Nothing on the farm team and nothing coming from junior. That's a huge void to fill. During the WCE hayday Burke still managed to get us pieces that would contribute to the Sedin cup run. That transition was easier despite many bad Nonis picks. But Gillis didn't do much with draft picks to help another transition. There's no fast way out of that mess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Baggins said:

 

The problem with our current team is what Gillis left behind. Nothing on the farm team and nothing coming from junior. That's a huge void to fill. During the WCE hayday Burke still managed to get us pieces that would contribute to the Sedin cup run. That transition was easier despite many bad Nonis picks. But Gillis didn't do much with draft picks to help another transition. There's no fast way out of that mess.

 

You are right bro, and hindsight is 20/20, but I ask you would you have done anything differently after the Calgary first round loss? What do you believe this organization could have done better in order to improve our fortunes and talent level in the future? There must be some things you disagree with?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

 

You are right bro, and hindsight is 20/20, but I ask you would you have done anything differently after the Calgary first round loss? What do you believe this organization could have done better in order to improve our fortunes and talent level in the future? There must be some things you disagree with?

 

Honestly I don't have it in me to intentionally lose. I would have done what Benning did and built on what we had while getting younger. If it goes south you get the high pick and if it doesn't you continue to build on it. I'd be less likely to watch a team that is intentionally set up lose. I certainly wouldn't pay to watch it. I'll still go to games this year because at least they're trying to win. And the eternal optimist in me keeps saying there's still time to turn the season around.

 

All that said I think we have some good pieces to build on with BoHo, Boes, Hutt, Guddy, Try, Statch, Juju, and Demko. it's not a bad base to start from. There's also some current D depth that could be moved for forwards down the road. And decent D seems to get good returns these days if you're not limited by ntc's.

 

Btw, the one move Benning made I didn't like was signing Skille and waiving Etam. Skille is what he is while Etam is young enough to at least have some potential to be more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Baggins said:

 

Honestly I don't have it in me to intentionally lose. I would have done what Benning did and built on what we had while getting younger. If it goes south you get the high pick and if it doesn't you continue to build on it. I'd be less likely to watch a team that is intentionally set up lose. I certainly wouldn't pay to watch it. I'll still go to games this year because at least they're trying to win. And the eternal optimist in me keeps saying there's still time to turn the season around.

 

All that said I think we have some good pieces to build on with BoHo, Boes, Hutt, Guddy, Try, Statch, Juju, and Demko. it's not a bad base to start from. There's also some current D depth that could be moved for forwards down the road. And decent D seems to get good returns these days if you're not limited by ntc's.

 

Btw, the one move Benning made I didn't like was signing Skille and waiving Etam. Skille is what he is while Etam is young enough to at least have some potential to be more.

 

Thanks for the reply, I suppose the only difference between me and you is that you are an optimist, whereas I am an eternal negative nancy lol :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...