The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goalies Need to Hold Forwards Accountable More: Opinion

HockeyExpert

In a recent Province interview Jacob Markstrom had this to say about his loss to Rangers:

“I was not sharp today,” said Markstrom, who allowed seven goals on 25 shots. “There were five of the seven (goals) I’d like to have back. You don’t want to see it happen and I’ve got to make some timely saves and I didn’t do it tonight.

“You’ve got to play your best and I didn’t do that today and that’s why the scoreboard looks like that.

In no profession should a person talk down on them selves, this does not help their confidence and does not help their salary prospects. If you say you did a poor job you are admitting failure and that is a big no no. A more prudent move is to deflect fault and never admit the fact you did a bad job because that will be used against you for your next starting role, salary, etc. If you say you did a bad job then you failed at your job.

Goalies need to hold the forwards more accountable, put pressure on them to score. As a goalie say the defense failed to clear the crease, or there was too much pressure from the other team, the other team was just better than us, our team needs more scoring upfront etc.. Tons of reasons to justify goals against you but never should you say it was you who was not sharp, that is just a big mistake in my eyes.

Thoughts are welcomed!

Just now, HockeyExpert said:

If you say you did a bad job then you failed at your job.

No. It's not talking down on yourself. It's saying he expects better of himself and that he WILL be better.
What does blaming others to the media solve? Just divisive blame games.

Deflecting fault is the opposite of what you should do. When you make a mistake, you need to own it. When you own it, you're being accountable for your failure. Being accountable gives you the humility and awareness to learn from failure. 

I see what you're trying to say here. It's good to set a standard that failure is not acceptable. That makes you aim high. But when you fall below your standards, you have to be able to own your failure so you can learn and grow to meet your high standards. Deflecting failure doesn't allow you to see where you went wrong.

All players need to be individually accountable while also being accountable as a team.

The fact that Markstrom admitted his failure shows he's being accountable and can see how and where he needs to improve his game. It's ok to have a bad night as long as you don't make the same mistakes every night. 

He wasn't talking down on himself. He was simply being accountable. I'd rather him be accountable than deflect failure ... which is different than accepting failure.

22 minutes ago, HockeyExpert said:

In no profession should a person talk down on them selves, this does not help their confidence and does not help their salary prospects. If you say you did a poor job you are admitting failure and that is a big no no. A more prudent move is to deflect fault and never admit the fact you did a bad job because that will be used against you for your next starting role, salary, etc. If you say you did a bad job then you failed at your job.

Worst type of employee are those that constantly deflect fault.  It creates a hostile work environment, and the problems don't go away.  Better to admit your mistake, and come up with ways to be better.

I'm sure the same can apply to hockey. 

Says a Dman, no.

Too bad you couldn't point at your goalie like, wtf man, whenever he let a soft one in, just like how a goalie does to a skater when he feels he was screened, etc. Its always some scornful humiliation when you see it.

That would be accountability too, no?

Goalies and their egos...

22 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Worst type of employee are those that constantly deflect fault.  It creates a hostile work environment, and the problems don't go away.  Better to admit your mistake, and come up with ways to be better.

I'm sure the same can apply to hockey. 

Very true - but unfortunately this is a trait (blaming others) that is ingrained into today's youth sadly.  At least that has been my experience working with the younger generation of the workforce.  Not taking responsibility for their own actions and entitlement - two common traits I see in the upcoming generation. 

Glad Markstrom took responsibility for his role in the loss.

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Very true - but unfortunately this is a trait (blaming others) that is ingrained into today's youth sadly.  At least that has been my experience working with the younger generation of the workforce.  Not taking responsibility for their own actions and entitlement - two common traits I see in the upcoming generation. 

Glad Markstrom took responsibility for his role in the loss.

I see the same thing in employees of all ages.  It's not limited to a single generation.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The forwards need to take accountability for their own actions. Like explaining why the #^*+ you didn't shoot into a net that was wide open, and instead passed to your brother.

Henrik is a great player, who made a mistake.  He usually plays with his head up, but this time he was watching the puck.  Maybe his hands are starting to go, so he's looking down more than he once did?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Henrik is a great player, who made a mistake.  He usually plays with his head up, but this time he was watching the puck.  Maybe his hands are starting to go, so he's looking down more than he once did?

A great player, and one of the best playmakers and pure passers in the history of the league, no doubt.

But he's done this same move not once, not twice, but thrice!

thrice.jpg

Like almost everyone in here is already echoing, that's simply not how it works. Throwing your team-mates under the bus is a fantastic was to isolate yourself in a locker room, and a great way to make sure next to nobody will have your back if you need them. He owned up to his part of the mistakes and will try to both learn from them, and move on.

1 hour ago, HockeyExpert said:

In a recent Province interview Jacob Markstrom had this to say about his loss to Rangers:

Goalies need to hold the forwards more accountable, put pressure on them to score. As a goalie say the defense failed to clear the crease, or there was too much pressure from the other team, the other team was just better than us, our team needs more scoring upfront etc.. Tons of reasons to justify goals against you but never should you say it was you who was not sharp, that is just a big mistake in my eyes.

Thoughts are welcomed!

:lol:

Goalies are paid to stop shots. Defence are paid to defend against attack to limit shots against. Forwards are expected to assist on defending when not in possession of the puck.

It's a team effort, however everyone is responsible for holding themselves accountable. If as Markstrom says he wanted 5 of the 7 goals back, it would have been a closer game, I agree with him.

As for your "reasoning" and deflecting blame in the workplace, well it's hard to imagine you having any success in life; at all.

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Sounds like people defending Luongo in the cup final. 

Living in the past much?

Feel free to blame the forwards for not scoring, but then don't forget about playing defence and the ones that got past the goalie that shouldn't have. It's only part on Markstrom, just as it was only part on Luongo.

You never ever throw your own team mates under the bus. Markstrom knows which goals against were his, and his teammates know when they hung him out to dry. 

I swear if I was a pro athlete I wouldn't talk to reporters, and if I "had" to, I wouldn't give them anything to work off. Literally yes or no answers, and I'd fart just to prove my point. 

2 minutes ago, StraightFlush said:

You never ever throw your own team mates under the bus. Markstrom knows which goals against were his, and his teammates know when they hung him out to dry. 

I swear if I was a pro athlete I wouldn't talk to reporters, and if I "had" to, I wouldn't give them anything to work off. Literally yes or no answers, and I'd fart just to prove my point. 

I'd watch every one of your interviews.

Archived