The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Muslim Teacher Told "Go Hang Yourself"

nucklehead

9 hours ago, Moonshinefe said:

I feel like anti-muslim sentiment has been high in the US long before Trump, at the very least going back to 9/11. The US fighting countless wars, wasting trillions of dollars, and killing thousands of US soldiers in foreign quagmires in the middle east certainly didn't help things. Nor did the inevitable backlashes that occurred due to these excursions back at home on US soil. Trump probably galvanized the hatred in this election, and did whatever it took to get the requisite votes to win. It seems he's moving toward the centre of the political spectrum at a pretty fast pace though.

I'd put a bit of the blame on him, but I don't think the majority of it is deserved. I think it's just a racist prick using the politically polarized atmosphere as an opportunity to spout his BS (or hers, but let's face it, it was probably a guy). I hope they catch him and expel him for it.

I also feel like being a jerk sentiment among teenagers has been high in the US long before Trump. This kid probably isn't even genuinely racist and is, instead, just a little sh##.  

I'm not arguing that anti-muslim sentiment isn't a problem, just that this is probably not the best example. 

On 11/17/2016 at 8:26 AM, canuck204 said:

I can't agree with you that Muslim faith is totally peaceful. It's like any other religion. It's a wide spectrum. 1.6 billion muslims on the earth ranging from peaceful to ISIS level. People can argue that ISIS does not represent the Muslim faith but how can you argue what they think they are fighting for? If they fully believe they are doing what their god wants them to than what is the difference? Who are we to say how their scriptures are to be interpreted. The same thing applies to the christian bible and how it is interpreted in a million different ways.

I don't see any "Christians" executing women in the middle of the street while people film and cheer, do you?

https://www.facebook.com/nativeeuropeans/videos/338016376567253/

3 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I don't see any "Christians" executing women in the middle of the street while people film and cheer, do you?

My point about the Christian bible is that it is interpreted in a million different ways. For example homosexuality. That is a widely contested part of the Bible. Some think it is a sin that will have you end up in hell and others interpret it in a way that it is totally acceptable. It's a spectrum. You ever heard of the Westboro Baptist church? I bet you haven't. Look them up. They call themselves Christians.

1 hour ago, darkpoet said:

Also just in case I'm being misunderstood I am against the guy saying Islam is a entirely peaceful religion.

One thing I will also mention is if a white guy goes on a rampage and says god told him to do it he will be considered crazy and not a religious extremist. So theres that too. 

On 11/23/2016 at 8:42 AM, Mustapha said:

Your final point is where we disagree. You are incorrect in assuming that it's only the 'gender studies'  crowd that are indoctrinated, when the reality is every student is exposed to that nonsense as more of that content becomes required to graduate,  regardless of the discipline they take.

I don't mind the idea of social justice being introduced alongside other schools of thought in let's say Philosophy,   but it is permeating beyond the classroom and into the social atmosphere of college campuses en masse.

Furthermore, it is being introduced to children in the primary school system much in the same way religious education was done in the past. 

Dont believe me? There's a link to the ATA guide in this article. The concept of privilege, safe spaces, the progressive stack. It's all there. 

http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/04/teachers-union-official-call-students-comrade-instead-of-boys-or-girls/

While there may be apathy among young individuals today, eventually they will be the leaders and organizers of society. Their ideology will be reflected onto society as they come into power. 

Do pay attention to my response to clam linguine, because you'll get a clear sense of why see a need for indoctrinating social justice in our public school system.

I'll try to respond to you more directly, though.  The baby boomers were ideologically charged growing up (and they have been in power... forever).  Generation X, also ideologically charged growing up, albeit less so.  Today, people are incredibly stupid politically.  Complete dumbasses.  55 years ago America fell in love with the TV, and they were exposed to the horrors of war in Vietnam.  Everyone had strong thoughts on it and what was going on in the world.  Today we have greater media access, but the average  young American is unable to comprehend what is going on in the Middle East.  Hell, the average American young or old has no idea what Islamism even means!

On 11/23/2016 at 9:25 AM, clam linguine said:

Gender unicorn my ass.  In primary school we wore flea protectors to protect ourselves from girl fleas. We were in no position to make decisions about our future sexuality.  Sexuality should not be introduced to pre-pubescent children by teaching lame brains.

Sexuality is usually introduced to babies, starting with colour schemes.  Look at your average preschool and you will see boys wearing boy clothing and girls wearing girl clothing.  For you and I our fashion choices have become second nature but even now we can still change based on the world around us (where we are, how rich we are, fashion trends, etc).

Here is where I'm going with this... you cannot deny the fact that there is bullying based on constructed notions of sexuality.  This is why pink shirt day exists.  It is why I called others gay when I was a kid.  It was cool to call people gay.  It was uncool to be called gay.  Do you think that was okay?  Your statement that sexuality shouldn't be introduced to children... is so lazy.  That type of ignorance is precisely why teachers are proposing this... because the institution of parenthood has clearly only made things worse.

43 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Why you choose to associate that primarily on religion is beyond me.  I think you are telling yourself this because it is easy and you are lazy.  It is like blaming the Holocaust on Christianity.  After all, over 95% of Germans at the time identified them as Protestant or Catholic.  One can think of no other (political) reason why they'd do this... it must've been because they were Christian.

Oh, is that an unfair assessment?  Okay then.  Let's look at the Philippines.  Duterte and his death squads are constantly executing people on the streets.  Trust me, it's not that complicated.  There is no back story.  After all, 86% of Filipinos are Catholic, so it's obvious what we should blame here.

Crime in Latin and South America?  They give Christianity such a bad name.  60% Catholic, 30% Protestant for many countries.  Damn murdering Christians...

1 hour ago, canuck204 said:

My point about the Christian bible is that it is interpreted in a million different ways. For example homosexuality. That is a widely contested part of the Bible. Some think it is a sin that will have you end up in hell and others interpret it in a way that it is totally acceptable. It's a spectrum. You ever heard of the Westboro Baptist church? I bet you haven't. Look them up. They call themselves Christians.

13 minutes ago, canuck204 said:

Also just in case I'm being misunderstood I am against the guy saying Islam is a entirely peaceful religion.

One thing I will also mention is if a white guy goes on a rampage and says god told him to do it he will be considered crazy and not a religious extremist. So theres that too. 

I wouldn't really focus too much on those points.  Christianity is not just a white religion in the same way that Islam is not just an Arab religion (even if people have tried to construe it as such).  It's more important to understand that the world is still in a state of post-Cold War.  The communist model has failed.  The Western model, more or less, has also failed.  A lot of countries have turned toward the extension of what is known as third-worldism.  In the face of globalization, there is a rise in religious nationalism everywhere.

Again, Christian extremism is not a white thing, just like how Christianity is not white, and the same thing can be said for Muslims and Arabs.  Christian terrorists in Africa are brutally murdering and forcing Muslims out of their countries.  The problem (of media exposure) is that Africa is of no interest to anybody in the Western world.

2 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I wouldn't really focus too much on those points.  Christianity is not just a white religion in the same way that Islam is not just an Arab religion (even if people have tried to construe it as such).  It's more important to understand that the world is still in a state of post-Cold War.  The communist model has failed.  The Western model, more or less, has also failed.  A lot of countries have turned toward the extension of what is known as third-worldism.  In the face of globalization, there is a rise in religious nationalism everywhere.

Again, Christian extremism is not a white thing, just like how Christianity is not white, and the same thing can be said for Muslims and Arabs.  Christian terrorists in Africa are brutally murdering and forcing Muslims out of their countries.  The problem (of media exposure) is that Africa is of no interest to anybody in the Western world.

I am not saying it's a white religion I just pulled the easiest example from the top of my head. I never used race as any part of this argument.

3 minutes ago, canuck204 said:

I am not saying it's a white religion I just pulled the easiest example from the top of my head. I never used race as any part of this argument.

To that end I must amend my previous statement.  Christian/Muslim extremist groups are not exclusively racialized, although some are.

On 11/24/2016 at 11:13 AM, Bob.Loblaw said:

Sexuality is usually introduced to babies, starting with colour schemes.  Look at your average preschool and you will see boys wearing boy clothing and girls wearing girl clothing.  For you and I our fashion choices have become second nature but even now we can still change based on the world around us (where we are, how rich we are, fashion trends, etc).

Here is where I'm going with this... you cannot deny the fact that there is bullying based on constructed notions of sexuality.  This is why pink shirt day exists.  It is why I called others gay when I was a kid.  It was cool to call people gay.  It was uncool to be called gay.  Do you think that was okay?  Your statement that sexuality shouldn't be introduced to children... is so lazy.  That type of ignorance is precisely why teachers are proposing this... because the institution of parenthood has clearly only made things worse.

I am OK with dressing kids according to their gender and informing them about typical roles, but the important part is to let them be kids.  The chances of them being gay or are so low (2%) that it makes little sense to treat them otherwise.  I am concerned that introducing divergent, premature ideas of sexuality to young children, could influence their natural development and future thought processes.  After puberty, the kids can make their own decisions. Here is an interesting article.

http://lindsayleighbentley.com/2014/06/30/i-am-ryland-the-story-of-a-male-identifying-little-girl-who-didnt-transition/

Your concerns about being called gay do not strike a chord with me.  In school I called people gay, they called me gay.....and nobody was gay!  Make a rule about not calling people gay.  I am for it!

“The best education consists in immunizing people against systematic attempts at education.” ~ Paul Karl Feyerabend

1 hour ago, clam linguine said:

I am OK with dressing kids according to there gender and informing them about typical roles, but the important part is to let them be kids.  The chances of them being gay or are so low (2%) that it makes little sense to do otherwise.  I am concerned that introducing divergent, premature ideas of sexuality to young children in case it could influence their natural development and future thought processes.  After puberty, the kids can make their own decisions. Here is an interesting article.

http://lindsayleighbentley.com/2014/06/30/i-am-ryland-the-story-of-a-male-identifying-little-girl-who-didnt-transition/

Your concerns about being called gay do not strike a chord with me.  In school I called people gay, they called me gay.....and nobody was gay!  Make a rule about not calling people gay.  I am for it!

“The best education consists in immunizing people against systematic attempts at education.” ~ Paul Karl Feyerabend

Strange how you bolded my statement about parenthood as an institution and yet you responded like this.  Kids are exposed to sexuality by their parents before anyone else.  And then they bring those ideas into the classroom, and those who don't fit in are bullied.  I'm no sociologist and I don't know how classroom dynamics work, but surely you must acknowledge the merits of that argument.  Or are you going to deny that there is any parental influence in teaching sexuality to preadolescent children?

Also, your 2% figure is super low by today's standards.  Even conservative estimates are larger than that.  Not that it really matters.

On 24/11/2016 at 11:13 AM, Bob.Loblaw said:

Do pay attention to my response to clam linguine, because you'll get a clear sense of why see a need for indoctrinating social justice in our public school system.

I'll try to respond to you more directly, though.  The baby boomers were ideologically charged growing up (and they have been in power... forever).  Generation X, also ideologically charged growing up, albeit less so.  Today, people are incredibly stupid politically.  Complete dumbasses.  55 years ago America fell in love with the TV, and they were exposed to the horrors of war in Vietnam.  Everyone had strong thoughts on it and what was going on in the world.  Today we have greater media access, but the average  young American is unable to comprehend what is going on in the Middle East.  Hell, the average American young or old has no idea what Islamism even means!

Why you choose to associate that primarily on religion is beyond me.  I think you are telling yourself this because it is easy and you are lazy.  It is like blaming the Holocaust on Christianity.  After all, over 95% of Germans at the time identified them as Protestant or Catholic.  One can think of no other (political) reason why they'd do this... it must've been because they were Christian.

Oh, is that an unfair assessment?  Okay then.  Let's look at the Philippines.  Duterte and his death squads are constantly executing people on the streets.  Trust me, it's not that complicated.  There is no back story.  After all, 86% of Filipinos are Catholic, so it's obvious what we should blame here.

Crime in Latin and South America?  They give Christianity such a bad name.  60% Catholic, 30% Protestant for many countries.  Damn murdering Christians...

from your quote:

"... because you'll get a clear sense of why see a need for indoctrinating social justice in our public school system"

I read your response, and you haven't presented any argument as to why forcing this brand of collectivist dogma on kids is somehow enlightening.  Instead of reinforcing each child's innate value as a unique individual, it assigns them a group based on specific characteristics like gender and skin color and assigns value accordingly.

You think this will help STOP bullying? On the contrary, it merely legitimizes resentment of people in the 'in group' by those in the 'out group' for no reason aside from their arbitrary traits. This will lead to a counter resentment and unnecessary hostility.

Your above statement makes it clear to me that you either don't know or value the difference between indoctrination and education.

Education is teaching children HOW to think critically to reach their own conclusions, rather than WHAT to think and which conclusions they must draw. 

Archived