The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Com'on people, 17 games, really

Inge34

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Gaunce is a NHL rookie. It could take most of the year before he gets settled. Not worried at all. He needs the TOI so keep playing him. This is not a playoff team so his ice is not hurting.

Lol...this is the worst argument you can make. You could say that about anybody on the entire team: "Play Dorsett 25 mins a game.....it's ok though, this isn't a playoff team, so it's not hurting"

I was simply saying I haven't been impressed with him 35+ games in the NHL, so was hoping we can trying someone else to see what others can bring to the table.

12 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

OP are you high?...... right now? You take every complaint ever made, most of which comes from the media, and you say "the fan base" is impatient?

Remind me was it the fan base or was in management that said the goal was to be better than last year and make the playoffs?

Was it the fan base that made Eriksson under perform by literally everyone's expectations?

Was it the fan base that decided the whole "scoring goals" thing was passe and was not necessary to win games?

Was it the fan base that hired a defensive wiz for an assistant coach only to see us give up 3-5 goals a game?

Must have been the fan base that farted Virtannen around before FINALLY deciding to send him down.

Must have been US the fans that sat Tryamkin for so long when CLEARLY he belongs on the team.

Must be the fans that are making are hockey operations look like a circus.

Must be the fans that promised all this youth and "depth"(Jim Bennings words not mine) yet when we need to call-up suddenly no one is there.

We have every right to be impatient. Every. Single. Right. We were promised things we aren't getting and I don't think the Canucks are paying

my fycking cable bill are they? I haven't fully navigated this website so I don't know if theres a "reimbursement" section for the fycking Aquilini's

to pay my cable bill. Purhaps you could direct me. Until then ill keep paying my cable bill and being as impatient as I damn well please, because after

all these years of no cup and play-off failure I'm allowed to be impatient when we have lost 11 of the last 13. Choke on your pom poms.

Ouch, right in the honey nut feelios.

16 hours ago, Inge34 said:

So the Canucks are 17 games in and so far

1. We need to fire WD
  2. We need to fire JB
  3. TL is going to quit
  4. Erickson is a bust
  5. Virtanen is a bust
  6. Gudbranson is a bust
  7. We need to trade everyone away for picks
  8. We need to buy out the Sedins
  9. Why can't we do what Toronto did?

Excellent post! All of the above are indeed true! 10/10 will read again!

I, for the most part, agree. Firing coaches and management will change nothing. I think we have the management team we need and they've done the best with what they inherited. We cannot rush our youth (ie. Virtanen) in an effort to speed up the process. We are in for a long rebuild and patience is the word of the day. We are on track to get another great prospect this draft. I like what JB's done so far in that department. Even lower picks seem to have high upside. 

I do agree that players like Edler, Miller and Dorsett could be shopped but feel Sutter, Tanev and Hansen are keepers. All positions are going to need veterans to offset youthful mistakes and provide effective tutelage. All three are solid at there respective positions and will be the benefactors of properly developed prospects through improved stat lines and future success as a team. They are going to be depended on after the Sedins retire. Moving forward, I'd like to see deals made, focusing on more draft picks and prospects rather than trying to get immediate plugs (unless said plug has long term implications, ie. Ryan Johansen, Gabriel Landeskog type players).

Overall a good post, even if a bit redundant.

16 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

The Plan:

Try to be good.  Try to have good players.  Try to have young players get better.

Are you baffled?  Did I lose you?  Is your little shoebox of a mind still with me? 

Is it working? Year 3? I don't have your glasses, but to me getting older isn't getting younger, scoring less isn't scoring more, losing games isn't being more competitive, having fewer young players on the team isn't doing anything.

These are your experts, to you, they are infallible and everyone else are morons'. Even all the media and other people PAID for their opinions.

Now they want to trade away ANOTHER defenceman for a 20+ goal scorer? What 20+ goal scorer? An AHL guy, again? Forsling for basically nothing wasn't enough?

If they make a deal like that.....trying to save jobs.

Didn't Benning just say another 5 years on the radio? Making it an 8 year rebuild, re-tool, whatever? Just like Edmonton, 8+ years?

I can "try" to play in the NHL, but "try", ain't gonna get me there. Heck, they can pay me a mil a year to "try" to run the team and I will "try" to do a good job.:)But if it looked like this I'd be out in a heart beat.

Don't just "try",...."DO"!

team with only 2 regulation wins so far... and playing most teams (bad teams) on home ice on back to back nights... this team just doesnt look good.. cant blame the fans..  maybe i should go to more games, all 3 games ive been to are win and overtime.. and actually score more than 2 goals.. lol

4 hours ago, canucks411 said:

Lol...this is the worst argument you can make. You could say that about anybody on the entire team: "Play Dorsett 25 mins a game.....it's ok though, this isn't a playoff team, so it's not hurting"

I was simply saying I haven't been impressed with him 35+ games in the NHL, so was hoping we can trying someone else to see what others can bring to the table.

Gaunce has been good possession wise but he needs to start converting some offense and chipping in occasional scoring. He's among our better forwards territorially but his GF% is bottom of the team (mostly because he's not scoring).

It's tricky to figure out what's best in this situation. He's played enough games and minutes over the past two seasons that you'd like to be seeing some payoff from his positive territorial play.

Whether that means sticking with him in the NHL or giving him an AHL stint (where he'll get prime offensive opportunities and might find his touch) is certainly up for debate.

I do see some hesitancy and confidence issues at times with Gaunce, so maybe some games with the Comets (who'd certainly benefit from his return) would help him. But he might also be on the cusp of putting up some numbers at the NHL level.

It wouldn't be a failure for him to go down to the AHL for a few weeks. And it's possible that's the best thing for his development as an NHL player.

Honestly, I'm not sure.

But hopefully he can pot a couple goals in the next stretch of Canucks games and start to translate his good relative possession rates into a better individual scoring rate. 

19 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Sometimes I wish I was like @apollo

The guy only sees the good...I'm just an old, bitter, jaded A-Hole who wants an entertaining hockey team win or lose.

Nothing wrong with that.  Its exactly what I hope for as well.  I just want to be entertained for the game :)

18 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Yeah, I know right.  I yell at the TV.....Sedins overpassing, Guddy's backhand slapper clearing attempt / pass to the other team's D, Burrows' legs, Gaunce's penalties, Edler's blocked shots....but when I come on here and hear the entitled vitriol and grand pronouncements I want to puke.  If you can't criticize a sports team without coming off like a little B, you probably are a little B.

Love your posts!  Always make me laugh :lol:

Out of pluses :(

6 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Is it working? Year 3? I don't have your glasses, but to me getting older isn't getting younger, scoring less isn't scoring more, losing games isn't being more competitive, having fewer young players on the team isn't doing anything.

These are your experts, to you, they are infallible and everyone else are morons'. Even all the media and other people PAID for their opinions.

Now they want to trade away ANOTHER defenceman for a 20+ goal scorer? What 20+ goal scorer? An AHL guy, again? Forsling for basically nothing wasn't enough?

If they make a deal like that.....trying to save jobs.

Didn't Benning just say another 5 years on the radio? Making it an 8 year rebuild, re-tool, whatever? Just like Edmonton, 8+ years?

I can "try" to play in the NHL, but "try", ain't gonna get me there. Heck, they can pay me a mil a year to "try" to run the team and I will "try" to do a good job.:)But if it looked like this I'd be out in a heart beat.

Don't just "try",...."DO"!

Okay the thing about "Frosling" is this.  Benning said, "I knew he was really good - I scouted him.  Our guys thought that Clendening was pretty good".  Then he fired those guys.  That and not signing Richardson are his only mistakes as far as I'm concerned.  In any case, we made good on Clendening.

Here's the thing about your whining.  You've been telling us for years that we are bad, and we are.  And yet, we're supposed to instantly be good because we aren't planning to suck.  You're like: "Be bad on purpose.  Oh, you're trying to be good?  It ain't working."   Honestly dude, I would suggest that you take a course in logic or hit yourself with a brick.

By the way.....they haven't made the trade that you're raging about.  Just a detail.  And the team isn't younger?  For this one, you don't need logic.  Some basic fact-checking will cover it.

"Don't try, do"?  Wow.  Say that out loud a few times.  Maybe that's what they're missing.  They don't know to just "do".  Great insight as always.

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Gaunce has been good possession wise but he needs to start converting some offense and chipping in occasional scoring. He's among our better forwards territorially but his GF% is bottom of the team (mostly because he's not scoring).

It's tricky to figure out what's best in this situation. He's played enough games and minutes over the past two seasons that you'd like to be seeing some payoff from his positive territorial play.

Whether that means sticking with him in the NHL or giving him an AHL stint (where he'll get prime offensive opportunities and might find his touch) is certainly up for debate.

I do see some hesitancy and confidence issues at times with Gaunce, so maybe some games with the Comets (who'd certainly benefit from his return) would help him. But he might also be on the cusp of putting up some numbers at the NHL level.

It wouldn't be a failure for him to go down to the AHL for a few weeks. And it's possible that's the best thing for his development as an NHL player.

Honestly, I'm not sure.

But hopefully he can pot a couple goals in the next stretch of Canucks games and start to translate his good relative possession rates into a better individual scoring rate. 

Guavnche could go either way.  Half of me sees him being a really solid player in 3 years, and the other half sees a dead-end that the three years were wasted on (see: James Sheppard in SJ).

17 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Okay the thing about "Frosling" is this.  Benning said, "I knew he was really good - I scouted him.  Our guys thought that Clendening was pretty good".  Then he fired those guys.  That and not signing Richardson are his only mistakes as far as I'm concerned.  In any case, we made good on Clendening.

Here's the thing about your whining.  You've been telling us for years that we are bad, and we are.  And yet, we're supposed to instantly be good because we aren't planning to suck.  You're like: "Be bad on purpose.  Oh, you're trying to be good?  It ain't working."   Honestly dude, I would suggest that you take a course in logic or hit yourself with a brick.

By the way.....they haven't made the trade that you're raging about.  Just a detail.  And the team isn't younger?  For this one, you don't need logic.  Some basic fact-checking will cover it.

"Don't try, do"?  Wow.  Say that out loud a few times.  Maybe that's what they're missing.  They don't know to just "do".  Great insight as always.

You haven't been around long have you?

Over the last three to four years I have advocating getting replacement players for the Sedins. During this time the team has declined year after year without any improvement to the forward lines. I DID advocate for tanking when it could have made a huge difference, the McDavid year, after that it is more of a toss of the dice.

In 2010/2011 I crowed how they may have set a record by being the best team in every category.

Shortly after I advocated trading away SOME players to get the Sedin replacements.

I have complained about coaching, like most here.

I have been advocating just telling the truth to the fans, that this team is going in the wrong direction, this is confirmed by Benning today on the radio when he said, "it will be 4 or 5 more years before the players in Utica can make a difference" or something so similar to that it means the same, 4 or 5 MORE years, that would make 8 years at least, and that is his opinion.

He signed a coach that has never dealt with millionaires or been in charge of an NHL team, very few of these gentlemen are successful in their first tenure in the show.

He fired the best capologist in the game and hired his buddy who got the Bruins in cap trouble.

He got rid of the stats guru that was so good he is now the youngest GM in league history.

THE BEST deal he has had was forced on him by Kesler and his agent.

He diddled the pooch with the Forsling trade and had to draft a replacement instead of a forward.

Hamhuis, Vrbata...need anything be said?

Getting rid of Garrison for a bag of pucks and Hamhuis for nothing, both of which are playing top 4 minutes on their teams.

Signed 32 yr old Eriksson to a 6 year deal, a guy that has scored 30 + goals only twice in his life, both contract years.

Has given away atleast 2 second round drafts picks for nothing.

Has the team near the cap and they have only won 2 games in regulation.

And you think there is something wrong with MY evaluation process?

And there is likely more.

IN LESS THAN 3 YEARS!

What good did signing Miller, who let everyone know he would only play in the west, to 6 mil a season, did he try for 3 or 4 mil? Miller had just come off two terrible years so why 6 mil, when other goalies were going for draft picks and prospects.

They used to give away tickets to games, now they give away SEASON tickets, does that not suggest something to you?

Too long a read, hopefully somewhere in the article or comments honorable mention goes to Luca Sbisa with a plus/minus 0 on a team filled with minuses.

I like our defense, really dissapointed in coach WD that he postioned Larsen over Stecher to launch the season was beyond me and many!

Only 6 teams in the NHL spend less on their D core. 
Our defense has combined for 20 points

Teams who spend less/ points by defense:

Carolina- 27
Dallas - 29

Florida - 34
New Jersey - 31
Pittsburgh - 27
Toronto - 37

Last season I thought our biggest hole was OFD. We not only spend too little relatively on our D, but we also gravitate toward too many who don't put up any offense. Larsen, Stecher, and Hutton account for 50% of the offense at 14% of the cost. 

I like Gudbranson and thought the trade was fair enough value, but he wasn't exactly the player we needed to fill a hole. 

Up front we have the 13th highest salary. 

Just when we were about to rid ourselves of Burrows ugly contract we add Eriksson. 

On a positive note, we have two young two-way dmen in Hutton and Stecher already up and Juolevi coming in a couple years from now. Management just needs to not handcuff the team with expensive free agent signings until we have built the proper foundation of good young players on cheap salaries. 

On 11/18/2016 at 0:17 AM, Inge34 said:
  1. We need to fire WD
  2. We need to fire JB
  3. TL is going to quit
  4. Erickson is a bust
  5. Virtanen is a bust
  6. Gudbranson is a bust
  7. We need to trade everyone away for picks
  8. We need to buy out the Sedins
  9. Why can't we do what Toronto did?
  1. Not his fault the team is garbage
  2. I think he's being constrained by ownership - isn't doing a great job either, seems to covet average players
  3. Ha
  4. Question the signing, but it's a slow start and a crap team and nothing more.
  5. Virtanen isn't being given the opportunity because of the stupid mentality that you need to prove yourself in the bottom 6 to get a shot at the top 6.
  6. Kind of agree
  7. We need to look at trading quite a few guys, and there's no reason to wait until the deadline. No repeats of last year please.
  8. Hahahaha
  9. Why can't we?

Archived