The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Management has a very good card up their sleeves

22 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Garteig?

7 minutes ago, FijianCanuck said:

Oops forgot about that all star stud out of ncaa.

The mighty ECHL goalie with no chance of getting a future spot ahead of Markstrom or Demko with the big club.  The only reason he was at the bench tonight was because the Aces were already scheduled to leave for Kansas and it would be much easier for him to warm a bench on short notice than it would have been to fly in somebody 3,000 miles from Utica to ride the pine.

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

College Free agents I believe will become the bread and butter of a successful franchise moving forward.  NCAA is definitely taking note of the Opportunity to play in Vancouver.  It was capitalized because over the last two seasons a pretty good AHLer would've been an injury away from being next up for the Canucks.  

Even though we're in a sad state of affairs, Jim Benning has stated on 1040 last year that we are consciously trying to provide and market the opportunity when you suck   to come in and get a lot of minutes to the college free agents.  They are having more and more success in the NHL.  Don't think that the players aren't paying attention to the best guys from their own league and how they're doing in the NHL. 

In any case, I believe that our luck with Stetcher is not purely down to him being a BC guy but rather Benning managing our group categories well and having enough guys in the "expendable" category that can make room for someone that has the potential to break out in the NHL.  

The problem is, we are the worst team in the league by a MILE. 
If there are any NCAA free agents available that are good enough to be NHL players, there are a lot of teams much better than us that they could join and still play a lot of minutes.

We are very lucky to have landed Stecher but at this point Boeser is a complete toss up. People forget we have not signed him. He could easily just play things out and decide to go somewhere else.. you know... that isn't a complete train wreck :-/

1 hour ago, Harvey Spector said:

Do we really know he grew up a Canucks fan?  He could be a closet Leafs fan you know. Just sayin...

"[Troy Stecher] grew up watching [the Canucks] in the stands with his father Peter Stecher, a long-time season ticket holder."

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/weekly-feature/stecher-makes-history-for-richmond-with-canucks-debut-1.2378777

8 hours ago, FijianCanuck said:

Stecher signed here because he's from Richmond and grew up a canucks fan. Other college free agents signed elsewhere 

Gartieg?  He was also highly sought after. Bad luck on Drake. Thought JB was going to get the trifecta. Hate the coilers. 

5 hours ago, darkpoet said:

The problem is, we are the worst team in the league by a MILE. 
If there are any NCAA free agents available that are good enough to be NHL players, there are a lot of teams much better than us that they could join and still play a lot of minutes.

We are very lucky to have landed Stecher but at this point Boeser is a complete toss up. People forget we have not signed him. He could easily just play things out and decide to go somewhere else.. you know... that isn't a complete train wreck :-/

Mm where has Brock indicated that he is going elsewhere?

The idle speculation that exists in this board is staggering.

The only college drafted player that did not sign with us was Umberger. He was our 1st rounder.  Then we drafted his nemisis next year, RK17. Umberger was pissed that Kesler signed for less money than Umberger was looking for.  Umberger and Kesler hated each other.  Burke did his usual scorched earth policy and traded Umberger away for peanuts in the wake of the Bertuzzi incident. 

Thats it.  One time, 15 plus years ago. Since then we have signed our picks and some great FA's out of the college system. I could understand Guadette being a worry if Boston starts covertly courting him. But Brock, there is nothing even remotely indicating he won't sign here. 

8 hours ago, Jaku said:

I couldn't agree more. This team needs to blow it up and actually rebuild. 

You mean the full blown rebuild that Buffalo is on, and is a point less in one less game? That kind of improvement? You can draft bottom 5 and still have a long way to go on progression. I doubt this fanbase has the patience of a 10 year rebuild that Edmonton is just coming out of. 

4 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Mm where has Brock indicated that he is going elsewhere?

The idle speculation that exists in this board is staggering.

The only college drafted player that did not sign with us was Umberger. He was our 1st rounder.  Then we drafted his nemisis next year, RK17. Umberger was pissed that Kesler signed for less money than Umberger was looking for.  Umberger and Kesler hated each other.  Burke did his usual scorched earth policy and traded Umberger away for peanuts in the wake of the Bertuzzi incident. 

Thats it.  One time, 15 plus years ago. Since then we have signed our picks and some great FA's out of the college system. I could understand Guadette being a worry if Boston starts covertly courting him. But Brock, there is nothing even remotely indicating he won't sign here. 

And didn't Stecher say that Brock's raving about what a great time he had at the young prospects camp was a huge factor in his decision to sign with the Canucks?

^^^^Absolutely 

I believe so. Everyone is saying that the only reason we wanted Stecher and Drake was to appease Boeser. What if more than one player off the NCAA championship team was worth signing on their own merit.  Now that would be strange?  

Seeing as JB is a avid scout and likely took in the ffrozen four and would be paying special attention to Boeser, it is also likely that he noticed other players on the same team. 

There is an added bonus for having Stecher already on our roster for added incentive, but Brock was also publicly trying to convince Drake to sign in Vancity as well. 

Now seeing as Brock is a standup guy, it would be a Superbad move to convince or advocate your buddies to sign with a team that you were going to diss. 

EW. 

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

"[Troy Stecher] grew up watching [the Canucks] in the stands with his father Peter Stecher, a long-time season ticket holder."

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/weekly-feature/stecher-makes-history-for-richmond-with-canucks-debut-1.2378777

I was referring to Michael Garteig. 

Archived