The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Management has a very good card up their sleeves

14 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Most other teams don't have the flexibility that we do to get College Free Agents in and get them playing within half a season.  

I don't know about that, there's enough teams looking for upgrades in their rosters who are out of the playoffs who could also offer playing time in very short order. And if a player's good enough, they'd make their way onto a few more teams' rosters as well.

13 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Garteig?

12 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Michael Garteig is not from Vancouver. 

12 hours ago, pluralsight said:

He is, however, another BC boy who grew up a Canucks fan. 

12 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

Garteig = another BC-born player. 

Grew up in Prince George, played for the Penticton Vees (and Powell River) in the BCHL. Maybe he was also a fan of some other team(s) but clearly we had home field advantage again just like Stecher.

14 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Stecher is leading our team in minutes so far tonight...  my bad, 2nd on the team.  

If we had a worthy player, he would have either Skille's or Chaput's spot on the team.  

Who are getting better by the week after mixed starts. Chaput also seems good on the face-offs.

9 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Mm where has Brock indicated that he is going elsewhere?

The idle speculation that exists in this board is staggering.

The only college drafted player that did not sign with us was Umberger. He was our 1st rounder.  Then we drafted his nemisis next year, RK17. Umberger was pissed that Kesler signed for less money than Umberger was looking for.  Umberger and Kesler hated each other.  Burke did his usual scorched earth policy and traded Umberger away for peanuts in the wake of the Bertuzzi incident. 

Thats it.  One time, 15 plus years ago. Since then we have signed our picks and some great FA's out of the college system. I could understand Guadette being a worry if Boston starts covertly courting him. But Brock, there is nothing even remotely indicating he won't sign here. 

The fact that he hasn't indicated anything with regards to not signing with us, doesn't mean it won't happen.

I simply pointed it out as a possibility, and the odds of that possibility being less in our favour because of how much our team sucks, lends some credence to it. 

1 minute ago, darkpoet said:

The fact that he hasn't indicated anything with regards to not signing with us, doesn't mean it won't happen.

I simply pointed it out as a possibility, and the odds of that possibility being less in our favour because of how much our team sucks, lends some credence to it. 

Flip side is that it may be a quicker path to the NHL than an already loaded team.

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

Flip side is that it may be a quicker path to the NHL than an already loaded team.

That's also possible.
Like I said, we did manage to pluck Stecher off that team. We did try hard to get Caggiula as well, but he decided to go to Edmonton.
As I said before, Edmonton is on an upswing. If they can get a couple of decent Dmen look out. 
My point (originally) was, if you were Boeser, and you had to choose which team to go to - Van or Edm - which would you choose? 
He'd have the opportunity to play a lot on either team so that point is moot....
Think about it.
I hope it doesn't happen, but wishing doesn't make dreams come true. 

8 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Sure, anything can happen. That's called speculation. Whether your speculation was warranted with any evidence is what I was getting at. There is none at this point.  We got enough to worry about as a fanbase, no need to create more things to worry about. 

Thats my take. 

EW

8 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Sure, anything can happen. That's called speculation. Whether your speculation was warranted with any evidence is what I was getting at. There is none at this point.  We got enough to worry about as a fanbase, no need to create more things to worry about. 

Thats my take. 

EW

Fair enough. These kids are highly sought after these days. and you know there are other teams just waiting to pounce on a guy the second you blink. So hopefully when the time comes they have a pen in that kids hand before someone else gives him one.
It's also fair to say not all of us exactly have the trust we may have had in the beginning, for management when Benning got here.
The only move he's made that I didn't have to think about was Sutter. I knew that kid was money, and he's proven that.

Boeser would have to add two more years without a paycheck for that to happen. Plus reject the team that drafted him. If you have done any research on Boeser, that would be very out of character.

This guy didn't take off his Canucks gear after he was drafted. There was a story about someone seeing him wearing it at a restaurant with his family.

This guy turned down playing for the US U18 squad because that meant abandoning his team before the end of their season. His high school team. 

His family has limited means, he will want to earn some money and help out at home. Two more years of no pay will also mean something to him. 

All that plus there is zero indication that he is inclined to leave. 

Idle speculation.  That's all. 

EW

20 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Until/unless the Canucks are willing to go full rebuild and stop trying to band-aid the anemic lineup with overpaid vets picked up on trade or on the UFA market, they will not be able to keep any promise of handing out big minutes to NCAA free agents.

So Eriksson - is your idea of what the Canucks are.  Got a single other example?  Your former goaltender, an expiring contract.

Decent form, but little substance SabreFan1.

Brian Gionta and Josh Gorges. 

Touchee.

6 minutes ago, Four Sport Guru said:

The few times recently we have drafted in the top 10, this group has missed a few NHL ready players that could have helped (Tkachuk, Ehlers, Nylander, Chychrun) but other teams have as well. Would Nylander and Chychrun look better today than Virtanen and Juolevi? Easy yes...

Better today, maybe. How well would Nylander do with WD and the western conference getting third and fourth line minutes?  

WN really benefited from playing in the AHL last year. That's why I wanted Jake to start there this year. Give him one season and see what he can do next season. He needs to be good enough to take a top six role or he needs or stay in the AHL until he is subject to waivers. 

JC vs OJ. I actually wanted JC at the draft, but it is way to early to call it. We new OJ needed to gain size and strength. JC already had a NHL frame. 

Again, 5 years is really when we can call it. The underdogs can still prove themselves. 

1 hour ago, darkpoet said:

He's indicated he's likely to go pro after this season. There's only one team he can sign with if he does so: us. He'd have to play two more years of college hockey and then wait until mid-August of 2019 to even qualify as a free agent able to sign with any other team. Let's just calm down about whether or not he's explicitly stated he isn't going to pull a Vesey.

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You mean the full blown rebuild that Buffalo is on, and is a point less in one less game? That kind of improvement? You can draft bottom 5 and still have a long way to go on progression. I doubt this fanbase has the patience of a 10 year rebuild that Edmonton is just coming out of. 

Yeah, they may have blown it up, but they made the mistake of trying to make trades and signings.  In other words, they strayed from what we are told is a proper re-build.  Obviously, they should only play their own draft picks.  They were on their way to greatness after a mere 5 years of suckitude, but Kane sets them back 10 years.  Right guys?  Did I dumb myself down enough?

21 hours ago, elvis15 said:

So who's our next 1st line center we'll pull out of that particular sleeve? And isn't every other team also connected to that same sleeve?

Yes and no. We have an immediate spot for that guy, many others don't. 

Is there a list out there for NCAA free agents for next year?

Archived