The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mr. James Bennington the Third on 1040 Nov. 18th

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

sounded a little angry with the no appoligies comment.

Well, maybe he should be. Its easy to say "trade the twins" "blow it up" and all that, but reality is hard. Plus you have to have leadership and at least some kind of competitiveness to rebuild a team. Is OEL really benefitting from being with AZ, or is he going to flee to a contender at his 1st chance? This year has been more painful to watch than last year, but I also think the kids are picking up some good habits, particularly work ethic. I don't see a whiff of the laziness that plagued Edmonton for years, or the lack of defensive responsibility that is the Leafs this year. So its ugly, but a good ugly? Does that make sense? 

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

+1. Sorry I'm all out! 

Honestly it makes me happy that he po'd that dink Bergevin over Subban. Thats what you get for sending us Prust. 

Me too, but I'm going on record as being happier he didn't make the Subban trade. If we draft and develop well we could have the assets in another 2 years to pull off a blockbuster like that, but at the time that likely would have killed us.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Well, maybe he should be. Its easy to say "trade the twins" "blow it up" and all that, but reality is hard. Plus you have to have leadership and at least some kind of competitiveness to rebuild a team. Is OEL really benefitting from being with AZ, or is he going to flee to a contender at his 1st chance? This year has been more painful to watch than last year, but I also think the kids are picking up some good habits, particularly work ethic. I don't see a whiff of the laziness that plagued Edmonton for years, or the lack of defensive responsibility that is the Leafs this year. So its ugly, but a good ugly? Does that make sense? 

seemed to stress the be patient thing , must be getting tired of the questioning, i liked the anger thing, thought he was to open and polite in the past.

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol nicely played sir!

It's true though. When management says things like 'be competitive' or 'how to win' they don't mean we'll be competing for the cup and winning most of our games. 

Those vets are here to teach the young'uns how to train, practice and play the game the right way so that when they are more experienced and their own core and we have more horses in a few years that they'll have a far better understanding of how to win, with a better team. 

That they don't have to go through an EDM situation where the team has to float around rudderless for a few years and re-learn how to be an NHL playoff caliber team again despite having all the talent in the world.

Despite management repeating this over and over and OVER...there still seems to be a LOT of CDC who doesn't 'get it'.

This year has been more painful to watch than last year, but I also think the kids are picking up some good habits, particularly work ethic. I don't see a whiff of the laziness that plagued Edmonton for years, or the lack of defensive responsibility that is the Leafs this year. So its ugly, but a good ugly? Does that make sense? 

Exactly.

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

The problem is sooner or later you have to start passing the reigns. Horvat is already staking his claim as future captain and certainly looks like he cares about winning and losing far more than the vet leadership on this team does. Gudbranson too seems at least emotionally invested. The winning culture is going to come from guys like that, not from the vets.

I also disagree that the vets (minus Hansen and Burrows) really show the kids how to work hard and leave it all on the ice. Guys like Horvat are the ones showing that far more. I mean, could the Sedins be lazier defensive players? I don't think even their biggest fans could argue that point.

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Like "I'd be friends with this team right now, but there won't be any romance".

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem is sooner or later you have to start passing the reigns. Horvat is already staking his claim as future captain and certainly looks like he cares about winning and losing far more than the vet leadership on this team does. Gudbranson too seems at least emotionally invested. The winning culture is going to come from guys like that, not from the vets.

While I agree with you, I also think that the 19 and 20 year players will pay a little more attention when someone named Sedin or even Burrows is talking to them.  There is a bit more of a respect factor.  Not saying Bo and Gudbranson are not our future leaders and a good example for the young kids, there voice won't have as much impact as a veteran.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Oh for sure. I would love them to just put Bo in as the 1st line C, and put Burr/Hansen and Sutter on the wings with him and let Bo take on that role and live up to it. Maybe he is our #1 C, lets find out.

I still think the twins are good players, but they clearly need fewer minutes. They're gassed too much of the time and I bet they'd be more effective playing 16-17 minutes, not 20-21. 

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Your argument without merit. When have the Sedins ever done anything other than lead by example? They have rarely been the overly emotional type, rather quite composed. The transition of leadership is occurring before our eyes, but it won't happen overnight. At least there isn't too much pressure on what pieces of the new young core are already here because there ARE vets affording them the time to grow at there own pace, some faster than others.

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

And apparent denial.

Does he not see the empty seats? Or the crowd rush in the third?

And so what is he supposed to do to fix that?  Trade off all the vets, and have a team that's even worse?  The team is being retooled/rebuilt so there's obviously going to be a period of downtime in the transition, it cannot be avoided.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Answered your own assertion -- it's happening as we watch.  There's no switch-flip, it'll happen naturally.

Just now, stuman491 said:

While I agree with you, I also think that the 19 and 20 year players will pay a little more attention when someone named Sedin or even Burrows is talking to them.  There is a bit more of a respect factor.  Not saying Bo and Gudbranson are not our future leaders and a good example for the young kids, there voice won't have as much impact as a veteran.

That is true but the flip side (and something I have heard from several NHL players over the years) is that leadership by example has hands down the biggest impact on young players buying in. 

The Sedins are good offensive players but are lazy defensively and are largely given offensive deployment. They do not have that passion and step up quality to their game. It's just not who they are. That is not a knock on them. But it is starting to look like the "Do as I say, not as I do" leadership is not working on this team to develop the culture Benning wants. It's not all on the Sedins, they are just the highest profile example of it.

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Your argument without merit. When have the Sedins ever done anything other than lead by example? They have rarely been the overly emotional type, rather quite composed. The transition of leadership is occurring before our eyes, but it won't happen overnight. At least there isn't too much pressure on what pieces of the new young core are already here because there ARE vets affording them the time to grow at there own pace, some faster than others.

I don't think the Sedins are really lead by example types on the ice. Off the ice for sure with their commitment to training, attitude, etc. On the ice, not really. They are out there to create offense, nothing more. They don't show young kids why Willie is harping on them to play responsible defensively or hustle on a backcheck. 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That is true but the flip side (and something I have heard from several NHL players over the years) is that leadership by example has hands down the biggest impact on young players buying in. 

The Sedins are good offensive players but are lazy defensively and are largely given offensive deployment. They do not have that passion and step up quality to their game. It's just not who they are. That is not a knock on them. But it is starting to look like the "Do as I say, not as I do" leadership is not working on this team to develop the culture Benning wants. It's not all on the Sedins, they are just the highest profile example of it.

Can't really argue with you.  I agree that the Sedin's play has declined.  I also think they lean on their previous accomplishments when it comes to leadership and they are given those reigns because they have been two of the best leaders and team players the Canucks have ever seen.  It is super frustrating to watch their defensive game right now.

I still think they hold value in teaching the younger players how to be good pros.  However I wish they were able to do this while play a supporting role on the team.  If that was the case I don't think we see a ton of criticism with the Sedins.

If the Canucks swapped coaches with the top team in the league do you think that the top team will fall in the standings and the Canucks will climb in the standings.

I doubt it.

Willie has been handed a past its prime first line, a bunch of AHLers, Bo, Sutter and a decent D core with virtually no offensive ability.  Can he make some better line combos or play Jake more, sure...but who knows what kind of pressure he is under to win now and he may not have the luxury of  letting young guys learn on the job unless they really impress right away like Stecher.

its not Willies fault that Baer cant pick the corner when he is setup by Bo. Its not willies fault the bottom 6 probably cant get the puck in open barn door.

This team is gonna stink for 2-3 more years.  Embrace the pain and hopefully rejoice on draft day.  

JB has drafted well in the later rounds.  I look forward to see what he can uncover in the second round during the next couple years.

Archived