The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mr. James Bennington the Third on 1040 Nov. 18th

Ossi Vaananen

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't think the Sedins are really lead by example types on the ice. Off the ice for sure with their commitment to training, attitude, etc. On the ice, not really. They are out there to create offense, nothing more. They don't show young kids why Willie is harping on them to play responsible defensively or hustle on a backcheck. 

So then what, specifically, is it that you are proposing?

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't think the Sedins are really lead by example types on the ice. Off the ice for sure with their commitment to training, attitude, etc. On the ice, not really. They are out there to create offense, nothing more. They don't show young kids why Willie is harping on them to play responsible defensively or hustle on a backcheck. 

I don't disagree, but I do think elite offensive players are given a bit of a pass on the defensive end.  Ovechkin comes to mind.  When he half back checks everyone is thrilled.  But he puts up so many points everyone is okay with his play.  It used to be the case with the Sedins as well.  They made up for all their defensive mistakes by putting points on the board.  Since no one else is scoring right now the Sedins are under an extra powerful microscope. 

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I think management was well aware that this season could be anywhere from bubble playoff to top 10 pick team before it started. People pinning it all on WD are just looking for an easy scapegoat and can't be bothered with things like context or critical thinking.

Do I agree with every decision WD's made? No. Do I think he's the sole difference between our current place in the standings and being closer to a ~15th place team? No. At best a better, world class coach might have us a few spots better. And comically, that's actually the opposite of what most people clamoring for him to be fired actually want, as they're largely 'tankers' :lol:

As I pointed out in the other thread.  We are not where we thought we would be.  Bubble playoff teams are in the 85-95 point range.  We are on pace for 68 points. Our roster hasn't changed from when we all laughed at the 65 point predictions.  Unless you're willing to agree the Eriksson is a 10 goal player, sedins now only 50 point players, Baertschi being only a 5 goal player and Hutton a 10 point player, then this team isn't where we thought it would be.  Had our players played closer to what our season expectations were we would be winning more.

The roster compiled really isn't that bad.  Players just aren't bringing what they are capable of and yes part of that, does rely on the coach.

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They're actually decent defensively but they've never been the fastest players and aren't getting any faster. That's where they get burned defensively for the most part. But it's not from a lack of try or positional awareness etc. 

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I think management was well aware that this season could be anywhere from bubble playoff to top 10 pick team before it started. People pinning it all on WD are just looking for an easy scapegoat and can't be bothered with things like context or critical thinking.

Do I agree with every decision WD's made? No. Do I think he's the sole difference between our current place in the standings and being closer to a ~15th place team? No. At best a better, world class coach might have us a few spots better. And comically, that's actually the opposite of what most people clamoring for him to be fired actually want, as they're largely 'tankers' :lol:

I get it and understand what the team is doing but it doesnt mean I have to like it...I dont believe for a minute that WD is the sole problem and I could live with WD lasting the year but I dont believe he is the coach for this team going forward..I wasnt a fan from day 1 and Im not now...the reasons have been hashed over on this board for 2-3 years now....many other coaches have been fired with better records than WD...what makes this scenario so different...the fact that we have a few rookies on the team and the fact we are supposed to be going through some sort of rebuild on the fly so losing is acceptable?

Just now, Darius71 said:

If the Canucks swapped coaches with the top team in the league do you think that the top team will fall in the standings and the Canucks will climb in the standings.

I doubt it.

Willie has been handed a past its prime first line, a bunch of AHLers, Bo, Sutter and a decent D core with virtually no offensive ability.  Can he make some better line combos or play Jake more, sure...but who knows what kind of pressure he is under to win now and he may not have the luxury of  letting young guys learn on the job unless they really impress right away like Stecher.

This team is gonna stink for 2-3 more years.  Embrace the pain and hopefully rejoice on draft day.  

JB has drafted well in the later rounds.  I look forward to see what he can uncover in the second round during the next couple years.

So you don't think one of AV or Quenneville would be a better coach than Willie? I'd sure like to find out for real.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

As I pointed out in the other thread.  We are not where we thought we would be.  Bubble playoff teams are in the 85-95 point range.  We are on pace for 68 points. Our roster hasn't changed from when we all laughed at the 65 point predictions.  Unless you're willing to agree the Eriksson is a 10 goal player, sedins now only 50 point players, Baertschi being only a 5 goal player and Hutton a 10 point player, then this team isn't where we thought it would be.  Had our players played closer to what our season expectations were we would be winning more.

The roster compiled really isn't that bad.  Players just aren't bringing what they are capable of and yes part of that, does rely on the coach.

We were a bubble playoff team IF things went well. They haven't 

And no, I don't think Eriksson is a 10 goal scorer, Baer a 5 goal scorer etc. But they do both have patterns of being slow starters. That sort of thing is easier to mask on a better team where other guys can pick up the slack a bit. On a middling to poor team, it gets exposed and we see what we have presently. My guess is we end up somewhere around 75-80 points assuming those guys ramp it up further in to the season.

20 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

So you don't think one of AV or Quenneville would be a better coach than Willie? I'd sure like to find out for real.

They are probably better coaches but how much higher in the standings would they be with AV or Quen at the helm?  Negligible at best I think. This is not a very good roster.

Updated OP with soundcloud link. 

Man, I hoped we were closer with Rodin. It's good that Benning is transparent though, showing us his cards about a defenseman being an option for a trade. It also explains the waiver wire business, or lack thereof - as he wants to support Utica players. It seems he learned his lesson on speaking about other players. 

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

So we can finish say with 12th pick instead of 8th? Again, I'm not sure why people have fixated SOOO much on this.

6 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I get it and understand what the team is doing but it doesnt mean I have to like it...I dont believe for a minute that WD is the sole problem and I could live with WD lasting the year but I dont believe he is the coach for this team going forward..I wasnt a fan from day 1 and Im not now...the reasons have been hashed over on this board for 2-3 years now....many other coaches have been fired with better records than WD...what makes this scenario so different...the fact that we have a few rookies on the team and the fact we are supposed to be going through some sort of rebuild on the fly so losing is acceptable?

Yes, well a LOT of those reasons have been absolute crap as well :lol:

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Take that USA today!

Almost last place bottom of almost every NHL stat and still thinks his team is competitive and could make the playoffs. lol. 

The laughing stock of the NHL is Benning and his team. Oh well next year at this time it won't be the coaches head everyone will be calling for it'll be his. 

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

They're actually decent defensively but they've never been the fastest players and aren't getting any faster. That's where they get burned defensively for the most part. But it's not from a lack of try or positional awareness etc. 

I see a lot more lack of try defensively the last few years and a lot of times where they are just not in good defensive position. Their lack of speed certainly plays a significant role but honestly it goes beyond that. 

My point is that the leadership by example thing doesn't really apply to them. No one is looking at the Sedins to figure out how Desjardins wants them to backcheck. No one is saying, "That's how you do it!" No one is saying that their passion and drive to win let's them put the team on their back at critical moments. There have been times in the past but they are really one speed only type players that don't really raise their game like those leaders by example are always credited with as being a big component of their leadership.

The Sedins are great players and people but fans here are so desperate for them to be considered in the same vein as players like Toews, Yzerman, etc. when it comes to their leadership that they just don't look at reality. 

6 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

They are probably better coaches but how much higher in the standings would they be with AV or Quen at the helm?  Negligible at best I think. This is not a very good roster.

I think Q would get a ton out of the young players on this team and the results would be much different under him.

3 minutes ago, combover said:

Almost last place bottom of almost every NHL stat and still thinks his team is competitive and could make the playoffs. lol. 

The laughing stock of the NHL is Benning and his team. Oh well next year at this time it won't be the coaches head everyone will be calling for it'll be his. 

To be fair we are only 6 points out of first in the Pacific.  If we can play .600 hockey there is a good chance we make the playoffs.  Not saying we will, but you can understand why Benning thinks we can compete still.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I see a lot more lack of try defensively the last few years and a lot of times where they are just not in good defensive position. Their lack of speed certainly plays a significant role but honestly it goes beyond that. 

My point is that the leadership by example thing doesn't really apply to them. No one is looking at the Sedins to figure out how Desjardins wants them to backcheck. No one is saying, "That's how you do it!" No one is saying that their passion and drive to win let's them put the team on their back at critical moments. There have been times in the past but they are really one speed only type players that don't really raise their game like those leaders by example are always credited with as being a big component of their leadership.

The Sedins are great players and people but fans here are so desperate for them to be considered in the same vein as players like Toews, Yzerman, etc. when it comes to their leadership that they just don't look at reality. 

I doubt they're looked at to show the goalies how to make saves either...not really sure what your point is...?

8 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Updated OP with soundcloud link. 

Man, I hoped we were closer with Rodin. It's good that Benning is transparent though, showing us his cards about a defenseman being an option for a trade. It also explains the waiver wire business, or lack thereof - as he wants to support Utica players. It seems he learned his lesson on speaking about other players. 

Considering people were throwing around after New Years as a return for Rodin when he got hurt, I'll take 3 more weeks in a heartbeat!

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I doubt they're looked at to show the goalies how to make saves either...not really sure what your point is...?

I was responding to the deluded notion that they are leaders by example. All they do is talk about needing to be better without ever really going out and just starting by being better themselves. THAT is leadership by example.

I have long said that the real culture of winning and being a competitive 60 min team will not start until the next leadership group is in place and the Sedins are gone. The passive leadership style we have had in Naslund and the Sedins served us well for a long time, make no mistake about that. They deserve a lot of credit.

For a team going through a tough period of years and rebuilding though, we could use a change in leadership style to rally the troops. We need that "it" factor of taking over a game and showing others how it's done. In more areas than just the offensive zone or on the pp.

Archived