The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mr. James Bennington the Third on 1040 Nov. 18th

Ossi Vaananen

1What I found interesting "monitoring" the willy situation, may mean Benning is thinking of making a move there. 

2Also instead of saying his usual "retooling" he was saying rebuilding which probably means he's now more open to a rebuild philosophy then just changing out one or two players.

3 He said if there is a trade it will be from the D. Will not be at all surprised to see a trade soon. My guess is he's waiting for Tanev to be healthy and then seeing what people will offer.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

And it's a frankly stupid sentiment. Locker rooms have more than one leader and there's more than one 'type' of leadership.

Anyone forming an opinion the Sedins aren't good leaders or Hank a good captain because they don't fit within their small little preconcieved and ignorant box of what they think a 'captain' should look like, aren't particularly worth listening too.

Its not about suggesting they aren't good leaders. They are in their own way and that is not right or wrong, it is just different.

My point is that we have had a passive leadership style for a very long time now. We had the odd more passionate guy like Kesler or Bieksa but for the most part it has been the same for years. 

Given em where this team is at, struggling and turning over to younger players - likely to continue for at least a few more years - it is a situation unlike we had for many years under Naslund or the Sedins. Their style is much better on a winning team that just gets the job done. And it worked well for a long time. I just feel the environment now is much different and those leaders who can change the complexion of a game and lead by example in all areas will be an important part of coming out the other side.

Not everything needs to be a black and white comparison. Just because I think the above does not mean I am disrespecting the Sedins at all. They just aren't that type of leader.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not everything needs to be a black and white comparison. Just because I think the above does not mean I am disrespecting the Sedins at all. They just aren't that type of leader.

And as I noted earlier, they're also not goalies.

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hmm... I seem to recall someone saying that the Canucks probably brought Virtanen back to town so they could have a sit down meeting before assigning him to Utica for a longer stint. ;) 

Am I the subject of this retort? I don't believe I've said anything on the matter. 

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

And it's a frankly stupid sentiment. Locker rooms have more than one leader and there's more than one 'type' of leadership.

Anyone forming an opinion the Sedins aren't good leaders or Hank a good captain because they don't fit within their small little preconcieved and ignorant box of what they think a 'captain' should look like, aren't particularly worth listening too.

In leadership qualities

Sedins or Iginla

Sedins or Linden

Sedins or Toews

Sedins or Benn

Sedins or Doan

Sedins or Getzlaf

Sedins or Tavares

Sedins are right up there with Jumbo Joe, or Markus Naslund, similar leadership to a Hamhuis or Backtrom.  There good leaders and good players but probably not your first choice if you are asking someone to go to war (playoffs) with.

I'm by no means Willie D fan, but apart from hiring Jacques Lemaire to play the trap, I don't think a better coach would get much more wins or points out of this team than Willie has this year or last. I think he has the team playing better hockey this year even if the results aren't there so I don't see the point in changing coaches this season. I think we'll wait and see what other coaches get axed and wait and see what our draft position is this off season and go from there.

The reason WD hasn't been fired is because for all talk from Benning about wanting to compete for a wildcard he knows this is a bottom feeder team this year, and probably next year. I believe him that there is a solid pool of young players that will keep getting better, especially in goal and on D, but he still needs to draft a number 1 centre.

Are we gonna bring Travis Green up to lose for a couple more seasons until we've drafted our way back to being a competitive team, then go out and get a real NHL coach?

Just now, Ossi Vaananen said:

Am I the subject of this retort? I don't believe I've said anything on the matter. 

Pretty sure that's directed at all of CDC and is in regards to Sid commenting on pretty much that in one of the Virtanen threads.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

In leadership qualities

Sedins or Iginla

Sedins or Linden

Sedins or Toews

Sedins or Benn

Sedins or Doan

Sedins or Getzlaf

Sedins or Tavares

Sedins are right up there with Jumbo Joe, or Markus Naslund, similar leadership to a Hamhuis or Backtrom.  There good leaders and good players but probably not your first choice if you are asking someone to go to war (playoffs) with.

Or Lidstrom or Zetterberg or Sakic or Neidermeyer...

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

And as I noted earlier, they're also not goalies.

You don't think goalies appreciate it when their leaders are the hardest back checkers on the team? Talk to a few NHL goalies. I know a lot of NHL players and former players and pretty much all of them point to guys like Toews etc as the most effective type of leaders in hockey. For good reason.

Again, no disrespect meant to the Sedins. But they are not the type of leaders you want to go to war with. Brad Marchand punching Daniel (as one example) is something many former players have told me was embarrassing for the leader of any team and actually deflates a team.

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

sounded a little angry with the no appoligies comment.

I agree with you on that note CD.  JB is an angry guy, who is defending his philosophy of 'how to rebuild' a team properly.  His method is being criticized, and he's defending himself.  He's spitting mad.  The longer our team struggles, the more angry I think JB's tone will be.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Avs are really struggling as well as us, so perhaps something is feasible.  Other consideration is that we've yet to see all of Hutton's upside, so that needs to be factored in.

True...the more I think about it, Edler might appeal to them more since he can help them win in the now, they do have Zadorov as their young LHD, either way Landeskog would be welcome in a canucks Uni.

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

True...the more I think about it, Edler might appeal to them more since he can help them win in the now, they do have Zadorov as their young LHD, either way Landeskog would be welcome in a canucks Uni.

Landeskog would be a good addition but I doubt we have what it takes to get him. 

Landeskog-Horvat-Eriksson I could live with as a first line.

27 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Its not about suggesting they aren't good leaders. They are in their own way and that is not right or wrong, it is just different.

My point is that we have had a passive leadership style for a very long time now. We had the odd more passionate guy like Kesler or Bieksa but for the most part it has been the same for years. 

Given em where this team is at, struggling and turning over to younger players - likely to continue for at least a few more years - it is a situation unlike we had for many years under Naslund or the Sedins. Their style is much better on a winning team that just gets the job done. And it worked well for a long time. I just feel the environment now is much different and those leaders who can change the complexion of a game and lead by example in all areas will be an important part of coming out the other side.

All of your poo flinging at at their leadership style still doesn't answer my question: what would you do about it? Be specific. All I'm seeing out of you are narrow observations and complaints.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I thought we were talking about leadership.

A largely veteran team though much like we had for many years where that style of passive leadership is more effective. On a rebuilding team where confidence and even swagger is a necessary element a more robust leadership group would help. Do you think anyone looks at the Sedins and knows that when the chips are down they will take over a game in all three zones to push the team to victory? There are just too many examples where they haven't been able to for anyone to put their confidence in that.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I thought we were talking about leadership.

Leaders lead by example..Style of play is a part of leadership, grit and not backing down is a part of style of play.  Watching an assistant captain get rag dolled with no push back doesn't reach of leadership.

Like i said they are good leaders,  good in the community, good work ethic, good role models, skilled players and all those attributes help being good leaders. but there's also needs to be a time when players can turn on the nice guy switch and battle for there team with a goal, a hit or even a fight.  When iggy used to fight in the playoffs the flames always built of that energy.  

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think Q would get a ton out of the young players on this team and the results would be much different under him.

Is this a playoff team with Q behind the bench?  Dunno, I think its hard to believe.

When I see guys like Baer and Eriksson, and basically the whole bottom 6, waffling on shots and missing the net, not to mention the fact that maybe one or two guys on D are capable of even getting  shot on net ....i dont know how much the coach can be blamed.

Would Bo and Virt get more ice time...probably!

Archived