The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Why is Sutter such a good fit with the Sedins?

Dazzle

Benning has called Sutter a 'foundational player'. He is the type of player that seems to be able to do it all - score goals, be a good faceoff man, kill penalties (score SH goals) and can play on any line. This is not mentioning his good character.

Now, he's a winger for the Sedins, with the option of taking faceoffs - and he has produced immediately. He's one of the team's leading point getters and he has regularly scored goals. He has also helped players like Granlund elevate their play.

Last game (against PHX), aside from scoring a goal, he made a really nice passing play, leading to a grade A scoring opportunity for Daniel - a short breakaway opportunity that didn't score. Nonetheless, he had the presence of mind to make that play, under pressure.

Why has he succeeded where many before him could not? Sutter and the Sedins are serious threats now.

Sutter plays the game simple - don't get me wrong, he's not unskilled, but he plays simple.  He'll do the dirty work - like taking out OEL in the corner on the Edler/Sedin goal - while the Sedin's do their wizardry stuff.  Plus, he's got an outstanding 200 foot game so the twins don't need to be completely on the hook for playing both ends of the ice.  Not to mention his work ethic is one of the few on the team that can match the twins.  He's on a 40+ point pace for the season which is great imo.   

Unpredictability is the biggest thing. The more skilled players the Sedins can play with, the less their moves are anticipated. That's why it's important to change the 3rd player on their line many times, to keep opponents off balance and second guessing. Burrows, Hansen, Eriksson and Sutter can all work for periods of time. Whatever it takes to penetrate the defense they are faced with.

The issue is finding another great line with the pieces we have left (to have 2 scoring lines).

2 minutes ago, PalindromeSyndrome said:

He wins a lot of puck battles, and his game reminds me a lot of Burrows' game when he was in his prime. Seems to free up the puck or keeps it in with his forechecking. Know's when to push for offense and when to play more

defensive. Good all-around player. 

Exactly. Burrows after his trash talking days, and before his physical decline.  Eriksson was NOT the right fit at all. Another soft Euro with the Sedins, will not work in a sustained way. Maybe in fits and spurts. (!) but they needed a grinder type that has very good hockey smarts, like Burrows. Eriksson may just fit on a second or third line, but that's a steep price to pay. 

I think it's a whole range of attributes.

- right handed shot helps - his one-timers on Hank's off side (we all know where Hank likes to set up) are to his strong side.   This also imo creates more space for Hank in particular and the blueline as they're more dangerous through the entire zone.

- speed - he gets to and retrieves pucks - something the Sedins need - he gets in on the forecheck - and he gets back on the backcheck, limiting possession against.  This also reduces their work load - and playing D takes more energy - the less of it the not so fleet Sedins have to endure, the better.

- has a relatively shoot-first mentality for a center - at least when he needs to - and he knows to shoot the puck when he's with them and has the opportunity.

- his vision is under-rated - he sees and reads off them very well - he has excellent two way hockey intelligence - and therefore he knows when to join them in the cycle and is very capable of the hard areas aspects and board work, he  knows when to go to the front of the net, he's able to peel off and support when possession is in the balance....

- he wins faceoffs and therefore they start with possession more often than not.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

- right handed shot helps - his one-timers on Hank's off side (we all know where Hank likes to set up) are to his strong side.   This also imo creates more space for Hank in particular and the blueline as they're more dangerous through the entire zone.

- speed - he gets to and retrieves pucks - something the Sedins need - he gets in on the forecheck - and he gets back on the backcheck, limiting possession against.  This also reduces their work load - and playing D takes more energy - the less of it the not so fleet Sedins have to endure, the better.

- has a relatively shoot-first mentality for a center - at least when he needs to - and he knows to shoot the puck when he's with them and has the opportunity.

- his vision is under-rated - he sees and reads off them very well - he has excellent two way hockey intelligence - and therefore he knows when to join them in the cycle and is very capable of the hard areas aspects and board work, he  knows when to go to the front of the net, he's able to peel off and support when possession is in the balance....

- he wins faceoffs and therefore they start with possession more often than not.

Beautiful post there, oldnews.

It really seems like he's the model 'two way player' that coaches want all players to be, but they don't always succeed. Sutter's game is so much more polished than most players, yet he's only 26. (Sedins peaked at 29).

Sutter can shoot (we've seen his snapshots/wristers) yet isn't a puckhog. I really like his passing.

The Sutter for Bonino trade is/was a good one for both teams. It's too bad Sutter got injured last year.

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I have tried to figure this out on many occasions. Each prolonged line mate they have had over the years don't really have that much in common. Is Sutter like Hansen, Carter or Burrows? Not really. It's a mystery. 

Easy. He's a little bit out of all of those guys.

19 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Exactly. Burrows after his trash talking days, and before his physical decline.  Eriksson was NOT the right fit at all. Another soft Euro with the Sedins, will not work in a sustained way. Maybe in fits and spurts. (!) but they needed a grinder type that has very good hockey smarts, like Burrows. Eriksson may just fit on a second or third line, but that's a steep price to pay. 

I love how Sutter works with them, but I disagree with this part of your post and think you either haven't watched that much of Eriksson or have a preconceived idea of the type of player he is.  

Eriksson is not a soft Euro that can't handle the hard areas - he does quite well in them (scores his share of goals in those places Burrows used to).  He's also a pretty good forechecker and solid two way player (who can also dish, score, or play pitch and catch with them) so he has some of the right ingredients, and arguably more than Vrbata did, but Vrbata had that elite right handed shot - it's just that he also had an aversion to forechecking and playing in the hard areas.

Is Eriksson the perfect fit for the Sedins - not necessarily, but I think you're overstating the case that he will not work with them and is too soft.  Burrows wasn't exactly "hard" - it was more a matter of going to the hard areas - which Loui does do.

7 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I have tried to figure this out on many occasions. Each prolonged line mate they have had over the years don't really have that much in common. Is Sutter like Hansen, Carter or Burrows? Not really. It's a mystery. 

He's kinda like Hansen imo except that he wins a lot of draws, has a bigger wingspan and probably has a more suitable shot (gets it off quicker than Honey Badger).

30 minutes ago, oldnews said:

So... sounds like we didn't "overpay" after all.

I do think that Loui and Sutter will be a nice veteran pair in the top 6 once the Sedin's are finished. It will give guys like Boeser the experienced line mates they need to succeed and make losing the twins less painful. I was annoyed with WD with him not giving Loui a longer look with the twins but if Loui can find his game on another line that will be good for the future.

Archived