The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Why is Sutter such a good fit with the Sedins?

Dazzle

The Sedins simply-put just need a couple things from a good linemate:

1) Good physicality - able to open up ice with hits and screens. Sutter did that perfectly on the Daniel PPG where he hit the Coyotes player in the corner, takes out a guy and gives the twins and Edler plenty of ice to play with.

2) - Good right handed shot. Simple. The Sedins are lefties and have always thrived with a righty.

3) - Good defence. The Sedins suck defensively, Sutter's our best defensive forward.

4) - Good enough offensive vision. Doesn't take much but if you can read the Sedins you can play with them and Sutter can.

I think along the same line, Horvat would be brilliant with the twins and definitely deserves a chance with them.

As I said elsewhere, Sutter is a bump and shove you off the puck type guy and goes 200ft, strange how his type of player is working with the Sedins, maybe that's what the Sedins needed this whole time- come to think of it, Anson Carter was sorta like that too.

Sutter has been a pleasant surprise so far this season.  He has created plays better than expected and has shown consistent chemistry on the wing with the Sedins (dating back to last year).  I'm still not sold on him as a second line center but he is a stable player and contributor on most nights whether or not it's on the scoresheet.

I'm sure it has been brought up but I think he is so successful with the Sedins because like Carter, Burrows and Hansen, Sutter is a good forecheck.  He doesn't need to run over guys - he has good speed and decent size, and smarts to know where to go.  Pyatt was decent but a bit too slow.  Bernier wasn't always the best at getting into position and wasn't as good at pick retrieval.

10 hours ago, kilgore said:

Exactly. Burrows after his trash talking days, and before his physical decline.  Eriksson was NOT the right fit at all. Another soft Euro with the Sedins, will not work in a sustained way. Maybe in fits and spurts. (!) but they needed a grinder type that has very good hockey smarts, like Burrows. Eriksson may just fit on a second or third line, but that's a steep price to pay. 

If the Canuxks are going nowhere by trade deadline, Eriksson will get dealt.

5 hours ago, Me_ said:

If the Canuxks are going nowhere by trade deadline, Eriksson will get dealt.

I disagree. Regardless if you are for or against the Eriksson signing, the fact of the matter is that no team is going to want to take on that contract in a trade. Even if his production picks up, the value and term of his contract coupled with his age makes that contract untradeable. Eriksson is going to be here for 6 years so you might as well get used to the idea. 

On 2016-11-18 at 3:36 PM, oldnews said:

I love how Sutter works with them, but I disagree with this part of your post and think you either haven't watched that much of Eriksson or have a preconceived idea of the type of player he is.  

Eriksson is not a soft Euro that can't handle the hard areas - he does quite well in them (scores his share of goals in those places Burrows used to).  He's also a pretty good forechecker and solid two way player (who can also dish, score, or play pitch and catch with them) so he has some of the right ingredients, and arguably more than Vrbata did, but Vrbata had that elite right handed shot - it's just that he also had an aversion to forechecking and playing in the hard areas.

Is Eriksson the perfect fit for the Sedins - not necessarily, but I think you're overstating the case that he will not work with them and is too soft.  Burrows wasn't exactly "hard" - it was more a matter of going to the hard areas - which Loui does do.

True, he isn't worth 6 million as a floater. "soft" is the wrong word. He just has looked that way so far. Shying away from the puck. Lack of confidence. He's actually looking stronger on the puck lately. I am cautiously optimistic. Not only is it a new WD system, Its a new city, hockey mad, in a new country he's never lived in as a pro, hockey mad. Not to mention a new Willie D system. I'd give him some time to adjust.

More that he plays a similar style to the Sedins. Only with more defensive gifts. All three can take punishment. But as simple as it sounds, what worked best was someone willing to take slashes and crosschecks non stop in front of the net and dish in the feeds from either Daniel or Henrik, after they had their keep-away fun for awhile. Not that that was the only play that worked but would you see Eriksson take that role?

I think he and the Sedins will eventually be paired up again more permanently once he's settled in, and they'll find their own kind of groove.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎18 at 7:09 PM, Lancaster said:

He is successful because he does what the Sedins can't or are unable to do.  

You are exactly right. The Sedin's have deficiencies which is becoming more and more apparent. They are stuck in the defensive zone more and more lately and Sutter is able to bail them out most of the time. He also is the one that can win the fight along the boards to gain possession. Not to mention he can win face-offs and has finish around the net.

I mentioned in the beginning of the season that he should play with the Twins but others thought I was off my rocker. They had good success last year and I was wondering why it took WD so long to figure this out.

1 minute ago, Noseforthenet said:

I just like Sutter on the team. He is very solid. Him and Horvat could be a good 1-2 punch eventually for our top 2 centers like Kreijci and Bergeron.  I like the chemistry he has with the Sedins, but looking into the future, he's going to be here and the Sedins likely won't be.

Bo is looking more and more like our #1 center every day. I was dumbfounded as to why he did not start the O/T period against Chicago the other night.

Would like to see Eriksson and Bo form the top line and Sutter and the Twins on the second.

13 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Bo is looking more and more like our #1 center every day. I was dumbfounded as to why he did not start the O/T period against Chicago the other night.

Would like to see Eriksson and Bo form the top line and Sutter and the Twins on the second.

I like that, but I think he needs another season to get to that level of play. I wanna see at least 60 Pts out of him before given THAT responsibility.

On 2016-11-19 at 7:02 AM, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I disagree. Regardless if you are for or against the Eriksson signing, the fact of the matter is that no team is going to want to take on that contract in a trade. Even if his production picks up, the value and term of his contract coupled with his age makes that contract untradeable. Eriksson is going to be here for 6 years so you might as well get used to the idea. 

Good. Great veteran winger for Bo. I'm happy to see a 2nd line next year of Loui-Bo-Boeser, assuming Brock is ready.

Archived