The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposed rule changes.

I just couldn't find the time to search through the more than 2400 forums in this section to see if this thread already exists, so I will begin by apologizing forthright.

I have a some thoughts I think would make the game more fun to spectate and at the same time, increase scoring and generally make the game more exciting for the fans.  I am also curious to see what other ideas might be floating around.  Here's what i came up with, Take a sec, and think about it.

1.  The goalie should not be allowed to handle the puck anywhere below the red line/goal line. 

I feel like this would add a lot of excitement behind the net and allow teams to be more creative on dump ins. 

2.  If a goalie takes a penalty, the team with the powerplay or perhaps the team that took the penalty should have to choose between either a                     penalty shot, or 5 on 5 with the net empty and the goalie in the penalty box for 60 seconds.

That play in the Rangers game the other night, the one where Lundquist dove out and took the legs out from under Erickkson, on what                              appeared to be a certain goal got me thinking about this one.  Imagine the excitement and tension of watching the goalie come out of the                      penalty box and having to hustle his pads to get back in the crease.

3.   In overtime (since it's only 5 minutes) penalties should be 1 minute in duration, and to increase the opportunity to score maybe 3 on 2 would                     be much more adventageous than 4 on 3. 

Looking forward to reading this thread.

8 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I've always liked the idea of a three goalie per team system where 2 of your goalies have to split the game.

I'm not opposed to this on principle, necessarily.  But if you think guys like Luongo and Cloutier had it bad after meltdowns in the playoffs, imagine the tarring and feathering if it's the "second half" goalie that has a meltdown when the first guy was running a shutout.

Man, the Fuhr-Moog Oilers and Smith-Resch Islanders would have been something to behold compared to the rest of the league if two goalies had to play every game.

And we'd still have Luongo and Schneider with no controversy.

I say leave the game alone. It's been screwed up enough. But since I took the time to read it....

The first two are not ever, ever, ever happening while the third one falls in the, meh, category. I think it's fine the way it is. 

If there are a couple changes to be made, I think it is, definitely, with what goaltenders are allowed to get away with. 

1. Players are not allowed in the blue paint, which is fine. Goalies should be allowed to play the puck, but the second they leave the paint, become normal players and are just       as hittable as the next. The only time they should be protected is when they dive on the puck, much like a quaterback slide in football.
2. They should not be allowed to impede the path of a player trying to play the puck. They should be just as penalized for interference as a forward would be.

I would like to say that, I can't believe how a couple hits (which I didn't see really being that bad) and a comment taken way out of proportion, has taken on the life it has. Let it go. It's been way over analyzed. Both players got caught in bad positions. So what. Put it in your back pocket for the next time we play them and f*#k what the league says and f*#k what other fans think. Go after them hard and make sure they are reminded of those hits with ample bumps and bruises. I'm not saying go out to injure them but just make sure they leave the arena good and sore and, preferably, a loss to rub it in.

Regarding goalies playing the puck...  I personally don't like penalizing or negating a meaningful skill.  I wasn't really in favor of the trapezoid, though I understand the purpose.  I wouldn't be entirely against your first proposal.

I think the simplest solution has always been to let penalties run the full two minutes, even if a power play goal is scored.  I mean, why not?  Penalty = 2 minutes, and use it for all it's worth.

33 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Allow kick in plays that are "athletic". However protect the goalie, by having automatic Game Ejection if you contact the goalie with the kick. Start adding penalty minutes to obvious attempts to hit the goalie. 

I agree with opening things up regarding kicked in goals. But there's a legitimate reason why the NHL doesn't want players in skates making soccer style plays. Too much potential for serious cut injuries.

I'd let any kicked goal stand where the skates remain on the ice. But if a kicking motion is made where the skate comes up, then no goal.

And definitely a major penalty (as per current rule 49.3) if a player makes an egregious kick with their skate blade off the ice. Regardless of whether there's contact. Just too dangerous to have guys trying to kick pucks out of the air or taking full wind up kicks.

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm not opposed to this on principle, necessarily.  But if you think guys like Luongo and Cloutier had it bad after meltdowns in the playoffs, imagine the tarring and feathering if it's the "second half" goalie that has a meltdown when the first guy was running a shutout.

Man, the Fuhr-Moog Oilers and Smith-Resch Islanders would have been something to behold compared to the rest of the league if two goalies had to play every game.

And we'd still have Luongo and Schneider with no controversy.

Good point. But that's my point . It would be very interesting. 

It would affect many aspects of the game as well as the cap. Teams would be fighting over goalies. 

Archived