The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposed rule changes.

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I agree with opening things up regarding kicked in goals. But there's a legitimate reason why the NHL doesn't want players in skates making soccer style plays. Too much potential for serious cut injuries.

I'd let any kicked goal stand where the skates remain on the ice. But if a kicking motion is made where the skate comes up, then no goal.

And definitely a major penalty (as per current rule 49.3) if a player makes an egregious kick with their skate blade off the ice. Regardless of whether there's contact. Just too dangerous to have guys trying to kick pucks out of the air or taking full wind up kicks.

I wasn't saying full on swinging kicks should count. I think if the rule book said "Athletic", that it would allow a lot more plays to count. I don't have the words to describe what I mean, but keeping the skate on the ice, like you said, would almost be exactly that.

3 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I wasn't saying full on swinging kicks should count. I think if the rule book said "Athletic", that it would allow a lot more plays to count. I don't have the words to describe what I mean, but keeping the skate on the ice, like you said, would almost be exactly that.

Got it. Wasn't sure what you were going for with "athletic" kicks.

A bicycle kick is a pretty athletic play, but nothing you'd ever want to see happen with razor sharp skates. ;) 

I think we're on the same page as to what we'd like to see opened up (and what we clearly want to avoid).

1 hour ago, ThePeaceAwakens said:

I just couldn't find the time to search through the more than 2400 forums in this section to see if this thread already exists, so I will begin by apologizing forthright.

I have a some thoughts I think would make the game more fun to spectate and at the same time, increase scoring and generally make the game more exciting for the fans.  I am also curious to see what other ideas might be floating around.  Here's what i came up with, Take a sec, and think about it.

1.  The goalie should not be allowed to handle the puck anywhere below the red line/goal line. 

I feel like this would add a lot of excitement behind the net and allow teams to be more creative on dump ins. 

2.  If a goalie takes a penalty, the team with the powerplay or perhaps the team that took the penalty should have to choose between either a                     penalty shot, or 5 on 5 with the net empty and the goalie in the penalty box for 60 seconds.

That play in the Rangers game the other night, the one where Lundquist dove out and took the legs out from under Erickkson, on what                              appeared to be a certain goal got me thinking about this one.  Imagine the excitement and tension of watching the goalie come out of the                      penalty box and having to hustle his pads to get back in the crease.

3.   In overtime (since it's only 5 minutes) penalties should be 1 minute in duration, and to increase the opportunity to score maybe 3 on 2 would                     be much more adventageous than 4 on 3. 

Looking forward to reading this thread.

This is not Canucks Talk. I have moved it into Around the NHL.

1 hour ago, ThePeaceAwakens said:

I always had trouble figuring out what state buffalo's In?  Even tho I was good at geography

Buffalo is in the state of acceptance.  Acceptance that our sports teams suck and will continue to for at least 2 or 3 more years.

The only way to make the game more entertaining and exciting and I've been saying this for YEARS, but it won't happen for a long time, but the game needs to change the ice to international ice size. You can always change rules and try to make things better, but it will only last for a few years max, and tbh it gets annoying after a while trying to tinker with rules to make the game better.

Bigger ice is what this game needs now with the speed of the game. But owners don't want to lose out on money for seats and cost for changing it, it's sad but eventually it needs to be done. If they had bigger ice surface we wouldn't need the 4 on 4 to make the game more exciting, or to generate more scoring. 5 on 5 would be like watching 4 on 4 now, more open ice would allow for more exciting plays.

The most important aspect of having bigger ice would help with injuries, this reason alone I would think would be the biggest selling point. Players would have more time to decide what to do with the puck instead of rushing it, because of being worried of being drilled. Especially since injuries have be on the rise like ridiculously, with all the money invested in these players especially your star players, I would expect owners to be behind this idea, but I guess not it's to bad.

The trend is showing players are just getting faster and stronger, so it's not going to slow down. Soon players will have no time with the puck, because there will be no open ice to skate with the puck. Until the game adapts to accepting they need to have bigger ice, it's just going to get worse and the tinkering of rules will just be a joke in the end.

Get rid of the trapezoid altogether, it was brought in because Brodeur and Turco were so good with the puck, but the powers that be seemed to not notice that goalies like Roy, Hasek and Luongo handled the puck like a hand grenade and made it an adventure everytime they left the crease.

No touch icing, would reduce injuries, it seems to work fine in international play.

If a player is suspended, the team can't bring up a replacement, dress one less player for the length of the suspension.

Ditch the shootout, one ten minute OT, not sudden death (full 10 minutes even if someone scores). If still tied after 10, 1 point each

3 hours ago, ThePeaceAwakens said:

I just couldn't find the time to search through the more than 2400 forums in this section to see if this thread already exists, so I will begin by apologizing forthright.

I have a some thoughts I think would make the game more fun to spectate and at the same time, increase scoring and generally make the game more exciting for the fans.  I am also curious to see what other ideas might be floating around.  Here's what i came up with, Take a sec, and think about it.

1.  The goalie should not be allowed to handle the puck anywhere below the red line/goal line. 

I feel like this would add a lot of excitement behind the net and allow teams to be more creative on dump ins. 

2.  If a goalie takes a penalty, the team with the powerplay or perhaps the team that took the penalty should have to choose between either a                     penalty shot, or 5 on 5 with the net empty and the goalie in the penalty box for 60 seconds.

That play in the Rangers game the other night, the one where Lundquist dove out and took the legs out from under Erickkson, on what                              appeared to be a certain goal got me thinking about this one.  Imagine the excitement and tension of watching the goalie come out of the                      penalty box and having to hustle his pads to get back in the crease.

3.   In overtime (since it's only 5 minutes) penalties should be 1 minute in duration, and to increase the opportunity to score maybe 3 on 2 would                     be much more adventageous than 4 on 3. 

Looking forward to reading this thread.

1. No. This is too dangerous for defending players trying to get the puck. Once the puck is dumped and the defending players turn their backs, the fore checkers come in and slam them.

2. No chance this ever happens. It seems your proposal is putting more players at risk of more serious injuries. Albeit more entertaining...

3. No offense. But there's already enough ice with 3-on-3 to open the game up intensely. You want to open it up even more? This ain't figure skating.

26 minutes ago, Strombone said:

No offense. But there's already enough ice with 3-on-3 to open the game up intensely. You want to open it up even more? This ain't figure skating.

There's never enough ice. I'd personally like to see a 0-on-0 overtime, where it's up to the goalies to score.

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Regarding goalies playing the puck...  I personally don't like penalizing or negating a meaningful skill.  I wasn't really in favor of the trapezoid, though I understand the purpose.  I wouldn't be entirely against your first proposal.

I think the simplest solution has always been to let penalties run the full two minutes, even if a power play goal is scored.  I mean, why not?  Penalty = 2 minutes, and use it for all it's worth.

They used to until Jean Béliveau ruined it for everyone by getting a hat trick in a single penalty.

Let the goalies play the puck but make a rule they can not cover it after three steps so add a dot or something,once passed you can not cover it or penalty

Get rid of hybrid icing and let the players play

Get rid of the hardened plastic pads on players as they do more damage wearing them then they do protecting the players

Have helmets on tighter and made thicker so less head injuries example Kassian who always has his loose

get rid of the  instigator rule fighting is part of the game and no need anymore for this rule!

Try out the full 2 minutes PP so teams could score more then once or twice per penalty

those are what I would like to see as changes

Open-hand fisticuffs(handicuffs?). Make a fist & you're automatically transferred to the ECHL(6 mos), & forced to do HS speech-circuit on unnecessary violence.

We could bring back Semin as a 4th line 'heavy'.

Col comm: Bob, this game's gettin' chippy, justa matter of time til handicuffs break out.

Archived