The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Matt Puempel- Ottawa

86Viking

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

You may want to watch Chaput and Megna a little closer. 

https://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201617&sit=5v5&type=corsi&teamid=29&pos=skaters&minutes=25&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Benning's depth signings are far better than most of the CDC armchairs realize.  A troll comment regarding Rendulic don't change that.

I don't know any fancy stats... all I know is 99% of the board here would have wanted to see JB get active and pick up Parenteau and Pirri for such low costs.... it's got nothing to do with Megna and Chaput who are very good AHLers....  my super simple point was JB had multiple opportunities to pick up NHLers to help out offense without giving much and you are defending his option of sticking to AHLers who can't score..

Try to make some sense before you call ppl out with troll! Like you think we are heading in the right direction with this current line-up?

28 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I don't know any fancy stats... all I know is 99% of the board here would have wanted to see JB get active and pick up Parenteau and Pirri for such low costs.... it's got nothing to do with Megna and Chaput who are very good AHLers....  my super simple point was JB had multiple opportunities to pick up NHLers to help out offense without giving much and you are defending his option of sticking to AHLers who can't score..

Try to make some sense before you call ppl out with troll! Like you think we are heading in the right direction with this current line-up?

I must have missed Pirri being exposed to waivers....

You're right about it not being about Megna and Chaput - it was about your claim that Benning will recall Rendulic and why ;).

In any event, waivers come at a specific time - when this team had a healthy Hansen, healthy Dorsett, etc it made less sense to claim a player that was unlikely to earn a spot.

Right now - is it's own context.

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

Tempting.

Will be surprised if he clears, but so many have...

Hasn't translated yet at the NHL level, but skates well, can shoot the puck, good possession player - and LW.

Claiming him might light a fire under Baertschi....

On the other hand, our depth callups have played well - hard to argue with the promote from within approach thus far.

You also forgot to Add that he doesn't score goals which Jim Benning loves. As long as he can skate from 1 end of the ice to the other really fast he is a lock for the 2nd line. 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I must have missed Pirri being exposed to waivers....

You're right about it not being about Megna and Chaput - it was about your claim that Benning will recall Rendulic and why ;).

In any event, waivers come at a specific time - when this team had a healthy Hansen, healthy Dorsett, etc it made less sense to claim a player that was unlikely to earn a spot.

Right now - is it's own context.

No man.... I was just being sarcastic about Rendulic.... that guy has done next to nothing!

I'm dying to see Labate though!! We truly lack a heavy weight who can actually play!

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We got Megna and Chaput, why would we wanna take a chance on a young former 1st round pick with promise?

Both appear to be nearing the end of their waivers exemptions. Megna in 3 days (recall was October 24) and Chaput in 3 games (has dressed for 7 already).

Might be worth making a waivers claim for  depth and sending someone down before their exemption ends.

Not necessarily saying Puempel is "the guy" worth claiming but the timing might be right to start seriously considering the guys that cross the waivers wire.

Can always recall somebody if the waivers claim doesn't work out.

Chaput is definitely looking like a guy who might get claimed if he uses up his 10/30 exemption and he's exposed to waivers again. So we might be best served sending him down while he's still exempt, unless he's staying with Vancouver for the remainder of the season.

Megna probably clears again easily but given Utica's limited depth, it still might be worth avoiding any risk.

4 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

You can forget about it!!! JB wouldn't take a chance on Pulkkinen, Griffith, Parenteau, Paajarvi.... what makes you think Puempel is a better fit? JB would rather call up Rendulic to tease your guys!

I would love too see Rendulic he looked good in camp. 

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Both appear to be nearing the end of their waivers exemptions. Megna in 3 days (recall was October 24) and Chaput in 3 games (has dressed for 7 already).

Might be worth making a waivers claim for  depth and sending someone down before their exemption ends.

Not necessarily saying Puempel is "the guy" worth claiming but the timing might be right to start seriously considering the guys that cross the waivers wire.

Can always recall somebody if the waivers claim doesn't work out.

Chaput is definitely looking like a guy who might get claimed if he uses up his 10/30 exemption and he's exposed to waivers again. So we might be best served sending him down while he's still exempt, unless he's staying with Vancouver for the remainder of the season.

Megna probably clears again easily but given Utica's limited depth, it still might be worth avoiding any risk.

This may not be popular around here but I also wouldn't be opposed to sending Gaunce back down, claiming a guy like Puempel and keeping say Chaput up.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Burr, Horvat, Hansen

Baer, Granlund, Eriksson (heavily ozone starts)

Puempel, Chaput, Dorsett

Skille as extra again.

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

You also forgot to Add that he doesn't score goals which Jim Benning loves. As long as he can skate from 1 end of the ice to the other really fast he is a lock for the 2nd line. 

I didn't forget that - I just didn't think of it LB - that's a really good point.

12 hours ago, J.R. said:

This may not be popular around here but I also wouldn't be opposed to sending Gaunce back down, claiming a guy like Puempel and keeping say Chaput up.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Burr, Horvat, Hansen

Baer, Granlund, Eriksson (heavily ozone starts)

Puempel, Chaput, Dorsett

Skille as extra again.

Could be something to explore. I prefer Burr on the right side though. 

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter
Baer - Horvat - Burrows
Eriksson - Granlund - Hansen
Puempel - Chaput - Dorsett
Skille

I still think the Canucks are too easy to play against. Id like to see GMJB take a few chances on guys like Puempel. Despite what I believe to be solid drafting, the forward depth is still the teams achilles heal. I like what the team has in goalie depth and in the d-core. GMJB needs to scour the market for guys who might be able to score or at least fit the 'big, physical, fast' category.     

22 hours ago, Jaku said:

4 Goals, 2 assists in 52 games, averaging 9:49 in ice time. Not the greatest start to a career.

It's the classic case of putting a skilled player on the 4th line with unskilled linemates, and being surprised when he doesn't score enough. Guys like this need top 9 minutes with players that can pass.

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

This may not be popular around here but I also wouldn't be opposed to sending Gaunce back down

He's done very little, if anything, to warrant keeping up. I'd send him back down so he can get back to scoring in Utica, maybe build chemistry with Virtanen.

1 minute ago, Captain Azzy said:

It's the classic case of putting a skilled player on the 4th line with unskilled linemates, and being surprised when he doesn't score enough. Guys like this need top 9 minutes with players that can pass.

Gee, I wonder what coach does exactly that with his young skilled players?  

He clears in like half an hour or so right?

Someone should make a thread about the uber cheap UFA's this team could have looked at as well as the Waiver eligible players also passed on by the team this year

Call it:  Did we miss out or CDC's hindsight madness version 3.4

1 hour ago, Brobidus said:

Could be something to explore. I prefer Burr on the right side though. 

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter
Baer - Horvat - Burrows
Eriksson - Granlund - Hansen
Puempel - Chaput - Dorsett
Skille

If anything, I'd swap Burr and Eriksson in my lineup. I want Horvat and Baer separated.  

43 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

He's done very little, if anything, to warrant keeping up. I'd send him back down so he can get back to scoring in Utica, maybe build chemistry with Virtanen.

Yup and yup. 

Archived