The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Matt Puempel- Ottawa

86Viking

12 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

And people rag on the Canucks for not developing any of their first rounders. With Puempel being claimed by the Rangers, the Senators no longer have any of the three players that they drafted, in the first round of the 2011 draft, in their system. 

Jeepers, thats terrible. 

Equally terrible is how the Canucks passed on him. I don't fully understand why they would? We need more skilled youth in the system. They could get one for free and send Gaunce down to develop further. This team is a real head scratcher. 

15 hours ago, J.R. said:

This may not be popular around here but I also wouldn't be opposed to sending Gaunce back down, claiming a guy like Puempel and keeping say Chaput up.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Burr, Horvat, Hansen

Baer, Granlund, Eriksson (heavily ozone starts)

Puempel, Chaput, Dorsett

Skille as extra again.

I've been thinking the same re: Gaunce. He seems to be struggling at bit. Trying to do the right things but he's fighting the puck a lot. Timing is a bit off.

Lots of plays where people who don't like Gaunce are going to confirm their biases. Pucks hopping over his stick. Making passes to areas teammates just vacated. Mistakes and bad breaks that happen to every player on this team but they look extra bad on players that are struggling to score or to make a noticeable positive impact on the ice.

Gaunce might be lacking confidence. And he looks a little lost at times. He's not always reading the play as well as he's capable of. And at times he looks like he's caught between following coaching directives and following his instincts (and this tension seems to create hesitation).

He seems to be receding into a "don't hurt the team" type of role where his minutes are just killing the clock and nothing much else is happening. That's fine for a 4th liner, but we're not seeing the flashes of potential from Gaunce that were there before.

I think a Utica stint might help him steer out of the rut.

2 hours ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

I still think the Canucks are too easy to play against. Id like to see GMJB take a few chances on guys like Puempel.

Puempel is not the 'hard to play against' type.

He's quick, he's skilled, but hard to play against - nope - that's the primary knock on him.

I wouldn't have argue with claiming him, but at the same time, he's one of those guys that isn't necessarily going to translate into a solid bottom 6 if his upside doesn't emerge at the NHL level.

The guys we're currently skating in our bottom 6 - Gaunce, Chaput, Megna - are better two way players imo - more grit - more defensive soundness to their game.

15 hours ago, J.R. said:

This may not be popular around here but I also wouldn't be opposed to sending Gaunce back down, claiming a guy like Puempel and keeping say Chaput up.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Burr, Horvat, Hansen

Baer, Granlund, Eriksson (heavily ozone starts)

Puempel, Chaput, Dorsett

Now that we passed on this guy, I'm going to have to puemp Gaunce's tires.

Gaunce

15.6% ozone starts

39.3% dzone

51.6% corsi anchoring the 4th line.

51.% faceoff percentage - in primarily dzone starts where it's harder to win a draw.

That is the kind of performance that keeps a young player in the lineup - young Malhotraesque.

With those dzone starts and corsi, what I'm going to assume (don't have the #s / statshockeyanalysis in some ways is inferior to behindthenet - which is not up to speed this year) - is that his dzone finishes are pretty high - and that when you take the gain from dzone start to ozone finishes, what we're getting out of Gaunce and the 4th line is the ability to furnish the Sedins (and our two other lnes to a lesser extent) with ozone starts - which is primarily exactly what we need from Gaunce (and his supporting cast, who have also been excellent imo).

Just now, oldnews said:

Gaunce

15.6% ozone starts

39.3% dzone

51.% faceoff percentage - in primarily dzone starts where it's harder to win a draw.

That is the kind of performance that keeps a young player in the lineup - young Malhotraesque.

With those dzone starts and corsi, what I'm going to assume (don't have the #s / statshockeyanalysis in some ways is inferior to behindthenet - which is not up to speed this year) - is that his dzone finishes are pretty high - and that when you take the gain from dzone start to ozone finishes, what we're getting out of Gaunce and the 4th line is the ability to furnish the Sedins (and our two other lnes to a lesser extent) with ozone starts - which is primarily exactly what we need from Gaunce (and his supporting cast, who have also been excellent imo).

To be fair, it's not so much that I think he's doing 'poorly'. I'd just prefer he be playing more minutes given that while he's certainly been exceedingly serviceable, he's not particularly standing out either and as Sid noted is more so just 'killing the clock'.

And while that does certainly serve a purpose, he might be better served playing more minutes in Utica in a larger role... 

Either way, I'm not losing sleep over it.

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

To be fair, it's not so much that I think he's doing 'poorly'. I'd just prefer he be playing more minutes given that while he's certainly been exceedingly serviceable, he's not particularly standing out either and as Sid noted is more so just 'killing the clock'.

And while that does certainly serve a purpose, he might be better served playing more minutes in Utica in a larger role... 

Either way, I'm not losing sleep over it.

I might have agreed with you if we'd taken Puempel and sent Gaunce to Utica, but like I said, now that we have not done that, I must recalibrate the Homer-GPS and puemp Gaunce's tires.

My other point would be that I'd probably have used Puempel on the 3rd line (and tried to jump start them) because I don't think he's cut out for harder minutes.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Eriksson, Granlund, Hansen

Baer, Horvat, Puempel

Chaput Gaunce Burrows

Just now, oldnews said:

I might have agreed with you if we'd taken Puempel and sent Gaunce to Utica, but like I said, now that we have not done that, I must recalibrate the Homer-GPS and puemp Gaunce's tires.

My other point would be that I'd probably have used Puempel on the 3rd line and sheltered them because I don't think he's cut out for harder minutes.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Eriksson, Horvat, Hansen

Baer, Granlund, Puempel

Dorsett, Chaput Gaunce Burrows

Yeah that would work (with my edit :P ). Give that 3rd line easy QOC and ozone starts up the wazoo.

Cest la vie...

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah that would work (with my edit :P ). Give that 3rd line easy QOC and ozone starts up the wazoo.

Cest la vie...

Gaunce is better than Puempel.

Baertschi to the press box to wake him tf up.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Puempel, Granlund, Burrows

Chaput Gaunce Dorsett

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Gaunce is better than Puempel.

Baertschi to the press box to wake him tf up.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Puempel, Granlund, Burrows

Chaput Gaunce Dorsett

Scratching Horvat too and cloning Granlund? :lol:

57 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Of course the Rags just lost Zibanejad to a pretty gruesome break.

So it falls upon AV to Puemp this guy's tires.

It's also because Buchnevich might be out for a while as well. He didn't play in yesterday's game vs the Panthers and it only seemed logical to claim a player like Puempel off waivers 

1 minute ago, Beary Sweet said:

It's also because Buchnevich might be out for a while as well. He didn't play in yesterday's game vs the Panthers and it only seemed logical to claim a player like Puempel off waivers 

Meanwhile the Canucks have lost Hansen, Rodin, Dorsett, and Virtanen.

But hey, we got Chaput and Megna so clearly we're good. Not like we can afford to take a chance on a young speedy winger or anything.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Gaunce

15.6% ozone starts

39.3% dzone

Good stuff.

If anyone goes, it has to be Skille. Gaunce is doing very well for what has been asked of him.

22 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Good stuff.

If anyone goes, it has to be Skille. Gaunce is doing very well for what has been asked of him.

Skille is just fine as 13th forward. He's not 'going' anywhere. That's the last spot you want Gaunce in.

In the context of his individual profile as a player (winger with scoring instincts), I was tempted at the prospect of a prospect like him being available.

In the context of his being on the 2nd-lowest scoring team in the league (Sens) and getting waived by them after not putting up any points for them so far this season (similar to how the league-worst Panthers dumped Grabner seasons ago), I would not argue that J.B. should've picked him up.  If he couldn't help them there, not sure how helpful he could be if, like some of you have been saying, he's not fit for the bottom 6 and there are contributors at least in our current top 6 (Twins, Sutter; Granlund, Eriksson as 2nd line winger depth).  Plus, when Rodin comes back I wouldn't be surprised if he at least put up solid 3rd line if not weak 2nd line minutes.  

Archived