The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Dal Colle and Barzal

Byrix

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

In reality isn't Drouin worth more than Tanev?  And with Stamkos out again, won't TB really need Drouin?

A lot of people seem to want to trade Tanev for some reason. He's a great shut down guy, and he's home grown. We'll never get the value back in a trade because he plays a quiet solid game and really only started to get noticed by the  rest of the league last year. We're not going to trade our way out of the prospect hole. Two more drafts Alf and then its a whole new team essentially, except for a few key guys we have now under 30. 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

A lot of people seem to want to trade Tanev for some reason. He's a great shut down guy, and he's home grown. We'll never get the value back in a trade because he plays a quiet solid game and really only started to get noticed by the  rest of the league last year. We're not going to trade our way out of the prospect hole. Two more drafts Alf and then its a whole new team essentially, except for a few key guys we have now under 30. 

Those two drafts better bring two elite forwards, or we will attain mediocre with the young guys we have for our next core.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Those two drafts better bring two elite forwards, or we will attain mediocre with the young guys we have for our next core.

Yup, they are critical drafts to be sure. Thats why Jimbo redesigned the scouting system so everyone was on the same page, right down to using a common terminology. I recall him describing that process early on and thought it was genius. I think thats why we saw them take a chance on Tryamkin, e.g., our Russian scouts were able to tell JB precisely where he was at and it would be worth bringing him over. 

So with a scouting team on the same page, looking for what Jim wants, I think the chances of getting really good picks across the N.Am. minors, college, and Europe are much higher than with previous GMs, with the notable exception of landing Bure. 

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yup, they are critical drafts to be sure. Thats why Jimbo redesigned the scouting system so everyone was on the same page, right down to using a common terminology. I recall him describing that process early on and thought it was genius. I think thats why we saw them take a chance on Tryamkin, e.g., our Russian scouts were able to tell JB precisely where he was at and it would be worth bringing him over. 

So with a scouting team on the same page, looking for what Jim wants, I think the chances of getting really good picks across the N.Am. minors, college, and Europe are much higher than with previous GMs, with the notable exception of landing Bure. 

Good is good, but we need elite skill in our forwards, don't we?  I guess Boeser might be one, but we need at least one more.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good is good, but we need elite skill in our forwards, don't we?  I guess Boeser might be one, but we need at least one more.

For sure, all I was saying that the chance of getting "elite" goes up if your scouting system is all on the same page and you're looking for it everywhere. Its particularly important in a draft like the next one imo where there isn't a clear consensus on who that might be. 

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

For sure, all I was saying that the chance of getting "elite" goes up if your scouting system is all on the same page and you're looking for it everywhere. Its particularly important in a draft like the next one imo where there isn't a clear consensus on who that might be. 

I guess I see the chances of drafting elite skill increases with the higher the draft position.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I guess I see the chances of drafting elite skill increases with the higher the draft position.  

Sure. Sometimes you get Laine. Sometimes you get Cam Barker. Sometimes you get Benn. It can come from a lot of places and if you fall into the trap that you must pick 1st then its going to be a hard time for you Alf, as the lotto system pretty much ensures that we'll never get that no matter how many times we finish in last place. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Sure. Sometimes you get Laine. Sometimes you get Cam Barker. Sometimes you get Benn. It can come from a lot of places and if you fall into the trap that you must pick 1st then its going to be a hard time for you Alf, as the lotto system pretty much ensures that we'll never get that no matter how many times we finish in last place. 

Why is there a draft based on reverse order of standings, unless chances of getting players isn't improved with draft position?  I accept some great players are found in later picks, but don't the top five picks have a better chance than the last five picks?  I really am excited about some of our youth, like Boeser and Zukanov.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why is there a draft based on reverse order of standings, unless chances of getting players isn't improved with draft position?  I accept some great players are found in later picks, but don't the top five picks have a better chance than the last five picks?  I really am excited about some of our youth, like Boeser and Zukanov.

Yah but its only a weighted percentage now so you can't guarantee #1 spot anymore. Which means that Jimbo has to prepare extremely well to be able to pick outside of that and still build a winning team. 

Seems early to bring this up but here goes: http://nhllotterysimulator.com

After Patrick this year, there's really no consensus on 2-10 yet, so tanking isn't what it once was. 

7 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

ya but we have newer shutdown guys named guddy and tryamkin and pedan   tanev provides no offense  we need a winger and a future number onecenter  and one more offensive dman  hopefully that juolevi next yr but tanev for a sniper helps this club 

Archived