The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Recall F Joe Labate

aGENT

5 minutes ago, 6string said:

Our hits per game is embarrassingly low, we've been outhit about 75% of the time by my estimation.

Labate had a great camp and has some nice numbers in Utica that deserve a look over the other two recent call ups!

Which is also why I don't understand reducing Tryamkin's minutes.

He hits more than anyone on the team and really can anyone say he's been that much of a liability defensively?

39 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Seriously, every time we run around trying to act tough it becomes a debacle.  The plan should be to actually be tough and resilient and to not let every little rough-up get under our skin and mess up our game plan.  As I've said a million times, who's the monstrous goon on Chicago that keeps the other team in check?

Let's worry about that when we are Chicago.

Just now, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Yes.  Obviously.  What are you watching?  He's obviously a rookie.

I'm watching a team of defenseman who all make mistakes regularly.

Him being a rookie has nothing to do with him being a liability. He's been steadier than Edler, Sbisa, and Hutton so far.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I'm watching a team of defenseman who all make mistakes regularly.

Him being a rookie has nothing to do with him being a liability. He's been steadier than Edler, Sbisa, and Hutton so far.

It only looks like that because they're not throwing him to the wolves.  It's logically inconsistent to say "he's looking great, they're using him wrong".

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Which is also why I don't understand reducing Tryamkin's minutes.

He hits more than anyone on the team and really can anyone say he's been that much of a liability defensively?

The Bruins ( Benning's Former team ) play their kids and give them big minutes when they are called up, I bet if Tryamkin were there he would log way more minutes.

It only looks like that because they're not throwing him to the wolves.  It's logically inconsistent to say "he's looking great, they're using him wrong".

No it looks like that because he keeps his game simple and doesn't tend to stand out in a bad way like Edler and Hutton have so far this season.

It's illogical to say he's playing well so they shouldn't reduce his minutes? Think about that one for a sec. ;)

Just now, DeNiro said:

No it looks like that because he keeps his game simple and doesn't tend to stand out in a bad way like Edler and Hutton have so far this season.

It's illogical to say he's playing well so they shouldn't reduce his minutes? Think about that one for a sec. ;)

If he's looking good then it means that what they're doing is working.  You can't have it both ways. 

No one said they should reduce his minutes.  Do you honestly think that he would do better with Edler's 27 minutes, or do you just not care if we get blown out?

If he's looking good then it means that what they're doing is working.  You can't have it both ways. 

No one said they should reduce his minutes.  Do you honestly think that he would do better with Edler's 27 minutes, or do you just not care if we get blown out?

No one said they should reduce his minutes? Umm Willie did last game, that's what we were talking about...

If he's good with playing 16-17 minutes why reduce his minutes down to 13 when that means overwhelming Edler with minutes he can't handle?

Tryamkin has only been on the ice for 2 goals against in 9 games he's played and they were both against the Islanders in just his third game. I don't know how anyone can say that makes him a liability.

5 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

The CDC tough-guy fantasy doesn't work.  It hasn't since Clarke's Flyers.

Hey don't get me wrong.  At the end it's what's on the scoreboard.

however since you bring up Chicago:

Remeber that?

yeah.  

So while you're right, The Hawks have no goon per se. Why would they dress one when their super stars pull that $&!#?  And only to be given a holiday before the playoffs.

And then the sanctity that is the maple leafs as liscenced by the NHL allows a punk like kadri to again,  runone of the leagues stars and classy players - Daniel Sedin with no recourse.

So i think most people feel that for the third potential career ending hit on Daniel sedin it would be nice to maybe have someone on the ice other than Jannik Hansen.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

No one said they should reduce his minutes? Umm Willie did last game, that's what we were talking about...

If he's good with playing 16-17 minutes why reduce his minutes down to 13 when that means overwhelming Edler with minutes he can't handle?

Tryamkin has only been on the ice for 2 goals against in 9 games he's played and they were both against the Islanders in just his third game. I don't know how anyone can say that makes him a liability.

Actually, I thought we were talking about how tough Labate makes us.  I missed that comment from Willy.  But, in any case,  what happens on the ice is more important than what is said;  we'll see next game. 

They've been right about Tryamkin all along, as his good play shows, so it's okay not to question every single step on the path.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He's not a liability, any more than a rookie should be, because of the deployment and sheltering.  The idea that a Dman should play more because things are going well is a bit simplistic.  We hear this all the time on CDC: "Horvat had a great 16 minutes, therefore he should play 22".  But it's possible that the fact that he only played 16, and the specific 16 that he played, are the reason he was looking good.

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Hey don't get me wrong.  At the end it's what's on the scoreboard.

however since you bring up Chicago:

Remeber that?

yeah.  

So while you're right, The Hawks have no goon per se. Why would they dress one when their super stars pull that $&!#?  And only to be given a holiday before the playoffs.

And then the sanctity that is the maple leafs as liscenced by the NHL allows a punk like kadri to again,  runone of the leagues stars and classy players - Daniel Sedin with no recourse.

So i think most people feel that for the third potential career ending hit on Daniel sedin it would be nice to maybe have someone on the ice other than Jannik Hansen.

And.....if we had Pedan, Keith wouldn't have done that?  Okay.

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Seriously, every time we run around trying to act tough it becomes a debacle.  The plan should be to actually be tough and resilient and to not let every little rough-up get under our skin and mess up our game plan.  

23 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

The CDC tough-guy fantasy doesn't work.  It hasn't since Clarke's Flyers.

the clarks flyers thing is a little extreme no? somewhere between were we are as a team physically right now and how the LA KINGS play against us works for me.

20 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Finally!!! JB has done something right!! Labate is gonna be a fan favorite in a hurry! He is gonna be a big mean beast and can actually play!! A void left by our beloved Donald Brashear for way too long!!!

this posters desire to see more physicality falls more in line with your first statement  "the plan should be tough and resilient" and then you snidely post this 

15 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Wow.  That explains a lot.

this is a labate recalled thread, I'm quite happy they recalled him are you?

Actually, I thought we were talking about how tough Labate makes us.  I missed that comment from Willy.  But, in any case,  what happens on the ice is more important than what is said;  we'll see next game. 

They've been right about Tryamkin all along, as his good play shows, so it's okay not to question every single step on the path.

Me and someone else were talking about hitting actually, which is when I mentioned Tryamkin's hitting ability and why he should play more. That's when you jumped in about Tryamkin being a liability.

They weren't right about Tryamkin last game. They cut his minutes and increased Edler's and we blew a 3-0 lead. If they had realized Eder was off and spread the minutes evenly, it probably would have increased our chances of winning. His good play should be rewarded with more minutes, not less at the expense of Edler getting more minutes for poor play.

Archived