The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Recall F Joe Labate

aGENT

2 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

He's not a liability, any more than a rookie should be, because of the deployment and sheltering.  The idea that a Dman should play more because things are going well is a bit simplistic.  We hear this all the time on CDC: "Horvat had a great 16 minutes, therefore he should play 22".  But it's possible that the fact that he only played 16, and the specific 16 that he played, are the reason he was looking good.

You clearly missed the whole conversation so I'm not sure what you're even debating.

I never said he should get more minutes than he's been getting any other game he has played well. I simply said he should not have his minutes reduced for no reason when he has been playing well and we need his physical play.

You're arguing against a point that no one made.

16 minutes ago, riffraff said:

So i think most people feel that for the third potential career ending hit on Daniel sedin it would be nice to maybe have someone on the ice other than Jannik Hansen.

Like Kassian....to do nothing of value.  Remember when we had Jovonovski, Cooke, Ruutu, and Bertuzzi, and it still wasn't a deterrent that protected the captain?  Remember how being a bunch of thin-skinned p****** led to the most negative episode in our history, derailing one of our best ever teams?  Yeah, it's all about being tough.  The trick is to actually be tough, not to load up on goofballs that will run around and get penalties.  The days of jumping Claude Lemiuex are long gone. 

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm watching a team of defenseman who all make mistakes regularly.

Him being a rookie has nothing to do with him being a liability. He's been steadier than Edler, Sbisa, and Hutton so far.

Question is truck have u been watching?

7 minutes ago, chon derry said:

the clarks flyers thing is a little extreme no? somewhere between were we are as a team physically right now and how the LA KINGS play against us works for me.

this posters desire to see more physicality falls more in line with your first statement  "the plan should be tough and resilient" and then you snidely post this 

this is a labate recalled thread, I'm quite happy they recalled him are you?

Yeah, I like Labate.  I think Brashear is about as worthless a hockey player as I can think of.

Do the Kings have anyone on the team who is an AHL caliber tough guy?  Any giants that don't skate well?  Right, so calling up Pedan isn't the way to "win" against Toronto.  That's all I'm saying.  The Flyers example isn't extreme at all when you read some of the attitudes around here.

1 hour ago, DADDYROCK said:

Dollars to Donuts says Bettman and the NHL Cronies will be there for the Dec. 3 game.

Just to crucify the Canuck player who looks at a Toronto Player in the wrong tone of voice.

Kadri needs a good hammering in my opinion, for that cheap shot on Daniel.

If that had been Crosby the outcome would have been much different.Also that big goof jumping Stecher,come on man that was crap.

What a hero jumping a first year guy that is 4 inches shorter and at least 25 lbs lighter.NO CLASS TORONTO.

plused you for that... jajaja

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Me and someone else were talking about hitting actually, which is when I mentioned Tryamkin's hitting ability and why he should play more. That's when you jumped in about Tryamkin being a liability.

They weren't right about Tryamkin last game. They cut his minutes and increased Edler's and we blew a 3-0 lead. If they had realized Eder was off and spread the minutes evenly, it probably would have increased our chances of winning. His good play should be rewarded with more minutes, not less at the expense of Edler getting more minutes for poor play.

Fair enough.  Can I cut in?  You said that he should play more since he's not a liability, and I'm saying that those things are connected.  My apologies for not reading back.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You clearly missed the whole conversation so I'm not sure what you're even debating.

I never said he should get more minutes than he's been getting any other game he has played well. I simply said he should not have his minutes reduced for no reason when he has been playing well and we need his physical play.

You're arguing against a point that no one made.

I see that.  As you were.  Smoke'em if you got'em.  I guess that's where a hair-trigger gets you.

4 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Question is truck have u been watching?

I think the reason that Edler can do no right while Stecher can do wrong has to do with has to do with markedly different standards.  I've been watching Tryamkin closely, and yeah, he's pretty damn raw, but he's also showing how awesome my man Benning is.  But the point is.....I'm shadow-boxing here.  My bad.

2 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Yeah, I like Labate.  I think Brashear is about as worthless a hockey player as I can think of.

Do the Kings have anyone on the team who is an AHL caliber tough guy?  Any giants that don't skate well?  Right, so calling up Pedan isn't the way to "win" against Toronto.  That's all I'm saying.  The Flyers example isn't extreme at all when you read some of the attitudes around here.

i would gladly watch a hard hitting game from the outset on dec 3 , something that should have been done against the leafs to begin with and the hawks as well .this team is searching for some kind of indentity and there not going to find one playing run and gun with teams like the hawks sadly we don't have much in the way of hard nose good 2 way players either ,but labate is a step in the right direction.

Just now, chon derry said:

i would gladly watch a hard hitting game from the outset on dec 3 , something that should have been done against the leafs to begin with and the hawks as well .this team is searching for some kind of indentity and there not going to find one playing run and gun with teams like the hawks sadly we don't have much in the way of hard nose good 2 way players either ,but labate is a step in the right direction.

Totally agree, because Labate is a real player, not a tough guy.

10 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

And.....if we had Pedan, Keith wouldn't have done that?  Okay.

I'm not interested in arguing with you as I agreed with you the win counts.  But I feel your avoiding my point.  

No.  Pedan doesn't stop Keith (although it is minutely possible) from that hit.  

but my point is:. Assuming those hits will happen, and I'll use the leafs game as an example, they were up 5-2.  Win in hand, and still flipped the goon switch.  Morgan Reilly on badger, kadri on sedin.  Absolutely no respect and willfully hitting to injure.  So why not at least have some sort of payback?

That's all I and many people are saying. If kadri throws a check like that, and I honestly think he doesn't if a pedan is in the ice, I'd rather see him swallow his own teeth than have a busted up ribs honey badger come to the rescue.

labate is no heavy but he's a hungry young guy with a mean streak that hits with purpose, can handle himself and is willing to stick up for the boys.  He also popped one or two in in preseason.  I look forward to him injecting some energy into this team.  It's obvious we need some.

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Seriously, every time we run around trying to act tough it becomes a debacle.  The plan should be to actually be tough and resilient and to not let every little rough-up get under our skin and mess up our game plan.  As I've said a million times, who's the monstrous goon on Chicago that keeps the other team in check?

This guy for sure:

Image result for kelly sutherland referee

Archived