The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Recall F Joe Labate

aGENT

19 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Im really happy to see all the positive messages about Labate. Pedan should be next. #makecanuckstoughagain 

Isn't Pedan playing poorly in Utica? From everyone I've heard who has been watching the Comets this year, his play seems uninspired outside of a rare hit once in a blue moon. Are you seeing something different? 

8 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Perfect timing. He'll get a chance to prepare for the bout next month against the Laughs with a few games during the road trip. He has been posting up some points up at Utica as well so good luck to him.

Hes physical thats why I like him!

8 hours ago, NHL'er said:

CUtE6W_UEAEDxTJ.jpg

"You better watch out. I'm coming for you."

My point here :D

7 hours ago, riffraff said:

Hey don't get me wrong.  At the end it's what's on the scoreboard.

however since you bring up Chicago:

Remeber that?

yeah.  

So while you're right, The Hawks have no goon per se. Why would they dress one when their super stars pull that $&!#?  And only to be given a holiday before the playoffs.

And then the sanctity that is the maple leafs as liscenced by the NHL allows a punk like kadri to again,  runone of the leagues stars and classy players - Daniel Sedin with no recourse.

So i think most people feel that for the third potential career ending hit on Daniel sedin it would be nice to maybe have someone on the ice other than Jannik Hansen.

If Duncan Keith wasn't on one of the best teams in the league he would of been suspended for a long ass time.  He gets away with murder.  There are some nasty clips of him taking head shots and slashing people in the face. Guy deserves a strong sentence if he re-offends but the nhl gives special treatment too its top teams. 

39 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Isn't Pedan playing poorly in Utica? From everyone I've heard who has been watching the Comets this year, his play seems uninspired outside of a rare hit once in a blue moon. Are you seeing something different? 

I've heard the same. And Pedan was scratched the last two games. No announcement as to why. But speculation was that it could either be he's banged up or has been a healthy scratch. So either he's hurt or he's been poor enough that he isn't currently considered a top-6 D in Utica. Either way, I wouldn't expect to see Pedan in a Canucks uniform anytime soon.

10 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

The CDC tough-guy fantasy doesn't work.  It hasn't since Clarke's Flyers.

I do believe the 2011 Bruins used some dirty hockey to win the Cup, then they faced the hawks the next year and lost, most likely due to Toews outplaying Chara on a bad hammy. That is what toughness is in the new NHL and why Taser is the best Captain in the league right now.

You must admit that those Bruin teams after the whistle were reminiscent of 70's goon squads, heck they had a goon squad for a 4th line, namely Thornton?

Regards

spatty33

7 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Fair enough...I'm not trying to troll you, and that's unusual for me.  I think I lost the thread somewhere.  Yes you need some big guys and you need to play big, but having Tryamkin on the squad didn't have the deterrent effect that many anticipated.  I don't know what winger you are imagining instead of Hansen, but I'm a bit skeptical that Kadri would have done any different.  The refs ushered him straight off the ice anyway.  I don't want to try to get a win here, I'm just ranting about the idea that a bunch of AHL tough guys is the answer.  But in this case, I do think that Labate is a legit prospect.  It may not be too hard to steal a spot in this lineup.  

I think that they need to focus on playing physical all the time and being mentally tough when a team gets running around.  That and having a good power play.  And a few guys that can throw them, but could have made the team regardless.  You mentioned LA and Anaheim, but I'm thinking of Chicago, Pittsburgh,  Montreal, New York.  I get that we're in the Pacific, but we can't compete with LA's size without making twenty moves.  We need to look at the speed and skill model.

Ultimately the Chicago model would be great.  Amazing hockey to watch. To further the point - Olympic hockey.

actually I only brought up la vs Anaheim as in their game the other night, there was an instance of payback to some degree.  Two California games ago, Jordan Nolan sucker punched Getzlaf. As Canuck fans we are well aware of this rat.  I remember the "moral victory" game when sestito jumped an unwilling Nolan.....anyways:. Jared Boll had a conversation with Nolan on a face off and after the kick dropped, Nolan turned away like bill wasn't there.  Jared grabbed him anyway, turned him around and started swinging.

then last night JT Brown was running around nailing guys and eventually a euro line brawl erupted.

it seems that there are more of these instances around the league than one would think and certainly outside of Canucks hockey.

but as you said in an earlier post we are on the same page. It Just took some translation to arrive at the same dot.

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

If Duncan Keith wasn't on one of the best teams in the league he would of been suspended for a long ass time.  He gets away with murder.  There are some nasty clips of him taking head shots and slashing people in the face. Guy deserves a strong sentence if he re-offends but the nhl gives special treatment too its top teams. 

Absolutley.

12 hours ago, riffraff said:

Hey don't get me wrong.  At the end it's what's on the scoreboard.

however since you bring up Chicago:

Remeber that?

yeah.  

So while you're right, The Hawks have no goon per se. Why would they dress one when their super stars pull that $&!#?  And only to be given a holiday before the playoffs.

And then the sanctity that is the maple leafs as liscenced by the NHL allows a punk like kadri to again,  runone of the leagues stars and classy players - Daniel Sedin with no recourse.

So i think most people feel that for the third potential career ending hit on Daniel sedin it would be nice to maybe have someone on the ice other than Jannik Hansen.

All I want to say is the Canucks should target with purpose...if you want to break ribs, then break ribs.

Take the bull by the horn and take action...they do not need permission and need not ask. 

9 hours ago, hearditall said:

What's wrong with the Bigger Sedin taking care of the smaller Kadri himself? I'ma big Sedin fan but this is something they have always needed to do. Stick up for themselves sometimes. Yes they deserve way more protection over the years as well but sometimes you have to be a Man, no...

Alah Bure style...

This is exactly what they need to do...target with purpose. They don't need anyone's permission.

19 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Finally!!! JB has done something right!! Labate is gonna be a fan favorite in a hurry! He is gonna be a big mean beast and can actually play!! A void left by our beloved Donald Brashear for way too long!!!

Well, lets not get crazy.  Donald was a true massive heavy weight....Labate isn't nearly as big.  But he is a high energy crash and back guy which is going to be great to watch if any thing.  Dale weisse 2.0?

People need to get off this Pedan thing. He needs development time as a defenseman. If they bring him up just for a bit they risk loosing him on waivers sending him back. He made it through after training camp. The team is committed to developing the guy at this point. So it's unlikely you'll see him back until he's ready or they're will to take the risk of loosing him. 

I'm wondering how many games Labate gets sat out before WD feels he's ready for 4 minutes a game?  

20 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Yeah, I like Labate.  I think Brashear is about as worthless a hockey player as I can think of.

I was rather fond of Brashear.  There may not have been a better fighter in the league (how many times did McSorley keep rematching and then get his butt kicked?), and unlike Odjick he could skate and had decent hands.  He also played pretty smart, because he intimidated just by being there; he didn't have to go out and make a statement or do cheapshots.  A bit like Tryamkin already -- players knew or learned to keep their distance.

Archived