The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Draft Day Proposal

Beeekz37

I apologize if this has been covered, but I really couldn't find anything in the search. I also wanted to wait until i had 100 posts before creating a topic. My idea is this, and if it is a bad idea then by all means let me know. On the flip side, if you agree, please also leave your 2 cents on the matter.

If we tank this year, our best 2 options for the upcoming draft are a potential 2c or a 2-3d from what I have read (assuming the lottery goes our way). What if we packaged something with the pick and got ourselves a top 6 (preferably potential top line) young scoring winger or a 1c?

Something like:

Van: 2017 1st, Baer and Hansen 

OR some other combination...

Who could we target? Who would be able to come in, make a small difference and then a huge impact as they grow? Would the above 2 players with the pick be enough to entice a team into giving 1 up? Or should we be looking at another avenue?

I don't think this upcoming draft will have a piece we could truly use, whereas the trade could give us something. I could be out to lunch on this, but it is something some friends of mine and I have tossed around a few times. Thoughts?

I am definitely not against exploiting the perceived value of high 1st round picks if we genuinely don't like the players available. And I like that you are putting forward a proposal that includes us actually offering strong value instead of Raymond/Ballard/a 2nd. 

That being said, even a strong package like that will probably only get a young 1st liner if they have had a falling out with the team or similar issues. If a team has a young player producing as a 1C just doesn't want to get rid of them. If they similarly perceive the best case scenario for even Nolan to be a 2C. It seems unlikely that most teams would want to build a trade based around their current 1C, for the possibly of a 2C + Roster player. 

You may still get someone pretty darn good situationally though. If it does happen I think we would have to be digging around for top liners who aren't fitting in with their teams, don't get along with the coach etc. That is how Johansen moved. 

I'd rather our 1st allow us to draft our 1 C.

Heischer (sp) Middlestadt and That Patrick kid are all available.  Rushing it is what has lead to 40+ years of failure.  If we draft top 5 great.  Draft one, let them sit another year or two and draft our other needs in the meantime while we transition.

No need to continue trying to fill that age gap.

I think it's really hard to make that call on what we should do right now since we don't really know exactly what spot we are drafting. 

If we have the opportunity to draft 1st or 2nd overall I think it's really hard to move that pick.  The return would also really depend the position of the team we'd be making a deal with.  For instance, we just because we move out top pick doesn't mean another good draft pick wouldn't be coming back.  Something like a package of.,

1st overall + Tanev for Domi + 5th overall

We'd still be able to draft a top player and add a young piece to our team. 

Right now there's just too many variables to determine if the value is there or not.  Fun to speculate though

I understand how difficult it is to perceive what our value (or where that first will be) come draft day, thats why I'm proposing this to happen on draft day. Do we really need another 2c? I think Bo's got that covered, unless he can become number 1, but that still leaves Sutter out of position (love seeing him with the twins). And the chances that Sutter is still here in a few years I guess could be up in the air as well.

There are way too many variables at this point, as stated above, but the ideas are endless (ones that don't include selling the farm to get what we want). If we could land Reinhart, I would be happy. If we could land Domi, I would be happy. Hell, if we could land anybody that would mesh well with Horvat and Boeser in a couple years, maybe thats our top line? But would we still have a pick at that point? And if so, would Nolan be the answer to take over at the 2c spot once developed?

The more I think about it now, its starting to make my head hurt haha

2 hours ago, Beeekz37 said:

I understand how difficult it is to perceive what our value (or where that first will be) come draft day, thats why I'm proposing this to happen on draft day. Do we really need another 2c? I think Bo's got that covered, unless he can become number 1, but that still leaves Sutter out of position (love seeing him with the twins). And the chances that Sutter is still here in a few years I guess could be up in the air as well.

There are way too many variables at this point, as stated above, but the ideas are endless (ones that don't include selling the farm to get what we want). If we could land Reinhart, I would be happy. If we could land Domi, I would be happy. Hell, if we could land anybody that would mesh well with Horvat and Boeser in a couple years, maybe thats our top line? But would we still have a pick at that point? And if so, would Nolan be the answer to take over at the 2c spot once developed?

The more I think about it now, its starting to make my head hurt haha

To paint with a broad brush, I think there's an important aspect which should be considered with these types of proposals: expansion draft

Guessing there'll be a significant number of packages on offer, as GM's want to winnow down their rosters, (to a precise-10) that they'll protect. Almost all excess will be available, this off-season, for a reduced price.

Most deeper teams will be placing decent product in the shop window(with sale tags). Relative value of youth(ELC's) & picks will be on the rise.

Archived