The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT: Canucks vs Yotes, At Least We're Not Vegas Edition, Wednesday, Nov. 23, 7 PM @ Rogers Arena

Qwags

Nice series of positive articles on Canucks Army today.

One of how Baertschi is ramping up his play and trending very well in his possession rates:

While his overall Corsi For leaves something to be desired at 47.4%, much of that was due to a dreadful start to the season that saw his Corsi For at 45.2% in the first ten games. Over the past nine games he’s been a shade under 50% and in the past five games he’s been running at 55.1%.

A career 11.7% shooter, Baertschi has only one goal on 31 shots (3.2%), so his strong territorial play, plus shooting percentage regression, suggests he's a good bet to start lighting the lamp soon.

Another looks at PDO for all the players on the team and explains how poor puck luck is likely at work in explaining how many Canucks are struggling to score and how others are surrendering more goals than expected.

Here's the full list:

IMG_0421.PNG

"PDO" is shooting percentage and save percentage (on-ice) added together. The normal rate is 100, and most players will "regress to the norm" over time. "xPDO" is the expected PDO rate based on player statistics. And the final column represents the difference between the two (and the area where "regression" should result in change over time.

Only three Canucks are expected to cool off from their current rates. The remainder of the team should see increases as the season progresses (which means overall better results are predicted for this team).

The final article in on Gaunce and explains that while he's not scoring, his possession metrics show he's been excellent defensively, as indicated by strong "shot suppression" stats. He's also now moved into second place (behind Sutter) in faceoff percentage on the Canucks.

Definitely positive indicators of Gaunce providing good value as a defensive forward. 

I'd still like to see him converting more of positive rate of shooting events into a better goal differential, and that probably will happen eventually. My only question right now is whether or not some Utica time in a more offensive role and higher minutes might "jump start" the process?

But as the article notes, limiting opposition offense and winning some key draws is about all you can expect from a player getting the usage Gaunce has seen this season. So he's doing a fine job as a defensive 4C. I just think he has more to offer than that so I'm hoping he can still develop into a player than provides a little more scoring than he has to-date.

Overall, a nice positive series from Canucks Army. Would love to see more of these kinds of articles from their writing staff.

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Jon Abbott ‏@HockeyAbbs  1m1 minute ago

#Canucks set up to skate the same way they did last game.

22-33-20

47-53-14

60-45-21

9-50-46

23-51

27-44

5-88

Miller

Yahoo fantasy hockey should really change sutter to C/W instead of just C. It'll really help my roster management! 

Come on... Its been like 4 games now! 

Last place is on the line

26Detroit 19 8 10 1 17 6 46 51 -5 5-6-0 3-4-1 2-0 2-7-1 L4 Nov 20: DET 2 - CGY 3 Nov 23 @ BUF
27Calgary 21 8 12 1 17 7 49 69 -20 3-7-0 5-5-1 1-1 4-6-0 L1 Nov 21: CGY 2 - BUF 4 Nov 23 @ CBJ
28NY Islanders 18 6 8 4 16 5 45 56 -11 5-4-3 1-4-1 1-2 3-3-4 W1 Nov 22: NYI 3 - ANA 2 Nov 23 @ LAK
29Vancouver 19 7 10 2 16 6 41 61 -20 6-4-1 1-6-1 1-1 3-6-1 OT1 Nov 19: VAN 3 - CHI 4 Nov 23 @ ARI
30Arizona 17 6 9 2 14 5 44 56 -12 4-3-0 2-6-2 1-0 4-4-2 W1 Nov 19: ARI 3 - SJS 2 Nov 23 vs VA

Just now, Heretic said:

Posting but doubt I'll watch...for the first time as a fan of the Canucks, I just don't care....

I thought you were a long time fan?  Didn't you have the pleasure to experience the slovenly seventies, the ugly eighties, and then top it off with the nasty nineties?  

16 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Posting but doubt I'll watch...for the first time as a fan of the Canucks, I just don't care....

At the end of the day, this is the most glorious sporting franchise of all time. 

Any opportunity to watch them should be relished. Especially this year with all the come backs... And drama. 

Just heard Bo mention on 1040 that it's a must win. Hope all the boys follow his words and put it all on the line. 

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is just ridiculous.

Obviously Stecher will only get 50. Dorsett will get one from the press box too. Geez try to keep it realistic, would ya?

Stetcher with 50 goals and 1 assist and Dorsett with 1 goal and 50 assists. 

Definitely more realistic than my other prediction. I don't know what I was thinking predicting Stetcher with 51 goals,  just ridiculous thinking on my part. 

Archived