The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Bo Horvat Next Contract

Nessnuck27

If he goes short, (doubtful) i think 4.8 per year over 2-3 years might do it

Long term is the preference and he will command 6-6.5 mill over 7-8 years comparing him to Monahan.

He just doesn't show any downside on his progression, outside of raw speed/ talent like Gaudreau or Kane(not the Evander version), He checks all the boxes on leadership , 50-70 points consistently, and so far(fingers crossed) is a very durable player for us.

He is already a very good #2 centre and potentially with good wingers is our #1 guy we've been waiting for. He makes every player on his line better includng Sven, Burrows, Dorsett, Granlund etc...

Sign our future long term!

11 hours ago, FijianCanuck said:

He's going to want more than Monahan. 

No. He won't. 

Why is everybody overpaying this kid? He's yet to have a full consistent season! No more than 4.5 million per year. I don't even want to pay him that much. If he strings together a consistent season then we give him his money, but until then, no. 

He's a great player, just needs to be less streaky. 

40 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

No. He won't. 

Why is everybody overpaying this kid? He's yet to have a full consistent season! No more than 4.5 million per year. I don't even want to pay him that much. If he strings together a consistent season then we give him his money, but until then, no. 

He's a great player, just needs to be less streaky. 

There's no way he's signing long term for 4.5 mil. He's the best canuck night in and out and will want more then 5 mil.

49 minutes ago, FijianCanuck said:

There's no way he's signing long term for 4.5 mil. He's the best canuck night in and out and will want more then 5 mil.

Excuse me?

The young players in the league who are getting over 5 have all proven a lot more over a longer period than Horvat. At his current pace, I see him signing something around 3 years @ 4.25 mil - right between Rickard Rakell and Nikita Kucherov. I wouldn't be opposed at offering him something longer term for a higher amount, but I can't see any reason for it to be higher than 5 mil.

I'm not going to talk money, that is going to be worked out between the agent and management.

But the Canucks do need to recognize Bo's contributions and sign him for a longer term deal

They need to recognize he is the Captain in waiting, that he is on an upward curve, and a lot of the future of the team rests on his shoulders.

As people have mentioned, he is on target for a 50+ point season, and that is with a VERY slow start to the season for the team and his linemates... if Baerschi starts to heat up as I expect he will do, Bo could hit 60 points easily.

Not to say he doesn't have a lot of areas where he can improve... for example, he need to vary his offensive 'go to' moves, I'd like to see him try button-hooks after entering the O-Zone, criss-crosses with his wingers, and drop passes to trailers more.

But in my opinion, Bo Horvat is clearly an NHL star in the making.  Not on the offensive level of the Sedins at their best, but he will bring a more complete game than them... his defensive game is going to continue to improve.

I couldn't understand why he was not included in Team North America in the World Cup... a travesty as far as I'm concerned.

28 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Excuse me?

The young players in the league who are getting over 5 have all proven a lot more over a longer period than Horvat. At his current pace, I see him signing something around 3 years @ 4.25 mil - right between Rickard Rakell and Nikita Kucherov. I wouldn't be opposed at offering him something longer term for a higher amount, but I can't see any reason for it to be higher than 5 mil.

You've been excused.

We will find our shortly but the canucks are eager to sign him long term and I just don't see it being less than 5 mil a season. Bo knows money

50 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Excuse me?

The young players in the league who are getting over 5 have all proven a lot more over a longer period than Horvat. At his current pace, I see him signing something around 3 years @ 4.25 mil - right between Rickard Rakell and Nikita Kucherov. I wouldn't be opposed at offering him something longer term for a higher amount, but I can't see any reason for it to be higher than 5 mil.

You're kidding me right? Have you even been watching the Canucks? :blink:

4 hours ago, Mattrek said:

You're kidding me right? Have you even been watching the Canucks? :blink:

Have you been watching Benn, Huberdeau, Forsberg, Monahan, Duchene, Schwartz, Saad, Landeskog, etc. over the years? Because those are the young players that got long-term deals in the 5-6 million range. They all accomplished a lot more than Bo has before getting that money.

I got nothing against Bo - quite like him. I'm just not as certain he'll be as effective as the players listed above. His stats surely haven't been in their league the last 2 years. So why should we pay him as much as them?

This kid's a stud and apparently not very injury prone (knock on wood). His work ethic, his demeanor on the ice makes it obvious we have a gem in Horvat. He's a much more complete player than some of the above mentioned! 

Manny Malhotra teaching Bo the ropes, how can you not be excited? :)

20 hours ago, Nessnuck27 said:

There has been lots of buzz around saying that Bo Horvat has been the Canucks best player and is going to be a our future Captain (Which he is :towel:), and that management should sign him to a new contract sooner than later.

Predicting Bo's next contract based on some similar player comparisons around the NHL.

Bo Horvat 6 years @ 27 million = 4.5m/ year 

This deal will take him to UFA, but that is where if he really starts producing points, we can lock him up long term with whatever contract he wants. 

If he doesn't want a long term contract and wants a Bridge Deal...

Bo Horvat 2 years @ 6.5 million = 3.5m/year

Thoughts?

You should get your school money back... :)

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Have you been watching Benn, Huberdeau, Forsberg, Monahan, Duchene, Schwartz, Saad, Landeskog, etc. over the years? Because those are the young players that got long-term deals in the 5-6 million range. They all accomplished a lot more than Bo has before getting that money.

I got nothing against Bo - quite like him. I'm just not as certain he'll be as effective as the players listed above. His stats surely haven't been in their league the last 2 years. So why should we pay him as much as them?

I understand your reservations. I tend to prefer a 3 year bridge deal. By that time how well Benning has rebuilt the forward group will be clearer.

I doubt Benning's attitude toward negotiation with Bo will change much from Hutton. A bridge deal to get a better feel for the players potential and then a new contract. It has advantages for both the org and the player. As Benning stated he is quite willing to pay the upper side of scale if the player reaches the upper end of potential.

Archived