The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign D Ben Hutton [2 year × $2.8M AAV]

4 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

There are a lot of players that are going to need deals in the coming months. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Hopefully Management has a good budget plan. Bo Nikita and Guddy, you're up.

Should be interesting to see the contracts those three get.

That being said, well done Benning.

It's a fair contract. How much difference would a $2.5 million instead of a $2.8 million AAV make to this team? If people are worried about his next contract being more expensive, his play in the next two years will do more to determine how much he gets paid than an extra 300K on a bridge deal.

Clearly this is a bridge deal.  $2.5m would have been about right, but $2.8m won't hurt us for 2 years.  This guy oozes potential.  A bit more experience, a bit more strength, and a bit more of getting outta the sophomore slump and he'll be a solid 40pts+ defenceman.

Our future on defence looks incredibly solid:

Juolevi-Tanev

Hutton-Guddy

Tryamkin-Stecher

(yes, Edler is not in the picture and Sbisa will likely be picked up in the expansion draft)

Now we just need to build on the Top 6:

Horvat

Boeser

Baertschi

Virtanen

Goaltending is good to go:

Demko

Markstrom

I think Benning has done a great job so far.  It'll take another 2 or 3 years to fill out the Top 6.  We need to inject some high end skill into that forward group --- Hello Eeli Tolvanen.

Good stuff. That's Baer and Hutton both with bridge show-me deals. I'm wondering if Horvat gets the same? Maybe more leverage for him. 

Have to think that with Horvat/Gudbranson/Hutton/Tryamkin all due raises that Burrows won't get re-signed or they're hoping Sbisa's 3.6m gets picked up in an expansion draft. That or let Miller go, and don't sign a bonafide starter. Just spitballing. If anything this highlights how good the Hutton contract is. 

5 minutes ago, drsofthands said:

can someone explain to me why a player would want a bridge deal? less term, less money, more risk, still an rfa at the end of it.

Well the obvious answer is that after the bridge deal, the player hopes to have proven himself and start earning more $ than if they had signed a long term deal to start.

Maybe Hutty still wanted 6 years @ 4M but if the Canucks aren't interested he's not exactly in a position of power as an RFA.

10 minutes ago, drsofthands said:

can someone explain to me why a player would want a bridge deal? less term, less money, more risk, still an rfa at the end of it.

As for Hutton, you can't expect to get a 8 years deal when you played less than 100 NHL games.

Less short-term money, in exchange for more long-term money.  Cap will rise, he'll have more bargaining powers.

-For example instead of signing a 6 years deal right away a 4M$ for a total of 24M$

-Hutton is hoping to sign a 5,6M$, two year deal right now and hopefully continue to rise and sign an 8 years 6M$ after that.

-So instead of having 24M$ for 6 years, he gets 29.6$M for the same six years (5.6M$ two years, + 24M$ the other four years) and 53.6M$ over 10 years.

(not saying that's what he's worth, just throwing numbers as an example)

Basically you want to sign your long-term deal in your prime or close.

Archived