Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign D Ben Hutton [2 year × $2.8M AAV]


Recommended Posts

JB needs to get some credit for turning this D core around.  When he took over the D core looked bleak.  Now we have a D core that is young mobile and has some grit. They really have something to build around now.

 

Tanev, Hutton, Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Stecher, Sbisa and Edler.

 

All that is missing is a PP QB that can read the play and make the right play out of the zone the first time...oh wait I forgot

 

Juolevi

 

Lets see what JB can do for the top 6 during the next couple years.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

JB needs to get some credit for turning this D core around.  When he took over the D core looked bleak.  Now we have a D core that is young mobile and has some grit. They really have something to build around now.

 

Tanev, Hutton, Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Stecher, Sbisa and Edler.

 

All that is missing is a PP QB that can read the play and make the right play out of the zone the first time...oh wait I forgot

 

Juolevi

 

Lets see what JB can do for the top 6 during the next couple years.

 

 

Yep he has stuck to what he's said.  He's building this team from the net out. 

 

Goaltending is looking good, defence is looking good, now he's about to work on the forwards.

 

He's building this team the right way.  I'm extremely excited about our defence in the future.  Look how good Tryamkin and Stecher look in their rookie seasons as Defenceman.  Crazy.  Super excited about the future of this team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, apollo said:

Man oh man what I'd give to be a fly on the wall when Jimbo is talking $ with agents...

Good for Ben. Solid guy, incredibly nice, about time he cashed in.

Try to think before posting sometimes apollo.

 

Are you really suggesting that a young top 4 playing 21 minutes a night took dumb-ole Jimbo to the cleaners on a two year 2.8 bridge?

 

 

Good deal for the team -  thanks to Ben for taking a reasonable bridge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Try to think before posting sometimes apollo.

 

Are you really suggesting that a young top 4 playing 21 minutes a night took dumb-ole Jimbo to the cleaners on a two year 2.8 bridge?

 

 

Good deal for the team -  thanks to Ben for taking a reasonable bridge.

You are being a bit defensive, arent you? I don't see how you came to that conclusion from his post. I am curious about JB's negotiating tactics as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Yep he has stuck to what he's said.  He's building this team from the net out. 

 

Goaltending is looking good, defence is looking good, now he's about to work on the forwards.

 

He's building this team the right way.  I'm extremely excited about our defence in the future.  Look how good Tryamkin and Stecher look in their rookie seasons as Defenceman.  Crazy.  Super excited about the future of this team. 

I think what will make things even more interesting is that Benning said he is done  dealing picks to get players in that 22-28 year old range.  When he took over he had to deal picks to get some players in that stop gap age range.  He has found guys like Lockwood and Tryamkin in later rounds, id love to see what he can do in the second round during the next 2 to 3 years.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Toews said:

You are being a bit defensive, arent you? I don't see how you came to that conclusion from his post. I am curious about JB's negotiating tactics as well.

I know apollo well enough to know what he is saying - and it's not exactly unpredictable lol - it's about as cookie-cutter as you'll find with any poster on these boards - he thinks "Jimbo" gets taken to the cleaners every time he talks contract.

 

He's also honest enough to own it - I highly doubt you'll find apollo coming in here to deny this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Clearly this is a bridge deal.  $2.5m would have been about right, but $2.8m won't hurt us for 2 years.  This guy oozes potential.  A bit more experience, a bit more strength, and a bit more of getting outta the sophomore slump and he'll be a solid 40pts+ defenceman.

 

Our future on defence looks incredibly solid:

 

Juolevi-Tanev

Hutton-Guddy

Tryamkin-Stecher

(yes, Edler is not in the picture and Sbisa will likely be picked up in the expansion draft)

 

Now we just need to build on the Top 6:

 

Horvat

Boeser

Baertschi

Virtanen

 

Goaltending is good to go:

 

Demko

Markstrom

 

I think Benning has done a great job so far.  It'll take another 2 or 3 years to fill out the Top 6.  We need to inject some high end skill into that forward group --- Hello Eeli Tolvanen.

How do we know this is a sophmore slump. maybe hes just not that good. short term deal is good to prove himself 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

 

 

I don't think there's any doubt anywhere that Bo Horvat will become Mr. Canuck, the heart, cornerstone, and face of the franchise for the next decade plus.  A long-term Monahan/Gaudreau/Sheifele-type lock-up deal will happen shortly as these rebuilding franchises anchor their future.  Kudos to Mr. Gillis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've like Hutton's play a lot more in recent games - he's being more assertive - he's made some very crafty defensive interventions and he appears to be moving the puck with more confidence.  He put on some bulk in the summer which isn't always easy to carry right off the bat.

He certainly has lots of upside, but I also think he has the makings of a very solid defensive blueliner.

 

But the thing that seems most improved to me - his shot seems to have really gained some pepper.  Nice to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I've like Hutton's play a lot more in recent games - he's being more assertive - he's made some very crafty defensive interventions and he appears to be moving the puck with more confidence.  He put on some bulk in the summer which isn't always easy to carry right off the bat.

He certainly has lots of upside, but I also think he has the makings of a very solid defensive blueliner.

 

But the thing that seems most improved to me - his shot seems to have really gained some pepper.  Nice to see.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems like a fair deal for both sides. And great timing.

 

Hutton seems to be regaining his form in recent games. And he's obviously thrilled to get the deal done  and have security and commitment from the Canucks.

 

Hopefully this will all translate into some good on-ice results for Ben from here on out (and lots of reasons for him to keep smiling).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...