The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign D Ben Hutton [2 year × $2.8M AAV]

I don't see Gudbranson being worth more than $4M at this point, although I doubt he signs for that. We could end up paying him for potential (a la Sbisa), which wouldn't exactly be ideal. It's tough to say what his potential is. I think he's a lot closer to his ceiling than Hutton is.

I don't think it's within either party's best interest to sign a new deal before the summer. I think both management and Guddy would prefer to take a wait and see approach. It's hard to imagine both sides agreeing on anything long term either. Unless Guddy really comes into his own in the 2nd half of the season.

22 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I don't think there's any doubt anywhere that Bo Horvat will become Mr. Canuck, the heart, cornerstone, and face of the franchise for the next decade plus.  A long-term Monahan/Gaudreau/Sheifele-type lock-up deal will happen shortly as these rebuilding franchises anchor their future.  Kudos to Mr. Gillis.

Horvat is a beast but Mr. Gillis didn't exactly get him for nothing ;) 

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I don't see Gudbranson being worth more than $4M at this point, although I doubt he signs for that. We could end up paying him for potential (a la Sbisa), which wouldn't exactly be ideal. It's tough to say what his potential is. I think he's a lot closer to his ceiling than Hutton is.

I don't think it's within either party's best interest to sign a new deal before the summer. I think both management and Guddy would prefer to take a wait and see approach. It's hard to imagine both sides agreeing on anything long term either. Unless Guddy really comes into his own in the 2nd half of the season.

As it stands now, I think even in arbitration he would have a hard time getting anything over 4M.

I predict steady improvement this year and him signing 4.6M x 5 in the summer

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I know apollo well enough to know what he is saying - and it's not exactly unpredictable lol - it's about as cookie-cutter as you'll find with any poster on these boards - he thinks "Jimbo" gets taken to the cleaners every time he talks contract.

He's also honest enough to own it - I highly doubt you'll find apollo coming in here to deny this.

LOL! I think you got upset I called him Jimbo again... from now on I'll go by Sir Jim Shoulda been a scout (aka poor mans Mike Gillis) Benning

I'm fine with this deal honestly... he's an RFA when it ends. Pay him a good about of money to keep him happy and instill confidence in him hoping he succeeds even further. I did follow up what I said with " Good for Ben. Solid guy, incredibly nice, about time he cashed in. " so I thought that would show what I thought of the term. 

But yes, I can't blame you for your reaction and did get a chuckle out of it. As you know, I'm not a fan of Jimbo at the moment and I do take every chance I get to knock him for his poor asset management and poor $$ spending habits... this deal though, I'm alright with.

he better a hellava lot better than he is right now for that kind of $.  If people are crying about Sbisa's contract, they must be livid about this one.  I think he will put it all together, but right now he's far and away the worst dman in the lineup.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

he better a hellava lot better than he is right now for that kind of $.  If people are crying about Sbisa's contract, they must be livid about this one.  I think he will put it all together, but right now he's far and away the worst dman in the lineup.

Hutton's soft, sucks at defense, has solid offense and good future potential. 

That's my assessment, but he is far from our worst Dman. 

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Good stuff. That's Baer and Hutton both with bridge show-me deals. I'm wondering if Horvat gets the same? Maybe more leverage for him. 

Have to think that with Horvat/Gudbranson/Hutton/Tryamkin all due raises that Burrows won't get re-signed or they're hoping Sbisa's 3.6m gets picked up in an expansion draft. That or let Miller go, and don't sign a bonafide starter. Just spitballing. If anything this highlights how good the Hutton contract is. 

I think it's fair/safe to say that Burrows and Miller will be most likely gone this offseason. Burrows either can find a job elsewhere or he'll retire as a Canuck (which I think he should do). Miller still has a little mileage left in the tank so he can land a role elsewhere. That shaves us 10m in the offseason to give Horvat at least 4-5m, Guddy around the same and Tryamkin around 1.5-2.5. Then we'll find out who will be gone from expansion draft and we can then re-sign Gaunce, Rodin (if he plays good), and one or two of Labate, Chaput, and Megna

4 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Sucks at defense? His hockey IQ is incredible and his foot speed and positioning is certainly up there. Makes a great first pass outlet of the zone and makes the smart play instead of coughing up the puck. Sure he'll make mistakes, who doesn't, but we already know what we're getting from Hutton and there's so much more room for improvement.

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

who, in the current lineup is worse?  Sbisa?  I would argue he's actually been one of the best.  Stetcher?  Tryamkin?

33 minutes ago, sonoman said:

75 shots a day. Brett Hull did 50. Now that's dedication. He's 23. He has 6 years before he hits his peak. I'm super excited to see what that is as I think we may be surprised where he ends up. If he's already a pretty damn good d-man he might end up as a top 2 if he continues to improve.

2 hours ago, drsofthands said:

can someone explain to me why a player would want a bridge deal? less term, less money, more risk, still an rfa at the end of it.

Because your play may be worth more annually in a couple years, especially if you're a young player.

Archived