The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign D Ben Hutton [2 year × $2.8M AAV]

we have a ton of cap to resign guddy tryamkin horvat gaunce rodin next season like 17-18 mill and with  the expansion draft  happening i see tons of teams making multiple trades at deadline so they dont lose younger cheaper players.

hansen, tanev, sbisa, miller could be traded for max value  so granlund, rodin, gaunce dont get stolen  leaving  larsen, dorsett, biega as our expansion loss

tanev and hansen for younger sniper to contenders going on cup run

sbisa to team needing d help  take picks or young prospect his 3.6 mill contract isnt to bad only 1 yr left on it as well

miller either reupps super cheap 1.5 mill one yr or is traded for draft picks 

burrows could be traded at deadline for a possible 2nd or 3rd with his play of late if a contender needs pk helper and utility player 

next season draft a good sniper, juolevi and boeser and demko come up win win benning is making good moves 

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

he better a hellava lot better than he is right now for that kind of $.  If people are crying about Sbisa's contract, they must be livid about this one.  I think he will put it all together, but right now he's far and away the worst dman in the lineup.

He makes 800k less than Sbisa and actually can play top 4 and put up points. People not liking Sbisa's contract should have nothing to do with this one.

I'm not sure what bargaining power Benning would have to pay him much less than he got. He's playing top 4 minutes on this team and is in his prime years now. Not sure what makes people so sure he should have got much less.

At the very worst he just became a much more valuable trading chip if they decide to go that route.

11 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

we have a ton of cap to resign guddy tryamkin horvat gaunce rodin next season like 17-18 mill and with  the expansion draft  happening i see tons of teams making multiple trades at deadline so they dont lose younger cheaper players.

hansen, tanev, sbisa, miller could be traded for max value  so granlund, rodin, gaunce dont get stolen  leaving  larsen, dorsett, biega as our expansion loss

tanev and hansen for younger sniper to contenders going on cup run

sbisa to team needing d help  take picks or young prospect his 3.6 mill contract isnt to bad only 1 yr left on it as well

miller either reupps super cheap 1.5 mill one yr or is traded for draft picks 

burrows could be traded at deadline for a possible 2nd or 3rd with his play of late if a contender needs pk helper and utility player 

next season draft a good sniper, juolevi and boeser and demko come up win win benning is making good moves 

Neither Larsen or Biega qualify for exposure. Well if Biega gets another 21 games this year he can be exposed, we'd need 30 some games out of Larsen.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"It's exciting news. Ben has been a nice surprise since he got here. He's a great young player and he's playing real well" - Desjardins

I see Willie's been working on his grammar.

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Judging by this, Dorsett, Sbisa, Sutter, and LE. Gudbranson should be getting somewhere between Burns and a Weber type deal. Horvat will probably be in that Patrick Kane range +/- a few 100k. 

What Hutton gets wouldn't effect Horvat's contract in any way. They're not gonna use D comparables for a forwards contract.

If anything this just lowered Gudbranson's contract. Hutton is playing the same minutes as him and putting up points. Plus they're around the same age. This puts Gudbranson in the 4.2-4.8 range IMO.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

What Hutton gets wouldn't effect Horvat's contract in any way. They're not gonna use D comparables for a forwards contract.

If anything this just lowered Gudbranson's contract. Hutton is playing the same minutes as him and putting up points. Plus they're around the same age. This puts Gudbranson in the 4.2-4.8 range IMO.

I was just thinking that Benning usually pays about a 75% premium. Maybe someone should tell him that the first proposal can be negotiated. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

I was just thinking that Benning usually pays about a 75% premium. Maybe someone should tell him that the first proposal can be negotiated. 

So in your expert opinion what should Hutton be making and what comparables would you use?

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Chris Tanev. 

IMG_0632.PNG

Tanev had put up a total of 10 points over 3 seasons when he got that first contract. He also wasn't playing in our top 4 at that point. In comparison, Hutton put up 25 points in his first season and is now regularly playing top 4 minutes.

The second contract is more comparable since he put up 17 points before earning that contract. He still wasn't a regular in the top 4 at that point though, so minutes weren't comparable.

That was also 3 years ago that Tanev got a contract for 1.5 million and the salary cap has risen since then.

Archived