Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's happening with this team? The new core is learning to win by themselves


*Buzzsaw*

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

As players and high character guys, yes...for leadership qualities, you are just expressing your opinion. 

 

My idea of a good leader is someone who carries their own load and at times that of others.    

 

 

 

 

 

That's just super. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the more significant issues around this team right now in relation to "the plan" is that they've been expecting/need the young guys to step up now.

 

It's been less about slower, conventional development and more about relying on them to take the next step now. The Sedins even said this in a recent interview as one of the main issues.

 

The Coyotes game indicates what "should be" the norm ... Baertschi, Horvat and Granlund leading the charge with Eriksson and vets like Burrows bolstering the production. The young guys didn't do it alone in that game, which is what they're striving for on a nightly basis.

 

Without that, we rely on the Sedins, who were held scoreless. And without younger guys stepping up, we lose. So, they HAVE TO step up consistently in order to win and for "the plan" to succeed.

 

If the young guys aren't contributing and the vets are struggling, we're hooped. Hopefully Baertschi, Horvat, and Granlund can use the last game to build more confidence going forward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

 

You do realize that Bo Horvat already has about half of the total PK ice time that each Sedin has for their entire careers right?

Gotta link for this?

 

And you do realize that what you said was this,  ""Thats all they have ever been asked to do." , right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

 

They have certainly been better together over the years. With both coming down to earth a bit at 36 years old though that gap may actually be shrinking.

 

I remember at the time thinking how dangerous Henrik looked without Daniel and sort of being surprised by it (in a good way).

 

Daniel has not been quite as effective without Henrik. He definitely plays a bit differently though. With his familiarity with Burrows and his somewhat underrated playmaking ability (overshadowed no doubt by Henrik's) I think he could be very effective on Horvats line. 

I would suggest that it took Daniel almost a year to recover from the Duncan Keith elbow. I was going to mention that I thought the Twins were playing a more physical game last year but I am not seeing it this year.

 

When it comes to the Sedins legacy I will have them behind Linden and Smyl behind the Twins. I do not consider Naslund anymore than a ROH legend. Never got his team past the 2nd round. Linden-Twins-Bure-Smyl. Twins rank higher than Bure only because of their longevity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

One of the more significant issues around this team right now in relation to "the plan" is that they've been expecting/need the young guys to step up now.

 

It's been less about slower, conventional development and more about relying on them to take the next step now. The Sedins even said this in a recent interview as one of the main issues.

 

The Coyotes game indicates what "should be" the norm ... Baertschi, Horvat and Granlund leading the charge with Eriksson and vets like Burrows bolstering the production. The young guys didn't do it alone in that game, which is what they're striving for on a nightly basis.

 

Without that, we rely on the Sedins, who were held scoreless. And without younger guys stepping up, we lose. So, they HAVE TO step up consistently in order to win and for "the plan" to succeed.

 

If the young guys aren't contributing and the vets are struggling, we're hooped. Hopefully Baertschi, Horvat, and Granlund can use the last game to build more confidence going forward. 

'The Plan' stretches over a minimum 4 - 5 years. IMO this year is all about player development. Winning is nice but compete level and TOI is the priority. Unfortunately the forward group is struggling most nights but hopefully be year end a few of them will have shown they are NHLers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

 

That you have an ignorant and antiquated view of what leadership is, sure.

Whatever.  Teams tend to reflect their leadership.  Nucks have been considered a "soft" team with little push back for years.  Perhaps that is not such a coincidence. 

 

You are free to follow whatever leadership style you choose...as am I.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Whatever.  Teams tend to reflect their leadership.  Nucks have been considered a "soft" team with little push back for years.  Perhaps that is not such a coincidence. 

 

You are free to follow whatever leadership style you choose...as am I.

 

I have no issue with either style (or any other ones that may be out there). Good leadership is good leadership regardless of which flavour it comes in.

 

It also ignores that there's more than one or two leaders on a team that can and do compliment each other/the team. The twins may fall in to a more 'reserved' style of leadership but did guys like Kesler, Burrows, Mitchell etc? No.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

 

I have no issue with either style (or any other ones that may be out there). Good leadership is good leadership regardless of which flavour it comes in.

 

It also ignores that there's more than one or two leaders on a team that can and do compliment each other/the team. The twins may fall in to a more 'reserved' style of leadership but did guys like Kesler, Burrows, Mitchell etc? No.

Mitchell is going back a bit far.  Kesler played hard but seldom answered the call and Burrows was a pest.

The Sedins are great examples of talented and classy players.  I would never question that.  I just feel that the most effective leaders have an edge that can add value at times...Toews, Iginla, D. Brown, McDonaugh, Weber, Crosby  etc.  They all can exert their will by physical force at times and it rallies the troops.  Sure other guys can do that as well but the Captain holds a special place on every team.  They have to be respected and their actions reflect on the team and organization.   The twins can't help or  change who they are but there have been too many instances where they have failed to stand up or push back in situations where it could have had a major impact on the team.    

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

All these years later and some people still buy into the Don Cherry "swedes are soft" crap. I'm hoping that line of thought dies out when Don does.

Don 

Cherry said the toughest players are ones who possess the puck to make plays.  Our Twins take a beating to make plays; they are ABSOLUTELY tough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

 

You forget Kess had a bad hip injury derail him after the Nashville series, come on bro, keep comparing points, but where were the Twins in the clutch??? Show me a highlight of where they were involved in some clutch game winning goals and I will digress from my argument, but I know you cannot so give me a kit kat, because I love chocolate bars rather than watching some soft ass swedish players we have seen since Naslund lead this franchise. 

 

I would love to have a Toews type player on this team, his name is Bo, but instead we keep having to pay for watching some cowards lead this team. 

 

Hi Trevor? Did you have a broken nose and some broken ribs while playing in game 7? So why would I pay for some cowards who cannot even stick up for their own teammates Mr. President? Mr. Aquaman? 

wow you are a bit jaded

let's replace the sedins name with gretzky

cuz all your comments would apply equally to him

you just prefer a different style of hockey than the sedins bring

and you appear to need to call them cowards to support your views

you are not showing much courage yourself i think

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Gotta link for this?

 

And you do realize that what you said was this,  ""Thats all they have ever been asked to do." , right?

 

Nhl.com player stats. It's easy to look up.

 

Go ahead and take my comment that literally if it makes you feel better. Clearly they are offensive specialists and have been for years. If they don't produce offensively what do they really add to the team? Shut down defensive play? Nope. Physical play? Nope. Inspirational play to put the team on their back at critical times? Nope.

 

They are basically offense or nothing. Their deployment now is as much about shielding them defensively than about creating offense though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

'The Plan' stretches over a minimum 4 - 5 years. IMO this year is all about player development. Winning is nice but compete level and TOI is the priority. Unfortunately the forward group is struggling most nights but hopefully be year end a few of them will have shown they are NHLers.

Agree about player development but it's not equal across the board or can be applied in the same manner to all players. Virtanen is the prime example of slower, conventional development who needs that pace and more TOI right now at a level where he can compete.

 

But our young guys who are NHL ready and developing at this level need to take a step forward. They don't need to be superstars, they just need to take the next step as contributors. The Coyotes game was a good example.

 

I'm not really talking about winning as related to our young guys, I'm saying they need the young guys to contribute. That next level of compete through contribution via priority on TOI.

 

As long as they contribute and keep moving forward in their development, eventually wins will come. At the same time, though, where this team is with forwards struggling, they do need to rely on the young guys to step up as well. It's a necessity to the overall compete of the team.

 

What the Sedins were referring to was how no one was emerging yet they need the young guys to take the next step in their development since they're only here this year and next. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...