The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's happening with this team? The new core is learning to win by themselves

*Buzzsaw*

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

It's just sad to me how the younger fans seem to think they can do everything without being taught.

Not sure what your point is in saying the vets are better than the kids?

You joking? Sedins could not kill a penalty if they tried, just ask torts. They are also one dimensional in their play, if they cant score they are useless. Unlike Burrows who makes plays while killing penalties. what exactly is your point? 

That is whyt we need vets to improve our dismal record? Guess what Bo having 4th line min is our leading scorer?? what sense does that make, o right, that our young players like Bo, Sven, Hutton, Stech, Trymak are ready to take the next step. 

Instead we see the Twins continue to dominate First line PP mins while passing endlessly back and forth and bobbling the puck on some easy passes. Yea keep giving the "vets" mins, because after all they are proven winners right? Cant even one time a pass and our PP has been HORRID since Salo and Erhoff left, jee I wonder why. 

6 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Not sure what your point is in saying the vets are better than the kids?

You joking? Sedins could not kill a penalty if they tried, just ask torts. They are also one dimensional in their play, if they cant score they are useless. Unlike Burrows who makes plays while killing penalties. what exactly is your point? 

That is whyt we need vets to improve our dismal record? Guess what Bo having 4th line min is our leading scorer?? what sense does that make, o right, that our young players like Bo, Sven, Hutton, Stech, Trymak are ready to take the next step. 

Instead we see the Twins continue to dominate First line PP mins while passing endlessly back and forth and bobbling the puck on some easy passes. Yea keep giving the "vets" mins, because after all they are proven winners right? Cant even one time a pass and our PP has been HORRID since Salo and Erhoff left, jee I wonder why. 

Go back to school and learn how to read. At what point of my posts did I say the vets are better? I said the kids need to learn from the vets. 

4 minutes ago, smokes said:

Go back to school and learn how to read. At what point of my posts did I say the vets are better? I said the kids need to learn from the vets. 

Go back to school and learn how to prove a point. Based on your quotes you clearly indicated our young kids are inferior to our vets. 

Do not question my education kid. 

5 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Go back to school and learn how to prove a point. Based on your quotes you clearly indicated our young kids are inferior to our vets. 

Do not question my education kid. 

Reading Comprehension is what is needed in your education baby boy. I indicated that the young players still need guidance from the vets since Willie D is doing a piss poor job of it.

5 minutes ago, smokes said:

Reading Comprehension is what is needed in your education baby boy. I indicated that the young players still need guidance from the vets since Willie D is doing a piss poor job of it.

Right, you are one of the fools who keep blaming Willie. Guess what? Since Salo and the point threat dissipated our PP has been one of the worst in the NHL. Yet you continue to blame coaching??? Maybe watch the Twins pass it back and forth a thousand times before they get shut down. Kind of like how in the Cup final they could not score, yet Linden on some broken ribs somehow scored two goals??? You kidding me? Bure had numerous chances in game 7, yet the Sedins could barely get a shot on net and stick up for themselves? Go watch some video, or Bure's hit on  that goon Churla,. then come back to me when you can actually tell a true NHL player from a Swedish Elite league player. 

1 minute ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Right, you are one of the fools who keep blaming Willie. Guess what? Since Salo and the point threat dissipated our PP has been one of the worst in the NHL. Yet you continue to blame coaching??? Maybe watch the Twins pass it back and forth a thousand times before they get shut down. Kind of like how in the Cup final they could not score, yet Linden on some broken ribs somehow scored two goals??? You kidding me? Bure had numerous chances in game 7, yet the Sedins could barely get a shot on net and stick up for themselves? Go watch some video, or Bure's hit on  that goon Churla,. then come back to me when you can actually tell a true NHL player from a Swedish Elite league player. 

Who started the year with Horvat on the fourth line? Who screwed up Virtanen's development? Who kept playing Vey when he never warranted the minutes? Maybe you should go back and watch some video on how Willie got out coached by  Hartley. 

1 minute ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

You have a point there. I have argued the same point regarding the cup final. Goals dried up for the finals and I think the Twins scored like 1 goal each in the 7 game series.

Just now, smokes said:

Who started the year with Horvat on the fourth line? Who screwed up Virtanen's development? Who kept playing Vey when he never warranted the minutes? Maybe you should go back and watch some video on how Willie got out coached by  Hartley. 

Once again you dodged my question. Who is responsible for our horrid PP? Oh thats right lets let the Twins pass it back and forth between the half wall...heck Stetcher is the only D man who actually one times shots from the point..... be realistic the Twins have been in charge for a while now yet they could not even score in a game 7, and instead pass broken sticks to their opponents (see calgary series). That is not coaching but a few vets trying to act like they make a diff in some tough playoff games.

Keep blaming coaching cause Av is now leading the eastern conf in wins with a supposedly washed up team. Give me a break, PP unit 2 on this team deserves more mins than the Twins at this point, yet Willie D lacks the guts to make a change. Just for your info, AC Jarvis has coached some top 10 PP units in the NHL based on a shoot first philosophy, but I guess the Twins lack the killer instinct to make this a reality. 

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

These boards have been more bi-polar than usual this season, for good reason, the ups and the downs have been kinda steep.

I think what we are seeing is the evolution and re-structuring of the team... right before our eyes.

The new players spent last season watching and waiting for the Sedins to win games... players like Horvat did chip in, but it was secondary scoring.

This year we are seeing a new trend... that being the new players leading the team, not looking to the Sedins anymore, going out and winning games on their own.

PARABLE: A man is stuck on the railroad tracks, his foot jammed between the rail and the wooden tie. He struggles for a bit but is unable to free himself. Suddenly he hears the train's whistle a ways off. He begins to panic and struggle even more. The train gets closer...and closer. His panic turns to terror. At the last moment he turns skyward and yells out to God "if you free me, I promise to turn my life to doing good for others instead of my own selfish pursuits"! At the very last second his foot pops free from its iron grasp and the man dives to safety unharmed. He then turns to God and says "Nevermind, I did it myself".

Your title suggests that having a veteran presence last year (Sedins, Hansen, Burrows, Edler etc) did nothing to help the young guns learn how to win. Even in a loss there is much to be learned. I used to criticize some commenters on here who suggested dumping all the vets and going full on youth...BIG mistake. And I feel that the relative success the next gen is having now is due to having those vets be able to guide them. All the raw talent our youngsters have would have been wasted without a little guidance from the Big Brothers. I'm pretty certain that the youngsters have appreciated it...even if our youth movement fans don't.

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You have a point there. I have argued the same point regarding the cup final. Goals dried up for the finals and I think the Twins scored like 1 goal each in the 7 game series.

I think we all know that Linden scored 2 goals in game 7 on broken ribs yet the twins while healthy barely mustered some shots on net. But lets celebrate their Art Ross titles while we watch Bure score vs Calgary and then stick up for himself vs Churla. Talk about toughness, the Twins had none and will never will as long as they are leading our team. Heck Bo is a better Captain on ice and in games than Henrik. Flame me away and then watch how Iginla led a horrid Flames team to a game 7 while fighting, scoring and being a true leader. You think players on our team would go to die for a Cap like what we have? Just ask Toews how that would work out. 

I am about done with this argument, Twins have never stuck up for their teammates, let alone each other as evidenced by the Kadri cheapshot where Hansen took the initiative rather than his own brother. 

Enough is enough and it is time for a change. Time for a real Canadian to take the reigns, rather than some soft Swedish players who could not even stick up for each other. 

The only reason we made it to the SCF is because Kess, a true warrior, led us past the Preds based on some godly 2-way play. Bieksa off the stantion? where were the twins? congratulating the opposing team??? 

3 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Once again you dodged my question. Who is responsible for our horrid PP? Oh thats right lets let the Twins pass it back and forth between the half wall...heck Stetcher is the only D man who actually one times shots from the point..... be realistic the Twins have been in charge for a while now yet they could not even score in a game 7, and instead pass broken sticks to their opponents (see calgary series). That is not coaching but a few vets trying to act like they make a diff in some tough playoff games.

Keep blaming coaching cause Av is now leading the eastern conf in wins with a supposedly washed up team. Give me a break, PP unit 2 on this team deserves more mins than the Twins at this point, yet Willie D lacks the guts to make a change. Just for your info, AC Jarvis has coached some top 10 PP units in the NHL based on a shoot first philosophy, but I guess the Twins lack the killer instinct to make this a reality. 

Our PP has no triggerman. The Sedins have always been set up first, they can only play with what they have. And again reading comprehension. When did I even say anything about AV? I said Willie. And why is it me blaming coaching when I say Willie is not leading but you yourself contradicting yourself by saying Willie has no guts is not?

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

It was good to see Bo's line  scoring off the rush against Arizona. But then, Arizona is also at the bottom of the league these days. As the season has gone on Bo has been given more and more ice time. Which is also good to see.

Since I view this as a development season I loved the fact that Edler and the Twins TOI was where it should be. Edler 22 minutes and the Twins at 18 minutes. As mentioned one or two games is not a season and the ups and downs will continue. Hanson was the Canucks best forward prior to his injury and Sutter is doing well. To me this season was whether Horvat and Baer could produce over a full season rather than a simple spring surge. Horvat is showing that he can but Baer not so much. We'll see.  

It's not about this year.

Sedins are under contract for another season, so there's no rush to do anything. I'd like the Sedins to sign a 2 year deal at the end of their contract and play whatever role they are able to. Having veteran guys like the Sedins around until Bo is 24 is nothing but a positive. Henrik Sedin wasn't captain at age 22.

This whole core is at least 3 years away from being in those prime years. Cutting the Sedins now isn't going to make good players better faster at this point. I'd rather have the kids playing so well on 2nd and 3rd lines that we're having the discussion about how they could be top line players, rather than be in a situation where you have to hope they can handle a role they should have to handle.

3 minutes ago, smokes said:

Our PP has no triggerman. The Sedins have always been set up first, they can only play with what they have. And again reading comprehension. When did I even say anything about AV? I said Willie. And why is it me blaming coaching when I say Willie is not leading but you yourself contradicting yourself by saying Willie has no guts is not?

Your not helping your cause by stating that the Twins need help and cannot do it themselves. Bo on the other hand does not need any "Help" from anyone as I have seen him skate in and split the D and score on his own. Why do the Sedins not participate in shootouts again? Sorry had to throw that plug in there. ::D

Archived