The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's happening with this team? The new core is learning to win by themselves

*Buzzsaw*

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I have been praying for a player like Bo to come along since Linden was traded away. Although the 2011 SC final was OK it did not compare to the all out "WAR" in 94'. Regular season stats are OK but this city needs a Stanley Cup and it will only come from players such as Bo and Kess who are willing to pay the price come playoff time.

I agree. Bo is the type of player that screams playoff competitor. I would be so happy to have a team that plays that hard charging style.

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think it was the Arizona game where WD closed the game out with the Tryamkin-Sbisa pairing. Sure the game was in hand but they are doing more PK'ing all the time. What really bugs me is when the Twins are out in the last 2 minutes of a tight game when the Canucks are winning.

Or when they start a 3 on 3 overtime ahead of Bo. :lol:

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

umm no, Burrows, Bieksa, and the Sedins did just as much. No Bieksa the Canucks wouldn't get past the Sharks. Henrik had 22 points, Daniel had 20 and Kesler had 19. Kesler played one good series against Nashville but was invisible in the others. Don't just pick and choose your history, you gotta see it as a whole.

You forget Kess had a bad hip injury derail him after the Nashville series, come on bro, keep comparing points, but where were the Twins in the clutch??? Show me a highlight of where they were involved in some clutch game winning goals and I will digress from my argument, but I know you cannot so give me a kit kat, because I love chocolate bars rather than watching some soft ass swedish players we have seen since Naslund lead this franchise. 

I would love to have a Toews type player on this team, his name is Bo, but instead we keep having to pay for watching some cowards lead this team. 

Hi Trevor? Did you have a broken nose and some broken ribs while playing in game 7? So why would I pay for some cowards who cannot even stick up for their own teammates Mr. President? Mr. Aquaman? 

4 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

You forget Kess had a bad hip injury derail him after the Nashville series, come on bro, keep comparing points, but where were the Twins in the clutch??? Show me a highlight of where they were involved in some clutch game winning goals and I will digress from my argument, but I know you cannot so give me a kit kat, because I love chocolate bars rather than watching some soft ass swedish players we have seen since Naslund lead this franchise. 

I would love to have a Toews type player on this team, his name is Bo, but instead we keep having to pay for watching some cowards lead this team. 

Hi Trevor? Did you have a broken nose and some broken ribs while playing in game 7? So why would I pay for some cowards who cannot even stick up for their own teammates Mr. President? Mr. Aquaman? 

Shameful.  Let's see you take the punishment they take.  What an embarrassing comment.

Just now, SaintPatrick33 said:

Soft ass Swedish players? Wow you are ignorant. And Bo is no Toews. He's not even a Kesler.

The silver lining in the big losing streak is that the team plays hard each and every night now no matter who we're facing, so inferior last place teams are cake walks to us and and easy points.

Where as top place teams like the hawks, we have a chance to beat, but they're still the hawks.

A little harsh toward the Sedins? They are a different kind of warrior, who play a cerebral game and are nice. 

Being nice does not win hockey games. Sticking up for yourself and your team mates creates a pack mentality and this is what the Canucks are missing.

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Or when they start a 3 on 3 overtime ahead of Bo. :lol:

I am hoping Desjardins learns to be a lot better at reading the pulse of the game and deploying the players who are having strong games at those key times. I have kind of given up hope of that happening though. He seems to believe that players like the Sedins will suddenly revert to the mean in the final two minutes even if they have had a poor game generating little offense. Likewise with the younger players that even if they have been dangerous all game long he seems to assume they will get worse if he doesn't limit their time a bit. It's actually the most bizarre thing I have ever seen, especially when they say winning games is the important thing.

Just now, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Shameful.  Let's see you take the punishment they take.  What an embarrassing comment.

Like I said, having watched Linden vs the Twins in their cup finals, the argument is mute. Broken ribs vs 2 players who did not score in a game 7? Perhaps leave your toughness talk for another thread bud. What a joke, even Bure had the guts to stick up for himself without an enforcer like Gino? What did the Twins do? NOT score in a game 7?

Oh right the stats prove me right. Keep providing your sarcastic comments because that is all you are worth bud. 

The Sedins will be good, useful players for a few years yet, but you can see they are declining. Nice to see Horvat, Baertschi and Burr play so well. Just a matter of time before Bo takes over 1st line duties. My guess is next season the transition will happen. I've also liked Granlund's play.

We all know the Canucks are not a contender this year, and probably not a playoff team, but they have shown glimpses of a team that can play and beat any other team. I'm liking what I'm seeing anyway, Horvat will be a great player one day, most likely the team captain. Looking forward to that and seeing Boeser/Juolevi in a Canucks jersey.

Although the Sedins are not the same players that won the Art Ross in back-to-back seasons, they are smart creative leaders and Bo's learning a lot from them, as will Boeser. This is all good for the Canucks.

1 minute ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Like I said, having watched Linden vs the Twins in their cup finals, the argument is mute. Broken ribs vs 2 players who did not score in a game 7? Perhaps leave your toughness talk for another thread bud. What a joke, even Bure had the guts to stick up for himself without an enforcer like Gino? What did the Twins do? NOT score in a game 7?

Oh right the stats prove me right. Keep providing your sarcastic comments because that is all you are worth bud. 

I'm not being sarcastic.  I'm calling your opinion shameful.  I'm embarrassed for you, and you've lost all credibility in my eyes.  The word you're groping for is 'moot'.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am hoping Desjardins learns to be a lot better at reading the pulse of the game and deploying the players who are having strong games at those key times. I have kind of given up hope of that happening though. He seems to believe that players like the Sedins will suddenly revert to the mean in the final two minutes even if they have had a poor game generating little offense. Likewise with the younger players that even if they have been dangerous all game long he seems to assume they will get worse if he doesn't limit their time a bit. It's actually the most bizarre thing I have ever seen, especially when they say winning games is the important thing.

Well, we've only seen them score in that type of situation like 200 times, so sure.

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

A little harsh toward the Sedins? They are a different kind of warrior, who play a cerebral game and are nice. 

Being nice does not win hockey games. Sticking up for yourself and your team mates creates a pack mentality and this is what the Canucks are missing.

Right because after watching the Bruins win the Cup in 2011 and almost in 2012 (but they were stopped by the great duo of Kane and Toews), toughness does not matter?? Kess and Manny and a whole slew of our players were injured, yet you think the Twins stood up and provided leadershp for our group? this is their weakness, like I said, we named a goddamn goalie as our Cap ahead of the Twins, what kind of joke is this???

Like I said, I love the twins and their offensive ability, but they do not even come close to a Linden, Bure or an Iginla in terms of leadership. That is why they keep taking cheapshots from pussies like Keith and Kadri without any retribution. This is why a bum like Bolland stated "I cant believe the Nucks are going to win the Cup" after going up 2-0 in the SCF.

1 minute ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Right because after watching the Bruins win the Cup in 2011 and almost in 2012 (but they were stopped by the great duo of Kane and Toews), toughness does not matter?? Kess and Manny and a whole slew of our players were injured, yet you think the Twins stood up and provided leadershp for our group? this is their weakness, like I said, we named a goddamn goalie as our Cap ahead of the Twins, what kind of joke is this???

Like I said, I love the twins and their offensive ability, but they do not even come close to a Linden, Bure or an Iginla in terms of leadership. That is why they keep taking cheapshots from pussies like Keith and Kadri without any retribution. This is why a bum like Bolland stated "I cant believe the Nucks are going to win the Cup" after going up 2-0 in the SCF.

Playing through injury was pretty wimpy of them for sure.

Sedins could definitely use a load off their offense with a second line like Bo's.  We'll see how it goes tonight against Dallas.

I'll be out of town for most of the day but gonna tape the game, eager to see the game.

Just now, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Playing through injury was pretty wimpy of them for sure.

Like I said, Linden was cheapshotted by Mess in Game 6, yet he scored 2 goals in game 7, what did the Twins do? from my recollection, they were not inj, but Kess and Manny were sure injured.

Get real and realize who was tougher Bure and Linden or the Twins, Once again, try to prove me wrong and show me some clutch highlights during the 2011 run. Guess what it was dominated by support players like Kes. 

30 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

t Kes was the driving force behind the 2011 team, if not go back and watch the series vs Nashville. 

Kes was a monster in the first 3 rounds. In fact he herniated himself and wasn't able to pull off something similar against Boston. 

Its a bit early, but Bo is showing signs of 'beast mode' but he doesn't have the nasty bits  personality Kesler has - which I'm OK with. Bo was the only fun player to watch vs Calgary in the playoffs, and he's better now. One of the reasons I want to see this team get to round 1 is to see if Bo really has that extra playoff gear. Only one way to find that out. 

This is definitely a transition period for this team.

The challenge for the Sedins will be giving up the reins and allowing others to lead.

The challenge for the coach is allowing this transition to happen and giving more opportunities to the new core.

If this transition is allowed to happen (no pride involved), then the team will have the best of both worlds. The Sedins will transition to a true support role, which will allow the new core to lean on them.

Right now, the Sedins are still commanding the ice time and are the go to guys. The new core are passengers and are still waiting to drive the bus.

Archived