The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's happening with this team? The new core is learning to win by themselves

*Buzzsaw*

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

I totally agree with you their were many excuses that prevented winning the cup but the leading goal scorers have to score and I believe the Twins fell short in this regard no matter what they had to endure. Like another poster said, Linden had a broken nose and broken ribs but still managed to score 2 goals the next game. AND...if someone attacked my brother there is no way in hell would I stand there and do absolutely NOTHING. That has got to be hard to witness if that was my team and I was one of their team mates and I was to look up to them, But I guess they are the Sedins and they can do what ever they want.

There's a big difference between saying they're not your favorite players and saying they're the main reason we lost.

6 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

You mean....with Keith, Seabrook, Sharp, Hossa....nothing "personal" about it. 

How many times were we actually an equally or even more deep team ourselves though? Many of those years. Their players, especially their leaders, got it done. Our players, especially our leaders, didn't get it done.

When you get whiny and frustrated because Dave Bolland is getting the better of you, or even Michael Ferland, that is sad.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

How many times were we actually an equally or even more deep team ourselves though? Many of those years. Their players, especially their leaders, got it done. Our players, especially our leaders, didn't get it done.

When you get whiny and frustrated because Dave Bolland is getting the better of you, or even Michael Ferland, that is sad.

Now that is the definition of homerism.  In no way whatsoever were we ever even close to being as loaded with good players as the Hawks.  Yikes man.  I like Burrows and Hansen, but I would take Sharp, Brouwer, Ladd, Byfuglien in a pinch.

1 minute ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Is their crime not being Toews and Crosby?  Cause I don't think even Apollo thinks they are or should be

They are not guilty of anything.  They just are who they are and I appreciate what that is.  The fact is, their style relies more heavily on others to make up for their shortfalls (speed, push back, energy) than other "leaders".  Top leaders generally set the standard and the tone and hold their teammates accountable to follow that example.  The Nucks team toughness and ability to elevate their game in the playoffs has always been an issue. Perhaps it is no coincidence with captains who play the same, calculated, non-physical and non-emotional style of hockey regardless of the situation that the twins do.  Did you see Crosby go after McDonaugh the other night and throw punches?  He shouldn't have to but boy do his teammates respect their captain for doing that. The twins, take abuse -often over the top abuse - and do nothing.  How demoralizing is that?  Some poor bugger on the bench (Dorsett, Prust) then has to go out and pick a fight to send a message and risk getting his face smashed. 

I have talked to a lot of former players about their take on that finals series and most of them point to Daniel Sedin and the entire team letting him get speed bagged by Marchand as a deflating and defining moment for the entire Canucks team. One former star player told me it was the most embarrassing thing he had ever seen from a team leader in the NHL. I know they were playing for the PP at all times (and it had worked for them up to that series) but even when they did get a PP they could not do anything with it unfortunately.

I don't think it's fair to pin it all on the Sedins. But if you want to be the go-to guys you have to be able to raise your game when push comes to shove.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I have talked to a lot of former players about their take on that finals series and most of them point to Daniel Sedin and the entire team letting him get speed bagged by Marchand as a deflating and defining moment for the entire Canucks team. One former star player told me it was the most embarrassing thing he had ever seen from a team leader in the NHL. I know they were playing for the PP at all times (and it had worked for them up to that series) but even when they did get a PP they could not do anything with it unfortunately.

I don't think it's fair to pin it all on the Sedins. But if you want to be the go-to guys you have to be able to raise your game when push comes to shove.

You are correct we cannot put the entire blame on them but what made it hard to watch was that before that, I watched them basically score at will and even more so on PP's. But, in that final series, I kept waiting for them to score because I had seen it so many time before but it just never happened.

9 hours ago, Mattrek said:

1 game does not a trend make. Especially if the game is against the last place team in the league with a goalie that decided to $&!# the bed. Yes, it's a positive sign, but let's not pop the champagne yet. If this starts to happen against teams like the Canadiens or Blackhawks consistently then I'll be on board.

What about the the 3-1-1 record ? 

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That was the low point of the series. I'm pretty confident that this next core won't have players looking at the refs for help, and will instead lay a beatdown on any rats.

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That was the low point of the series. I'm pretty confident that this next core won't have players looking at the refs for help, and will instead lay a beatdown on any rats.

I can actually understand why they were doing that. I can see Daniels logic and I do honestly believe he was doing what he thought was best for the team. I don't question the motive, just the outcome. I do willingly admit the Sedins were kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't in those situations.

After that shameful display of reffing bias though, I would have come at it from a completely different angle. I would have said f this noise and started being chippy right back, even the Sedins. Easy to say in hindsight I know. But even if we lost the series we would have won back some self respect. 

I cant see Horvat or Gudbranson etc. putting up with that kind of crap under any circumstances. And that's a good thing. 

23 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

They are not guilty of anything.  They just are who they are and I appreciate what that is.  The fact is, their style relies more heavily on others to make up for their shortfalls (speed, push back, energy) than other "leaders".  Top leaders generally set the standard and the tone and hold their teammates accountable to follow that example.  The Nucks team toughness and ability to elevate their game in the playoffs has always been an issue. Perhaps it is no coincidence with captains who play the same, calculated, non-physical and non-emotional style of hockey regardless of the situation that the twins do.  Did you see Crosby go after McDonaugh the other night and throw punches?  He shouldn't have to but boy do his teammates respect their captain for doing that. The twins, take abuse -often over the top abuse - and do nothing.  How demoralizing is that?  Some poor bugger on the bench (Dorsett, Prust) then has to go out and pick a fight to send a message and risk getting his face smashed. 

So how many "leaders" are there in the league?  And do they all do their own fighting like Crosby?

24 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If we had scored on the PP after that, things might be remembered differently.

19 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You are correct we cannot put the entire blame on them but what made it hard to watch was that before that, I watched them basically score at will and even more so on PP's. But, in that final series, I kept waiting for them to score because I had seen it so many time before but it just never happened.

They never got on the PP?  That's what I remember too.  The Bruins had one of the worst PP's in the league.  The rule changes worked out great for them.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Since I view this as a development season I loved the fact that Edler and the Twins TOI was where it should be. Edler 22 minutes and the Twins at 18 minutes. As mentioned one or two games is not a season and the ups and downs will continue. Hanson was the Canucks best forward prior to his injury and Sutter is doing well. To me this season was whether Horvat and Baer could produce over a full season rather than a simple spring surge. Horvat is showing that he can but Baer not so much. We'll see.  

I've looked at each of Bennings seasons as development seasons to some degree. I expected year 3 to be the gap season. More veterans gone with little to nothing on the farm as replacements. Next year is when we'll start seeing more of Bennings picks here and on the farm. Plus we'll lose a few more big veteran contracts. Next year will be the transition season where youth really begins to take over.

One scenario I see happening at the end of this season is trading Tanev for a quality young winger. The trade partner being a team deep on young forward talent they can't protect from the expansion draft but shallow on the D worth protecting. On the other hand I may be dreaming of the perfect setup. lol

Archived