The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Recall F Alexandre Grenier

Odd.

46 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not overly excited about guys like Megna, Grenier, Skille, Labate, etc. I would rather see Virtanen with a chance at a bigger offensive role than filling it with guys like that. But I can understand Desjardins doesn't want him in that spot right now so it is better to get him playing in the AHL.

I work with a guy who's a part time scout for junior prospects and has some inside information on Virtanen.  He says he doubts Virtanen will become a significant player for the Canucks.  He seems to have an entitlement problem as exemplified by his public complaint about ice time.  My friend says you don't do that as a rookie, it's a sign of being a whiner.  But you never know, maybe it's like that kid who plays for Tampa, perhaps he'll just break out if given the time.  The problem is, he won't be given the ice time if he doesn't earn it.  Hopefully his family and friends will tell him to learn to be quiet and bust his butt to earn another shot at the bigs. Everyone makes mistakes.

Just wish the Canucks trainers and coaches had found a way to motivate Emerson Etem to keep up last year's play.  :(

He had a lot more potential than most of the players in Utica, last year he was playing better than any of this year's fourth liners.

I guess you have to blame him for his performance, but somehow there was a failure in the coaching staff.

Last year's Etem would have made a big difference to this years fourth line.

The game hasn't even started and I'm already questioning Willie's decisions. As well as Megna has played why in gods name is he playing with Burrows and Horvat? Megna is not at the skill level to compete with these guys. Eriksson should be there. Why can't Willie make smart deployment decisions? It drives me crazy.

14 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Just wish the Canucks trainers and coaches had found a way to motivate Emerson Etem to keep up last year's play.  :(

He had a lot more potential than most of the players in Utica, last year he was playing better than any of this year's fourth liners.

I guess you have to blame him for his performance, but somehow there was a failure in the coaching staff.

Last year's Etem would have made a big difference to this years fourth line.

The whole Etem thing sucks, it's not Jensen's doing anything, but still.

I watched an interview with Etem over the summer and he acted like he was putting the time in and really wanted to make a name for himself. Then to come out in preseason and drag his butt around on the ice, super disappointing.

He showed drive and determination at the end of last season. He wasn't really getting rewarded for his effort on the score sheet, but he was givin'r, then fully ghosted preseason.

It's too bad he didn't clear waivers for us, we could use him now, over Grenier especially.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Gaunce has been pretty consistent defensively though. Can't really expect much production out of him with his linemates and deployment.

Gaunce is responsible and playing okay but Chaput has been more noticeable and in a good way.  There's lots of competition for those 4th line minutes.

29 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

The game hasn't even started and I'm already questioning Willie's decisions. As well as Megna has played why in gods name is he playing with Burrows and Horvat? Megna is not at the skill level to compete with these guys. Eriksson should be there. Why can't Willie make smart deployment decisions? It drives me crazy.

I take it back, good on you Willie for realizing your mistake. I've been hard on you, but will give credit when credit's due. Good line up choice.

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff  2h2 hours ago

#Canucks forwards tonight:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Eriksson-Horvat-Burrows

Utica-Utica-Granlund

Utica-Gaunce-Utica

Edited 7 minutes ago by Mackcanuck

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Grenier could have a job in the NHL but for one key thing -- consistency.  He's been a slow developer, but hopefully continues to make progress.

It sure would be nice to add a scoring 6'5" 213 pound forward to the group.  If he and Pedan could get their act together at the NHL level, we could better match up against the Cali teams.

6 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

I take it back, good on you Willie for realizing your mistake. I've been hard on you, but will give credit when credit's due. Good line up choice.

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff  2h2 hours ago

#Canucks forwards tonight:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Eriksson-Horvat-Burrows

Utica-Utica-Granlund

Utica-Gaunce-Utica

Edited 7 minutes ago by Mackcanuck
  •  

Paterson just admitted that he has no clue and just tweeted this: "haven't seen line combos yet. Won't be surprised if Utica is plugged on LW with 53-14 and Utica plays with 60-21"

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

And he's been getting more minutes for the most part recently. He was getting more in the 15-17 range and is now generally getting 17-20. I expect that trend will continue.

I think Bo's offensive zone opportunities are to a good extent, limited by the Sedins defensive zone play more so than anything else.  He has earned more o zone opportunity and minutes but it's not as if the Sedins can pick up the defensive responsibilities Bo currently take on. 

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

I think Bo's offensive zone opportunities are to a good extent, limited by the Sedins defensive zone play more so than anything else.  He has earned more o zone opportunity and minutes but it's not as if the Sedins can pick up the defensive responsibilities Bo currently take on. 

It's also exactly how he should be playing. 

21 minutes ago, luckylager said:

The whole Etem thing sucks, it's not Jensen's doing anything, but still.

I watched an interview with Etem over the summer and he acted like he was putting the time in and really wanted to make a name for himself. Then to come out in preseason and drag his butt around on the ice, super disappointing.

He showed drive and determination at the end of last season. He wasn't really getting rewarded for his effort on the score sheet, but he was givin'r, then fully ghosted preseason.

It's too bad he didn't clear waivers for us, we could use him now, over Grenier especially.

get over etem already

he had a lousy training camp and preseason

he was waived

he was picked up by anaheim

and waived again

(and the rangers also gave up on the guy before he was a canuck)

i really do not know what you see in the guy

he clearly has or had potential. .but equally as clearly . is not able to reach it

close the book on him already

he needs another year or more in the ahl

but i suspect his chance at playing in the nhl is done

he likely will end up in europe somewhere

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I've gone to quite a few live Comets games and I really like Grenier! Love to see the big boy get a legit shot before being cast away forever. Consistent point producer for many years on the farm. 

Does he use his size like a power forward or is he more passive ?

26 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

get over etem already

he had a lousy training camp and preseason

he was waived

he was picked up by anaheim

and waived again

(and the rangers also gave up on the guy before he was a canuck)

i really do not know what you see in the guy

he clearly has or had potential. .but equally as clearly . is not able to reach it

close the book on him already

he needs another year or more in the ahl

but i suspect his chance at playing in the nhl is done

he likely will end up in europe somewhere

Plus Etem is injured (undisclosed but he's been out for some time) and has only played one game with the AHL Gulls (and three for the Ducks) this season.

Archived