The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which team is getting screwed the most...

canuck204

4 hours ago, canuck204 said:

With the expansion draft this summer?

I don't totally agree that an expansion team gets to poach players off teams that put work into having a deep roster. If you want a new team you should expect to suck for a few years. Help me not be so butthurt about this. lol

ENLIGHTEN ME

Why is there an expansion draft? Because they are paying hundreds of millions of dollars in an "Expansion fee" AKA a payoff to have the right to join the league.... The owners are going to each get about 15 million in "Expansion fees" which is essentially a payoff for the right to have a more competitive team from the get go... Why? Because starting a new team, in what is therefore a non-traditional hockey market, generally won't go so well if your team sucks.

On November 25, 2016 at 4:50 PM, NEON.KNEE said:

We most likely lose Granlund...That's who I would take if I was Vegas GM

I'd take Sbisa or Granlund. But it would be great if McPhee takes the great all around Derek Dorsett off our hands. Signing Burrows would be a good move if the price is right too. I think the Golden Knights will ice a decent team next year. Could be in a dogfight for 25th overall with us, Yotes, Isles, Blue Jackets and Flames

On 11/25/2016 at 1:57 PM, Master Mind said:

Probably Tampa, since they have Bishop and Vasilevskiy. But even if they trade one of their goalies, they'd still have to give up a quality forward with both Callahan and FIlppula eating up protection spots.

Chicago gets off the lightest (what a surprise), since Panarin is exempt despite being in his mid 20's...

End of the season, they are most likely not going to re-sign Bishop. Not because of expansion rules (it does play into it however) but because they need the cap space to re-sign Johnson, Palat, Drouin, Sustr, Koekkoek, and Nesterov. Likely one of these players would, their rights would be traded during re-sign stage as I doubt they can afford to protect all of these players and don't want to lose him for nothing.

Losing Bishop's 6M and Boyle's 2M cap space gives them enough to re-sign at least two of the mentioned above. Drouin likely getting around 3-4m on a bridge deal and the other will be having to take a hometown discount. Leaving the rest exposed to RFA/free agency.

On 11/25/2016 at 3:40 PM, coastal.view said:

oh really ... poaching ??

and what should an expansion team that pays 500 million entry fee.. of which each team will get 15 million or so.. get for their money? nothing?

all teams lose 1 lesser player to the expansion team and are paid 15 million dollars compensation

the teams are taking the expansion team to the cleaners

Cool man thanks for the info, was not aware that each team got 15 million for their trouble, but for sureeeeeee let up on the bitchy attitude if you read my post I am admitting ignorance and am clearly asking for enlightenment. 

This expansion draft is far more favourable to Las Vegas than previous expansion drafts were.

Teams are able to protect 1 goalie, 3 D, and 7 F or 8 position players and 1 goalie. That leaves some decent if middle of the road players unprotected.

Check out the garbage Columbus and Minnesota, got to choose from.

"26 of the 28 teams existing in the league at the time of the draft were each allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards."

Essentially the got 4th line players and press box D

I'd say Columbus.

They haven't been a contender.

They haven't been spood fed lottery picks.

And they stand to lose imo one of the best players in the expansion draft.

Sergei Bobrovsky
David Clarkson
Brandon Dubinsky
Nick Foligno
Scott Hartnell

All have to be protected.

Relatively speaking I'd say Columbus might be the most adversely effected team.

They'll either have to lose a very good player - forward or blueliner - or get cracking taking some losses elsewhere in order to move a contract or two....

On 2016-11-28 at 7:52 AM, canuck204 said:

Cool man thanks for the info, was not aware that each team got 15 million for their trouble, but for sureeeeeee let up on the bitchy attitude if you read my post I am admitting ignorance and am clearly asking for enlightenment. 

give it a rest

you use language like poaching

and you expect me to be mr nice guy responding

you are getting what you give

4 Teams

Ducks

Bieska has a NMC, meaning that only leaves room for 2 other defense to be protected.  Who do they lose.  Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen

Penguins

Fleury has a NMC, currently that means good bye to the young Stanley cup winning Goalies Murray.

Blue Jacket

Simply have way too many NMC’s and will end up loosing young of their young players

Wild

Suter has a NMC,  Likely will loose one of Dumba, Brodin, Scandella

I'm assuming teams will try to offload prior to risk the loss but it things stay the same

Murray, Scandella, Fowler and Wennberg + (2017) top 5 pick is a good start. 

18 hours ago, coastal.view said:

give it a rest

you use language like poaching

and you expect me to be mr nice guy responding

you are getting what you give

Me not knowing teams got something out of this deal ($15million) I think the word poaching was a pretty accurate one. If you read my post and attempt to get a tone out of it you can easily see that I am being sarcastic. I bet you are the kind of person that requires emojis to tell what kind of "ok" you get from your girlfriend?

This guy - "Hey babe I made reservations tonight at our favorite restaurant, be ready by 6!"

Girl - "OK"

This guy - "Well we don't have to if you don't wanna... =(=(."

*girl remembers how needy this guy is*

Girl - "I do want to go out! :):):):)"

This guy - "Okay great! :):):):)"

RIP

Archived