The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Bo Horvat need a mentor and if so who do you go and get?

Noseforthenet

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

If he tops out as a 40-goal Selke winner, I won't be complaining.

Was thinking the same. If Horvat becomes a prime level Kesler in terms of his play, production, and on-ice effect, while maintaining his own personality, character traits, ethics/values/etc, I'd be absolutely thrilled with that result.

20 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Was thinking the same. If Horvat becomes a prime level Kesler in terms of his play, production, and on-ice effect, while maintaining his own personality, character traits, ethics/values/etc, I'd be absolutely thrilled with that result.

Here's my problem with that: it's a limited ceiling. You can't define Ryan Kesler as a 40 goal scorer. That is a career highlight, not the type of player he is. The player Ryan Kesler is, is a hard nosed elite 2nd line center. That's good, but I think Bo is going to wanna be better than that and he shouldn't be satisfied with being as good as the Ryan Kesler type. As an organization, this team should want him to be better than that!!! I certainly hope he is, because as of right now there are no other options in our pipeline who will come even close to being able to be our future 1st line center. He should be insulated with the best possible guidance the team can offer him and if that means finding another center who has been to that 1st line center level who plays the same sort of game or someone who played that sort of game who can come into the organization, I think it should be done.

Dude calm down, he hasn't even reached prime Kesler/Richards level yet and you're worried he might not be an elite HOFer. I'd love to see him become an elite player but his realistic ceiling is about a Kesler level player, which most people would be really happy with if he does reach that level.

No, he don't need a mentor. He develops his own style, a strong two way style with a terrible fast transition.

He needs to win more FO, that's why Malhotra is here.

Bo and Bart need a fast, two way right wing with skill and grit, who attacks the net regularly and and is a natural born scorer with a good shot. Hope Roedin can fill in.

Tavares is a great Center, but his style is to different for mentoring to how Bo plays. But if Vancouver could land him, man, this would a frightening 1C - 2C combination.

28 minutes ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

Now its clear that you are the internet douchebag that i thought you were. Thanks for the spelling help.

This is the only internet web forum you've been on clearly.

Anyways, doesn't make any difference to what I said. People want everything to happen in this 'rebuild' to happen now and forget that these things take time. Sorry you don't like that but its evident in the newspapers, this forum and just about anywhere people talk hockey in this city.

We don't need to go out and get a mentor for Bo 'to get to the next level'.  Bo and our other young prospects have great mentors on the team already in the Sedins.  People devalue them as they get older and forget what they've done both on and off the ice.  They've won THE major awards between them: the Art Ross, Hart, King Clancy (for leadership), and the Lindsay.  They're the top 2 in career points with the Canucks.  They exemplify character, sportsmanship, effort, and dedication to fitness... all the things that should be passed on to young players.  

Then there's Burrows and Hansen.  How could they not inspire any young player with what they've accomplished without an elite skill set?  The Sedins, Burrows, and Hansen are more than enough mentoring for our young prospects.  They may not have the same style of play as Bo's, but they are smart players who could advise Bo on how to play with HIS skill set and physical makeup.  Besides, the gifted players usually find that out on their own with experience.  It's in the natural evolution of a player.  Bo is right on track to be a really special player.  He just needs to be surrounded with the right role models .... and he is!

Archived