The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Bo Horvat need a mentor and if so who do you go and get?

Noseforthenet

16 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

We don't need to go out and get a mentor for Bo 'to get to the next level'.  Bo and our other young prospects have great mentors on the team already in the Sedins.  People devalue them as they get older and forget what they've done both on and off the ice.  They've won THE major awards between them: the Art Ross, Hart, King Clancy (for leadership), and the Lindsay.  They're the top 2 in career points with the Canucks.  They exemplify character, sportsmanship, effort, and dedication to fitness... all the things that should be passed on to young players.  

Then there's Burrows and Hansen.  How could they not inspire any young player with what they've accomplished without an elite skill set?  The Sedins, Burrows, and Hansen are more than enough mentoring for our young prospects.  They may not have the same style of play as Bo's, but they are smart players who could advise Bo on how to play with HIS skill set and physical makeup.  Besides, the gifted players usually find that out on their own with experience.  It's in the natural evolution of a player.  Bo is right on track to be a really special player.  He just needs to be surrounded with the right role models .... and he is!

Well said. The problem is that this city's fanbase is like the ugly guy who dates the really, really hot girl and doesn't realize what he has until she dumps him. We love our stars in the good times, can't stand them in the bad times and then they leave and we're all like 'baby, please come back'.

13 hours ago, xereau said:

I would target John Tavares, but he is going to cost.. A LOT this summer.

He is probably the best center in the league that gets the least press.

Snow would be fired instantly if he ever traded Tavares away. Tavares is the Islanders franchise player and you don't just trade away a franchise player for nothing. Be prepared to give up at least 2 first round picks, two of Boeser, Demko, Juolevi, Sutter, Tryamkin, or Stecher and maybe even more and that won't be enough.

Besides, he gets the least press because he plays for a team nobody really talks about or likes to talk about. Especially this season when they're not doing so well

I think Bo can be a mentor himself to many young guys who wants to make the team in the upcoming future. He set such a good example and works hard to defy the odds that said he can't be a No.1 center but he is work his way towards the No.1 role, and it is great for other prospects who steps into the organization to model after him. To me, I think Bo needs an elite winger on his side to form a deadly scoring combo. Since second half of last season, Bo Horvat is putting up similar numbers as Sean Monahan in Calgary. Monahan gets to play with Gaudreau (he is injured now, and Monahan's scoring has struggled since Gaudreau's injury) and at the same time Bo is scoring at a similar rate while only playing with Baertchi, Etem, Burrows and Dorsett (at different times). I can't wait to see what Bo Horvat can do with a talented winger who can score and make plays at an elite level.

4 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I think Bo can be a mentor himself to many young guys who wants to make the team in the upcoming future. He set such a good example and works hard to defy the odds that said he can't be a No.1 center but he is work his way towards the No.1 role, and it is great for other prospects who steps into the organization to model after him. To me, I think Bo needs an elite winger on his side to form a deadly scoring combo. Since second half of last season, Bo Horvat is putting up similar numbers as Sean Monahan in Calgary. Monahan gets to play with Gaudreau (he is injured now, and Monahan's scoring has struggled since Gaudreau's injury) and at the same time Bo is scoring at a similar rate while only playing with Baertchi, Etem, Burrows and Dorsett (at different times). I can't wait to see what Bo Horvat can do with a talented winger who can score and make plays at an elite level.

Bo needs a winger ala P. Kane, who is an ELITE playmaker.  

We agree BIG TIME.  our games, even now, are mostly very close.  A Goudreau, or P. Kane Elite playmaker would make us a playoff team.  That's why I really feel JB needs to trade Tanev for an Elite prospect.  Not one who is ready this season, but one who will be ready next season.  Then we get that elite prospect to play with Bo next season, while still drafting top five this coming June.  

12 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Here's my problem with that: it's a limited ceiling. You can't define Ryan Kesler as a 40 goal scorer. That is a career highlight, not the type of player he is. The player Ryan Kesler is, is a hard nosed elite 2nd line center. That's good, but I think Bo is going to wanna be better than that and he shouldn't be satisfied with being as good as the Ryan Kesler type. As an organization, this team should want him to be better than that!!! I certainly hope he is, because as of right now there are no other options in our pipeline who will come even close to being able to be our future 1st line center. He should be insulated with the best possible guidance the team can offer him and if that means finding another center who has been to that 1st line center level who plays the same sort of game or someone who played that sort of game who can come into the organization, I think it should be done.

What the heck are you talking about need another first line centre that plays the same game to mentor Bo, who the f#$k are you gonna get toews? theres not many in the league and i dont think we need another has been. We need to surround Bo with good linemates a good team not Evander Kane types, hard working players like him Batchshi another hard worker who will only get better because of it. HARD WORK PAYS OFF just ask the SEDEN's there's no better mentors they've had a long sucessful career because of hard work and Bo works hard and has what Kesler never, a good aditude.HE's not even thinking about Kesler trying to be Kesler he's BO Horvat and he's gonna be the best he can be. Sorry what a rant lol

13 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Here's my problem with that: it's a limited ceiling. You can't define Ryan Kesler as a 40 goal scorer. That is a career highlight, not the type of player he is. The player Ryan Kesler is, is a hard nosed elite 2nd line center. That's good, but I think Bo is going to wanna be better than that and he shouldn't be satisfied with being as good as the Ryan Kesler type. As an organization, this team should want him to be better than that!!! I certainly hope he is, because as of right now there are no other options in our pipeline who will come even close to being able to be our future 1st line center. He should be insulated with the best possible guidance the team can offer him and if that means finding another center who has been to that 1st line center level who plays the same sort of game or someone who played that sort of game who can come into the organization, I think it should be done.

So we need to acquire an active player who's either a current or former 1st line centre and one who plays or played the game at a level and style that matches the ceiling for Bo Horvat? Easier said than done.

If that guy is still producing, he's gonna cost a ton of money (and we don't have the cap space for that). If he isn't, he's gonna take a lineup spot away from one of our young players. And regardless, he's going to need to slot in somewhere.

And then there's the cost of acquisition. Unless it's a UFA signing (which likely becomes cap prohibitive), a player of that ilk is going to command a premium on the trade market. It would be bad enough to spend assets on a veteran. But doing it just for mentorship? I can't see that going over well when we're trying to rebuild.

I actually think our mentorship corps runs pretty deep already. Henrik and Sutter provide good on-ice leadership at the centre position (even with Sutter on wing, he's still a natural centre). And between Linden, Malhotra, and Jarvis, Horvat has plenty of good formers players who've excelled at various aspects of the centre position. I don't think we need to acquire another mentor for Horvat.

EDIT: of course I wouldn't be against acquiring (assuming the cap and acquisition cost were acceptable) a high end centre entering his prime with the production level to replace Henrik. Even better if he's a solid two way player, has strong rush ability, and can play a heavy game. That guy could certainly help Horvat on the mentorship side of things. But that would be secondary to how much he would accelerate the rebuild (which is where I'd be focused).

38 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Snow would be fired instantly if he ever traded Tavares away. Tavares is the Islanders franchise player and you don't just trade away a franchise player for nothing. Be prepared to give up at least 2 first round picks, two of Boeser, Demko, Juolevi, Sutter, Tryamkin, or Stecher and maybe even more and that won't be enough.

Besides, he gets the least press because he plays for a team nobody really talks about or likes to talk about. Especially this season when they're not doing so well

I don't think you understand what situation Tavares is in this summer.

Henrik and Daniel not good enough mentors?

As was mentioned, Bo is his own mentor. That's what's so special about this kid, he's self sufficient. Only thing Bo could need is an even more skilled winger to play with, like he had with Max Domi in London.

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So we need to acquire an active player who's either a current or former 1st line centre and one who plays or played the game at a level and style that matches the ceiling for Bo Horvat? Easier said than done.

If that guy is still producing, he's gonna cost a ton of money (and we don't have the cap space for that). If he isn't, he's gonna take a lineup spot away from one of our young players. And regardless, he's going to need to slot in somewhere.

And then there's the cost of acquisition. Unless it's a UFA signing (which likely becomes cap prohibitive), a player of that ilk is going to command a premium on the trade market. It would be bad enough to spend assets on a veteran. But doing it just for mentorship? I can't see that going over well when we're trying to rebuild.

I actually think our mentorship corps runs pretty deep already. Henrik and Sutter provide good on-ice leadership at the centre position (even with Sutter on wing, he's still a natural centre). And between Linden, Malhotra, and Jarvis, Horvat has plenty of good formers players who've excelled at various aspects of the centre position. I don't think we need to acquire another mentor for Horvat.

EDIT: of course I wouldn't be against acquiring (assuming the cap and acquisition cost were acceptable) a high end centre entering his prime with the production level to replace Henrik. Even better if he's a solid two way player, has strong rush ability, and can play a heavy game. That guy could certainly help Horvat on the mentorship side of things. But that would be secondary to how much he would accelerate the rebuild (which is where I'd be focused).

I never said we need to. I said we should be trying to. Or at least that's what I meant. I know it isn't easy to get a guy like that. Especially one who is currently playing. Somebody who is retired would be good IF we could find one. I just want Bo to have all the positive influence he can get because at this point, he is the future of the franchise and I don't want him turning out just as good as a Ryan Kesler type player.

On 25/11/2016 at 8:01 PM, Noseforthenet said:

So yeah, I was thinking about this today. We all know the type of game Bo Horvat plays and so far we are getting a good idea of what he can be capable of. My question is: does he need a mentor to get him to that next level? I don't think we want him to top out at Ryan Kesler level or Mike Richards when he was good. They are and were good players, but I think Bo has more potential. Is there someone we can get to help him grow to be that awesome player, like when Sundin helped the Sedins get to that next level, but someone who plays the same sort of game?

BO HORVAT IS THE  MENTOR!!!

:canucks::shock::canucks:

12 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

We don't need to go out and get a mentor for Bo 'to get to the next level'.  Bo and our other young prospects have great mentors on the team already in the Sedins.  People devalue them as they get older and forget what they've done both on and off the ice.  They've won THE major awards between them: the Art Ross, Hart, King Clancy (for leadership), and the Lindsay.  They're the top 2 in career points with the Canucks.  They exemplify character, sportsmanship, effort, and dedication to fitness... all the things that should be passed on to young players.  

Then there's Burrows and Hansen.  How could they not inspire any young player with what they've accomplished without an elite skill set?  The Sedins, Burrows, and Hansen are more than enough mentoring for our young prospects.  They may not have the same style of play as Bo's, but they are smart players who could advise Bo on how to play with HIS skill set and physical makeup.  Besides, the gifted players usually find that out on their own with experience.  It's in the natural evolution of a player.  Bo is right on track to be a really special player.  He just needs to be surrounded with the right role models .... and he is!

^^^^^^^^ What he said.

Archived