The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report]Biega sent to Utica, Conditioning Stint

Mackcanuck

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why didn't they send Larsen down, and play Biega?  Get him to 18 games, then plant him in the press box.

I think it's probably because management still thinks we can make the playoffs, so they're trying to ice the best possible lineup each night.

I think I'd rather Sbisa be the guy taken in the draft personally.

20 minutes ago, Incursio said:

I think it's probably because management still thinks we can make the playoffs, so they're trying to ice the best possible lineup each night.

I think I'd rather Sbisa be the guy taken in the draft personally.

Why? Sbisa has more value than Biega IMO..

16 minutes ago, Incursio said:

Because of his cap hit.

If needed, can just shed his cap hit for a 5th round pick (as an example - I think he is worth more but no point getting into that), rather than losing him for nothing..

4 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

They could just leave Edler unprotected. Might be the best thing.

Have to automatically protect all players with NMC. 

1 hour ago, 'NucK™ said:

If needed, can just shed his cap hit for a 5th round pick (as an example - I think he is worth more but no point getting into that), rather than losing him for nothing..

Edler only has a NTC, not a NMC.

2 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

Edler doesn't have a NMC, he has a NTC .

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why didn't they send Larsen down, and play Biega?  Get him to 18 games, then plant him in the press box.

I suspect they did not want to risk losing Larsen through a waiver claim as he may not have qualified for a conditioning assignment. The Canucks likely want to keep all of their options open in terms of what they are going to do with their d-corp between now and the expansion draft. If they are looking to trade Edler or Tanev they will then likely want to protect Sbisa. That being the case, they would either need to get Biega his 18 games or somehow obtain another d-man that would meet the expansion draft criteria. Sending Biega down on a conditioning stint may indicate that the Canucks intend to get him into some games on his return.

Archived