The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nov 25th - Benning on tsn1040 (helping this team be competitive is the fun part of my job)

Rush17

Worth a listen too!

https://m.soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-vancouver/benning-helping-canucks-be-competitive-is-the-fun-part-of-my-job

believe this is newer then the one on hutty and bo's contracts.  believe it's a new one though recorded before last night's game!

//////////////////////////////

- talks on greiner being called up before Jake. 

- briefly touches on Boeser and Juolevi.

- talks on hutty new deal.

- talks about bit more on Bo's next contract.

- talks about bit on new potential ot shootout proposal.

- plus some other stuff.

if it doesn't pop up as a click here option please repost on cell not sure if it transfers right being a mobile link. 

I like this interview. Benning sounded much more relaxed. The team playing better lately has certainly given him a bit of a reprieve.

A bit of a contradiction regarding the reasons for getting an extension done now with Hutton (so he can just play and not worry about it) but the hesitation on getting Bo's done (want to let him play for awhile). Kind of a wtf moment there. 

I suspect Bo's is a bit tougher though because they are likely looking at the possibility of something longer term in addition to the possibility of a bridge deal. Lots of decisions to make on what to do there.

This is already quickly becoming Bo's team. When veteran guys are talking about his leadership it might be a good time to put an A on his jersey sooner rather than later. 

Home games: C Henrik, A Daniel, A Horvat

Road games: C Henrik, A Daniel, A Burrows

Burtows with an A is not only deserved but awesome for trolling teams in their own barn because they hate him haha.

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

Don Taylor's competence as a broadcaster we can agree on... 

But jimbos as gm... Not so much =) 

The frustrating thing with Benning is the moves he doesn't make more than the ones he does. Not trading UFA players is so out of sync with the overall plan for example.

I know people point to ntc etc but it's funny how this doesn't seem to always stop other teams. 

Hamhuis should have been prepped way earlier about a potential move. That should have been a discussion in the summer before as a likely possibility at the deadline. He is a vet and would understand completely the need to have that conversation. It would have given him much more time to prepare for it and given Benning more time to find a deal rather than seek Hamhuis approval every step of the way. That slowed the process and is likely the reason it didn't get done. I don't buy that the Stars chose Russell. I think they chose Russell because they couldn't get a deal done that Benning would accept. Benning waffled on whether he wanted to re-sign him and it cost us a lot.

Same with Vrbata, they had nothing but leverage. As soon as he started whining about not playing with the Sedins they could have easily pressured him to accept a move or get press box treatment (which his play certainly could have warranted) in a contract year. I mean, they could have told him he was never getting back with the Sedins either way. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. He wasn't earning anything and whining about it. They also could have said they would play him more with the Sedins until the deadline if he accepted a deal.

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The frustrating thing with Benning is the moves he doesn't make more than the ones he does. Not trading UFA players is so out of sync with the overall plan for example.

I know people point to ntc etc but it's funny how this doesn't seem to always stop other teams. 

Hamhuis should have been prepped way earlier about a potential move. That should have been a discussion in the summer before as a likely possibility at the deadline. He is a vet and would understand completely the need to have that conversation. It would have given him much more time to prepare for it and given Benning more time to find a deal rather than seek Hamhuis approval every step of the way. That slowed the process and is likely the reason it didn't get done. I don't buy that the Stars chose Russell. I think they chose Russell because they couldn't get a deal done that Benning would accept. Benning waffled on whether he wanted to re-sign him and it cost us a lot.

Same with Vrbata, they had nothing but leverage. As soon as he started whining about not playing with the Sedins they could have easily pressured him to accept a move or get press box treatment (which his play certainly could have warranted) in a contract year. I mean, they could have told him he was never getting back with the Sedins either way. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. He wasn't earning anything and whining about it. They also could have said they would play him more with the Sedins until the deadline if he accepted a deal.

Garrison also had a NTC and said he didn't want to leave just before he got traded.

19 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

If this is what he considers to be competitive and fun then he must be a sado-masochist.

Actually it's the drafting and player development part that he considers fun.  The quote was 'the fun part is drafting, developing players and watching them grow in front of our eyes and we've seen that with the Huttons, Horvat, Baertschi, Markstroms.  The fun part is getting these guys were they need to be helping the team be competitive and win at some point.'

53 minutes ago, apollo said:

Don Taylor's competence as a broadcaster we can agree on... 

But jimbos as gm... Not so much =) 

You're all too tough on Jimbo around here... Let's see what he does with Burrows and Tanev this year.  I will reserve my judgement after that.

You have to remember that JB isn't Billy Idol and he can't dance by himself...He needs a partner, and I swear the rest of the league just loves giving it to the Canucks.

41 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

wow i find again your belief that you are a mind reader amazing

i doubt the accuracy of your view of what you say benning is thinking

Archived