The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nov 25th - Benning on tsn1040 (helping this team be competitive is the fun part of my job)

Rush17

1 minute ago, NEON.KNEE said:

You're all too tough on Jimbo around here... Let's see what he does with Burrows and Tanev this year.  I will reserve my judgement after that.

You have to remember that JB isn't Billy Idol and he can't dance by himself...He needs a partner, and I swear the rest of the league just loves giving it to the Canucks.

Don't forget the many rumours of our owner butting in.

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

wow i find again your belief that you are a mind reader amazing

i doubt the accuracy of your view of what you say benning is thinking

I wasn't saying what Benning was or wasn't thinking. I was giving my opinion on how he should have approached it. Maybe he do some of these things, who knows?

59 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

True. I think in both Hanhuis and Vrbata cases it was that Benning wanted to hang onto them hoping for the playoffs. A critical mistake.

Certainly the way they handled Hamhuis was a mistake. They waited far too late in approaching Dan, preparing him mentally for the possibility of a move, and securing a list of teams he'd waive for.

People like to blame Hamhuis for taking too long to make up his mind, but there were about two weeks where Hamhuis kept getting asked by reporters about trades and teams rumoured to be interested, and Dan kept saying JB hadn't spoken to him yet.

When the Canucks finally approached Hamhuis, things were moving rather quickly, and Hamhuis wasn't ready to make any commitments without taking a day or two to think about things and talk to his loved ones (as was certainly his right). 

So because Benning dithered too long on actually talking to Hamhuis, the Canucks ended up missing out on deals with some potential trading partners (like Chicago), simply because they hadn't started the process early enough to make a trade within the timeline those teams preferred (and so the Canucks were left behind as teams spent their prime assets on other deals with teams that were ready).

With Vrbata, a move wasn't really possible at the TDL. His wife was expecting a baby and was going through what was reported to be a high risk pregnancy. So Vrbata didn't want to leave town. He's admitted that because of the circumstances, he did everything short of outright blocking a trade. The team list he gave was basically designed to include the teams that were least likely to be interested in his services. 

“I don’t think I handcuffed them, but I knew what I was doing,” Vrbata said this week. “I could have given a lot more (options) and I would have moved.

“If I wanted to get traded, I would have been traded.”

However, Vrbata also said he would have welcomed a trade the previous summer. And since the Canucks basically knew they weren't putting Vrbata back with the twins (see the season exit interviews after the playoff loss to Calgary), it probably made sense to make the move at the 2015 Draft, as Vrbata himself has said:

“There would have been a lot more teams interested,” Vrbata said. “If they said, after last season, ‘You know what, next year, we’re going young. We have a 19-year-old centreman for you to play with.

“‘Do you want to do something else?’

“Then I think I would have jumped at — considered something different, even though last year was great.”

Source for quotes above: link 

42 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

wow i find again your belief that you are a mind reader amazing

i doubt the accuracy of your view of what you say benning is thinking

Even more amazing is his belief that Vrbata had any value at the TDL last year...

Just now, higgyfan said:

Even more amazing is his belief that Vrbata had any value at the TDL last year...

Weren't both TL and JB quoted saying it was real hard (impossible) to recoupe a second round pick?  I think it was before the 2015 draft, when all we got was a third for Lack.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Weren't both TL and JB quoted saying it was real hard (impossible) to recoupe a second round pick?  I think it was before the 2015 draft, when all we got was a third for Lack.  

Out of context, Alf.  I was commenting on a message that coastal.view had commented on.  Some guy whining that the management didn't get anything for Vrby at the deadline.  Ridiculous really.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

True. I think in both Hanhuis and Vrbata cases it was that Benning wanted to hang onto them hoping for the playoffs. A critical mistake.

Nope.  It has been repeated by many sources many times.....the return was not there.  You don't want to give away players just to get something.  It doesn't set a good precedent. 

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Nope.  It has been repeated by many sources many times.....the return was not there.  You don't want to give away players just to get something.  It doesn't set a good precedent. 

Right. Cause giving them away for nothing is much better that sets a better precedent.

When you are rebuilding you absolutely take trades for your pending UFA players that you aren't going to re-sign. The market pay's what it will. You work within that and get what you can.

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not sure how I missed it but I didn't realize about the pregnancy thing.

Yeah, it was a big deal. They kept it quiet (as is their right) but apparently it was another really difficult pregnancy that carried high risk. Their first pregnancy was very high risk (enough so that apparently the reason Vrbata left the NHL for most of 2008-09 was so he could go back to Czech and have family support during the pregnancy).

So I don't begrudge Vrbata for doing what was in his power to prevent a trade. 

Also have to wonder how much it affected him that season. The baby was due in May, so the pregnancy would have been basically the entire season. The Vrbatas had no family in town (or even in Canada) that they could lean on (although I'm sure the teammates and their wives were supportive). Nonetheless, I'm sure it made for many sleepless nights for Vrbata and a lot of days where hockey was the last thing on his mind.

Combine that with him getting booted off the Sedin line, Bonino (the other centre he had success with) getting traded, and the team shifting directions toward a younger lineup. Maybe his issues that season were less about "sulking" and "lack of character" and more about a player going through some legitimately difficult issues, on and off the ice.

3 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Letting it be known you won't be low balled just to get a minimal return?  Yes it does. 

Trades at the deadline are market driven. You don't try to highball when you have no leverage.

The return for Russell was a pretty realistic expectation for a few months of a UFA player like Hamhuis.

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, it was a big deal. They kept it quiet (as is their right) but apparently it was another really difficult pregnancy that carried high risk. Their first pregnancy was very high risk (enough so that apparently the reason Vrbata left the NHL for most of 2008-09 was so he could go back to Czech and have family support during the pregnancy).

So I don't begrudge Vrbata for doing what was in his power to prevent a trade. 

Also have to wonder how much it affected him that season. The baby was due in May, so the pregnancy would have been basically the entire season. The Vrbatas had no family in town (or even in Canada) that they could lean on (although I'm sure the teammates and their wives were supportive). Nonetheless, I'm sure it made for many sleepless nights for Vrbata and a lot of days where hockey was the last thing on his mind.

Combine that with him getting booted off the Sedin line, Bonino (the other centre he had success with) getting traded, and the team shifting directions toward a younger lineup. Maybe his issues that season were less about "sulking" and "lack of character" and more about a player going through some legitimately difficult issues, on and off the ice.

Fair comment. I was too heavy handed in my assessment of his reaction without properly factoring in his circumstances. Thanks Sid

1 hour ago, NEON.KNEE said:

You're all too tough on Jimbo around here... Let's see what he does with Burrows and Tanev this year.  I will reserve my judgement after that.

You have to remember that JB isn't Billy Idol and he can't dance by himself...He needs a partner, and I swear the rest of the league just loves giving it to the Canucks.

lol..hey lil' poster, look what you've done

Archived