The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nov 25th - Benning on tsn1040 (helping this team be competitive is the fun part of my job)

Rush17

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The frustrating thing with Benning is the moves he doesn't make more than the ones he does. Not trading UFA players is so out of sync with the overall plan for example.

I know people point to ntc etc but it's funny how this doesn't seem to always stop other teams. 

Hamhuis should have been prepped way earlier about a potential move. That should have been a discussion in the summer before as a likely possibility at the deadline. He is a vet and would understand completely the need to have that conversation. It would have given him much more time to prepare for it and given Benning more time to find a deal rather than seek Hamhuis approval every step of the way. That slowed the process and is likely the reason it didn't get done. I don't buy that the Stars chose Russell. I think they chose Russell because they couldn't get a deal done that Benning would accept. Benning waffled on whether he wanted to re-sign him and it cost us a lot.

Same with Vrbata, they had nothing but leverage. As soon as he started whining about not playing with the Sedins they could have easily pressured him to accept a move or get press box treatment (which his play certainly could have warranted) in a contract year. I mean, they could have told him he was never getting back with the Sedins either way. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. He wasn't earning anything and whining about it. They also could have said they would play him more with the Sedins until the deadline if he accepted a deal.

You can't sell something if people don't want to buy it. There are far more variables in trades that we simply don't know.

36 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Clearly both Hamhuis and Vrbata would have been tradable though. Chicago and Dallas both wanted Hamhuis. Vrbata apparently handcuffed the team though. 

Like I said, There is so much more that we don't know about what happened behind the scenes of trades that we are just speculating. NTCs and NMCs are the players rights as per contract and if they don't want to move their family and have every legal right to say so, then you can't hate on them for it. The commitment was made by the team just as much as it was the player.

Just now, BowtieCanuck said:

Like I said, There is so much more that we don't know about what happened behind the scenes of trades that we are just speculating. NTCs and NMCs are the players rights as per contract and if they don't want to move their family and have every legal right to say so, then you can't hate on them for it. The commitment was made by the team just as much as it was the player.

May as well just shut CDC down now if we are supposed to only post things we know for sure.

Just now, apollo said:

Look at the standings man... I'm frustrated the team I love isn't do well. 

Someone has to be fired. 

Ok let's look at this beyond the just emotional, and go with the logical.

1) Say Benning is fired, Linden resigns. 

2) That would not be done now, more likely the end of the season. 

3) Where does this help the Canucks even if he's fired now. Who is a great GM that you'd replace him with? I can't think of ANYONE. 

4) Even if you got Scotty Bowman. He would probably let WD go, then have a look at the team.

5) We have to wait a year to see who says, and who goes, so there's no real changes there.

6) We have another draft (That is Benning's strong suit, and we may or may not get decent picks, and it's too soon to tell.)

7) Even IF we drafted 1st overall. There is no guarantee, even if we drafted Patrick Nolan we'd have someone ready to play next year. 

So how does letting Benning go fix things? Answer. It doesn't. The only short term solution is to let WD go. 

We will have Boeser next year, which it's a long shot to make the team, but given our situation I wouldn't be surprised if he did and succeeded. 

Juolevi might make the club, more likely will be in the AHL. Our other prospects will try to make the team. 

Horvat gets better each year. The bottom line is not even Scotty Bowman can fix this club overnight. 

If I was ownership. I'd go on TSN and say Benning has full control to do what he thinks is best. That ownership will not interfere with him or Trevor. And that ownership understands it's not going to be quick fix. But we want a team with lots of depth, lots of youth, and speed, size, and skill. And ask the fanbase that's it understandable to have almost 50 years of frustration. But a little more patience, and build a winner that this city has been craving. 

18 minutes ago, apollo said:

Look at the standings man... I'm frustrated the team I love isn't do well. 

Someone has to be fired. 

They already were fired (MG).  It might be another year or three until we see the playoffs again.  Maybe more.  On the positive side, we're seeing 0.500ish hockey for a couple of weeks even with a lot of players out.  Tryamkin and Stecher are both looking real good.  Boeser, Demko, Juolevi, Lockwood in the pipe and should hit the ice in a year or two.  Our D is young, already pretty good and getting better.  Our goal tending is pretty solid.  Our top line is declining, but we have a solid middle six starting to gel and we might see a real change over the next couple of years.  Lots to be excited about, and in the meantime, it's not bad hockey to watch most nights.

edit to add: Rodin is coming into the line up soon.  Benning has the right idea about looking for NCAA talent and there are some very good undrafted forwards that are coming available after this season.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Certainly the way they handled Hamhuis was a mistake. They waited far too late in approaching Dan, preparing him mentally for the possibility of a move, and securing a list of teams he'd waive for.

People like to blame Hamhuis for taking too long to make up his mind, but there were about two weeks where Hamhuis kept getting asked by reporters about trades and teams rumoured to be interested, and Dan kept saying JB hadn't spoken to him yet.

When the Canucks finally approached Hamhuis, things were moving rather quickly, and Hamhuis wasn't ready to make any commitments without taking a day or two to think about things and talk to his loved ones (as was certainly his right). 

So because Benning dithered too long on actually talking to Hamhuis, the Canucks ended up missing out on deals with some potential trading partners (like Chicago), simply because they hadn't started the process early enough to make a trade within the timeline those teams preferred (and so the Canucks were left behind as teams spent their prime assets on other deals with teams that were ready).

With Vrbata, a move wasn't really possible at the TDL. His wife was expecting a baby and was going through what was reported to be a high risk pregnancy. So Vrbata didn't want to leave town. He's admitted that because of the circumstances, he did everything short of outright blocking a trade. The team list he gave was basically designed to include the teams that were least likely to be interested in his services. 

However, Vrbata also said he would have welcomed a trade the previous summer. And since the Canucks basically knew they weren't putting Vrbata back with the twins (see the season exit interviews after the playoff loss to Calgary), it probably made sense to make the move at the 2015 Draft, as Vrbata himself has said:

Source for quotes above: link 

Sid... I love how you always back up what you say with facts.  You are one poster that I will always read.  Thanks You.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Certainly the way they handled Hamhuis was a mistake. They waited far too late in approaching Dan, preparing him mentally for the possibility of a move, and securing a list of teams he'd waive for.

People like to blame Hamhuis for taking too long to make up his mind, but there were about two weeks where Hamhuis kept getting asked by reporters about trades and teams rumoured to be interested, and Dan kept saying JB hadn't spoken to him yet.

When the Canucks finally approached Hamhuis, things were moving rather quickly, and Hamhuis wasn't ready to make any commitments without taking a day or two to think about things and talk to his loved ones (as was certainly his right). 

So because Benning dithered too long on actually talking to Hamhuis, the Canucks ended up missing out on deals with some potential trading partners (like Chicago), simply because they hadn't started the process early enough to make a trade within the timeline those teams preferred (and so the Canucks were left behind as teams spent their prime assets on other deals with teams that were ready).

With Vrbata, a move wasn't really possible at the TDL. His wife was expecting a baby and was going through what was reported to be a high risk pregnancy. So Vrbata didn't want to leave town. He's admitted that because of the circumstances, he did everything short of outright blocking a trade. The team list he gave was basically designed to include the teams that were least likely to be interested in his services. 

However, Vrbata also said he would have welcomed a trade the previous summer. And since the Canucks basically knew they weren't putting Vrbata back with the twins (see the season exit interviews after the playoff loss to Calgary), it probably made sense to make the move at the 2015 Draft, as Vrbata himself has said:

Source for quotes above: link 

Sid... I love how you always back up what you say with facts.  You are one poster that I will always read.  Thank You.

33 minutes ago, apollo said:

They are wasting the sedins final years. 

Win now. 

Patience isn't the solution. 

Sedin's final years, yes...their best years...no.  Sedins don't have it in them to take this team through the playoff gauntlet.  They are now great secondary players who need someone else to take over the lead role.

As one ages, one learns to accept the limitations that come with that...I speak from experience.

Archived