The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen not sure what "stuff" he was suppose to collect

Bur14Kes17

1 minute ago, Harvey Spector said:

No I think he will be done before that. 

new year? i can't see them firing Willie if they're in the playoff race. it really depends on the weeks leading up to the end of the year. if they continue to lose ground and lose points. then yeah. i can see them making a change before the new year. 

I really think someone in the AHL coach or what not has to sit jake down and really go over what is expected from him and how to make it to the NHL useing Hprvat as an example as he spent extra time working on himself to get better

Once he learns this and does grow up a bit he will be a good player for us,till then he will stay in the AHL

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

new year? i can't see them firing Willie if they're in the playoff race. it really depends on the weeks leading up to the end of the year. if they continue to lose ground and lose points. then yeah. i can see them making a change before the new year. 

They're in 28th place right now....

but its amazing that's still only 4 points out. Although I've yet to hear of guys in their mid 30s playing their best hockey in the last 30 games of a season, so it'll be interesting to see how bad we fade in the second half of the season.

3 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Not really surprised. He just needs to be developed properly. At least management realized their mistake and corrected it.

I don't think it was a mistake, it was just the rules on young kids and Jake wasn't going to get better beating up kids in the W, and he wasn't allowed to go to the A where he should have been.

He got a bit of time in the show and now he'll work on it in the A where he should have been to start and be a nice little (big) forward for the Canucks moving forward.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Playoffs? You talking about playoffs?? Lol!!

On 27/11/2016 at 2:32 PM, WHL rocks said:

I'm talking about 2nd time around as in after they leave the Canucks organisation. They've all been here for more than 1 year already.

I doubt Linden will be President of another club after he's done with Canucks, I don't think WD will be a head coach again and I doubt JB will be a GM again. 

Tortorella: 4th in the NHL

Gulutzan: 1st in the Pacific

Sullivan: 2016 Cup Champ

AV did a pretty good job here & just as good or better since...

Is it really coaching???:shock:

On 27/11/2016 at 3:38 PM, alfstonker said:

The fact that Jake was too dense to grab his chance and work his ass off during the off season just showed that some people don't appreciate a break when it is given to them.

To be fair he was only 1 year removed from high school. He is only 20 years old now & still has lots of time to get it all together. He might have made a few questionable decisions but that does not mean he's a right off by any means. Kids got a lot of tools & is still years away from reaching his full potential. 

Not every 19 year old cruises thru the NHL.

1 goal in his first 5 AHL games this year & 4 in his last 5 games. 

Patience...B)

I think management has been around mostly veterans for too long and having to learn how to deal with kids.

Horvat was probably kept on too tight of a leash and overprotected... it took almost a whole season to have any trust in him.  Then the next year they tried to loosen the reins a little, figuring Jake and McCann could repeat that.  They weren't ready and needed maturing.

It is very possible that Jake becomes trade bait and needs a couple of stops to get things together.

i hope not, I hope he suddenly becomes a top 6 guy and plays for us.

Lidster has done better on defence with Hutton, Stecher, and Tryamkin... but a lot of that can be chalked up to circumstance because of injuries 

9 hours ago, hearditall said:

To be fair he was only 1 year removed from high school. He is only 20 years old now & still has lots of time to get it all together. He might have made a few questionable decisions but that does not mean he's a right off by any means. Kids got a lot of tools & is still years away from reaching his full potential. 

Patience...B)

I have never said he was a "write off" far from it. I just don't buy excuses that he didn't train because he is only 19.

And who said anything about 'cruising through the NHL"? No one expected him to "cruise"but most of us expected him to graft and appreciate the privilege of being a professional hockey player.

19 isn't a kid to-day, it's just an excuse imo.

9 hours ago, hearditall said:

I think most of us realise it has very little to do with the coaching and everything to do with our transition from the old guard to the new.

The idiots on here think this is a just a case of booting everyone over 30 out and magically finding 10-15 prospects ready to fill the void - all in the space of a season or two.

These same idiots are either not big enough fans to be aware of our recent history i.e. the lack of a proper farm team and our poor scouting during the Gillis years OR they choose to ignore it and prove their ignorance by their inability to realise the damage that can do to a Club and the disadvantage it leaves them in.

Personally I have added another factor and let's call it the "Sedin Factor"

By that I mean we are being forced to play with a split personality due to the way the Sedins now play and our inability to be able to adequately replace them at present. (see above)

We have a mission statement issued by the management stating we are attempting to get bigger, faster and skilful. (was physical mentioned? I'm not sure)

Anyway how can this team get faster with two of the slowest players in the League taking up 20 mis a night on our 1st line. This is also a double edged sword because it means we have the slowest, poorest back checkers out every night trying to defend against other team's fast physical top lines. This is Willie's biggest problem and it puts whoever is playing on their line and on D under a hell of a strain night after night. It unbalances the whole team.

I am at the stage now where I don't really think we need to come up with two top 5 draft picks to replace these guys because if we get two fast physical players who can keep the score ticking over while boosting the D we will have compensated in all the areas where the Twins have begun to decline.

What I am saying is Boeser and Jake may be all we need flanking Bo to get our top line functioning and who knows how well they might do in time.

10 hours ago, hearditall said:

Patience...B)

lmao... it's amazing what people on these forums expect extremely young kids to do / accomplish right out of high school. Man oh man, your quoted post / response gave me a chuckle, thanks.

23 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I think most of us realise it has very little to do with the coaching and everything to do with our transition from the old guard to the new.

The idiots on here think this is a just a case of booting everyone over 30 out and magically finding 10-15 prospects ready to fill the void - all in the space of a season or two.

These same idiots are either not big enough fans to be aware of our recent history i.e. the lack of a proper farm team and our poor scouting during the Gillis years OR they choose to ignore it and prove their ignorance by their inability to realise the damage that can do to a Club and the disadvantage it leaves them in.

Personally I have added another factor and let's call it the "Sedin Factor"

By that I mean we are being forced to play with a split personality due to the way the Sedins now play and our inability to be able to adequately replace them at present. (see above)

We have a mission statement issued by the management stating we are attempting to get bigger, faster and skilful. (was physical mentioned? I'm not sure)

Anyway how can this team get faster with two of the slowest players in the League taking up 20 mis a night on our 1st line. This is also a double edged sword because it means we have the slowest, poorest back checkers out every night trying to defend against other team's fast physical top lines. This is Willie's biggest problem and it puts whoever is playing on their line and on D under a hell of a strain night after night. It unbalances the whole team.

I am at the stage now where I don't really think we need to come up with two top 5 draft picks to replace these guys because if we get two fast physical players who can keep the score ticking over while boosting the D we will have compensated in all the areas where the Twins have begun to decline.

What I am saying is Boeser and Jake may be all we need flanking Bo to get our top line functioning and who knows how well they might do in time.

The way you framed Virt in the earlier post was pretty badly communicated. But I actually agree with your point in this post: The Sedins are probably the slowest 1st line in the league right now and aren't helping us on the back check much or moving the team forward. I think it's time we admit they're 2nd liners at this point and go from there.

On 12/11/2016 at 6:54 PM, hearditall said:

Guess you were listening to TSN 1040 around 5 pm today. You don't need to "yell" it out loud. 

I know you've hearditall but most other people who post here have a radio in their cars and have access to TSN1040 as well.  

I've never said this is a very good team and it's all the coaches fault. Actually I'm one of the few posters who say the opposite of that and say this team is nowhere near to being a playoff team... But the coach sucks. plain and simple. And this team is very very different from what AV and Torts coached. 

It's not just the coaching but our current coach sucks. 

I think Virt can figure it out, but he needs to grow up.  He's in Utica so he can stop going out and take a few years to really focus on his game.  A bunch of guys I played with (Junior) played with him in Abby.  He was the kinda guy when the coach said to take a few laps, to take a few around the circle half heartedly then take a knee as the rest of his team did full laps because "He was better."  Now admittedly he is in the Show, and obviously a great player, but that just shows he thinks he's already earned it.  Kid needs to grow up a bit, stop hitting on UBC girls, and focus on his fitness and his mentality.  I think when he got shat on at the World Juniors for messing up that helped a bit, but he needs to understand if he wants to be the first round pick and stud he thinks he is, he needs to work for it more.   

In regards to Willie, he obviously see's this and sure has messed up but you can't have a 19 year old kid thinking he deserves anything, they need to earn it.  Admittedly with the team playing as terribly as they have been, maybe its time to bring him back so he can prove he's not a bust.  

Archived