The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen not sure what "stuff" he was suppose to collect

Bur14Kes17

Just reading between the lines it really seems like JB / Linden / Ownership would have liked to see Jake in the NHL but for whatever reason Willy isn't on board with giving him the minutes he needs to progress.

I'm kind of with Willy on that one.. Jake hasn't done enough to earn his shot and considering comments made by some vets I get the sense he doesn't get it yet. 

Just glad he's down in the AHL now and getting back to the grind.  He's still young and I'm still excited to see how he progresses.

16 minutes ago, leomessi said:

I think benning will still be around as well as linden but willie done by the end of this year.

I'm talking about 2nd time around as in after they leave the Canucks organisation. They've all been here for more than 1 year already.

I doubt Linden will be President of another club after he's done with Canucks, I don't think WD will be a head coach again and I doubt JB will be a GM again. 

The more I hear come out of Jake's mouth, the more I think that this is less about what the team is or isn't doing and more about the lack of brain matter between his ears. 

IMO, everything he's said from last season up to now has been him saying what he thinks the team and fans want to here, while his actions both in practice and in games indicates he hasn't "heard" a damn thing. At some point, he's going to have to figure it out himself.

Now that he's down in the minors, we're still getting the "I don't understand, I don't get it, They haven't talked to me"?  Way to throw your employer and immediate boss under the bus Jake. It'll keep you down in the minors for a good couple of seasons.

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm talking about 2nd time around as in after they leave the Canucks organisation. They've all been here for more than 1 year already.

I doubt Linden will be President of another club after he's done with Canucks, I don't think WD will be a head coach again and I doubt JB will be a GM again. 

Your hate blinds you. Benning has done nothing to show he can't be an assistant GM/GM/or Chief of Scouting. In fact consdering Gillis will probably NEVER get another gig as GM, despite managing a team to the Stanley Cup, his draft record, and his trading record is as bad as Benning's if not worse. In fact his best deal for Ehrhoff had less to do with fleecing SJ and more of SJ trying to get under the cap. 

19 minutes ago, Conscience said:

??? Skating was one of jakes best assets 

It still is when he's skating on the back-check; now just gotta work on the forecheck (the angles he takes) and puck carrying (head up).

6 minutes ago, xereau said:

Jake is dense, eh?  They gave him an out, and he doesn't take it.

Hopefully he can start developing some hockey sense down in the AHL. His defensive game was good while in the NHL; hopefully he can work on doing things at full speed and build the offensive game while down there.

Power forwards take longer to develop.  The Canucks have not handled his development very well.  Last year he should have been in the WHL and this season and maybe next in the AHL.  He might develop into the player that Benning envisioned.  Unfortunately it maybe on another team.  It's up to Jake now to block out any distractions and listen to his coaches and play hard.  Professionalism and dedication first which will lead to success on the ice and the stat sheet.

18 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Rookie GM, Rookie coach, Rookie President. 

Mistakes are bound to be made, all three are on their first Job in their respective roles. Second time around they will know better. Thing is none of these 3 will likely get a 2nd time around at these positions. 

About 75% of the GM's in the league are rookie GM's....

14 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

The more I hear come out of Jake's mouth, the more I think that this is less about what the team is or isn't doing and more about the lack of brain matter between his ears.

This. 

You can lead a horse to water, etc. While I admit Jake's been jerked around these last few weeks, it seems like the message to him since making the Canucks has been clear: he needs to put in the work, both in practice and on the ice. He needs to eliminate distractions, focus on hockey, and have his butt cash the checks that his mouth keeps writing. 

He complained publicly about his ice time and linemates, and posters on here also indicated he hasn't been given enough time to do anything. Tell that to Megna and Chaput who have already had better showings and been more useful to the team. Glad to hear he's finally getting the top-line minutes he really needs. I believe he still has potential, but that his development is farther behind schedule than he or any of us would have hoped for.

(Mis)managment from the (dis)organization. 

Nobody knew what Vancouver was doing sending him down then recalling apperNtly they didn't know either. 

The telephone  email text are your friend- 

canucks managment - hi jake your going to be staying down in Utica for a while do you need to come to Vancouver and get some "stuff" 

jake - nope. 

Wow so complicated. 

sure reiterates the facts of how poorly this managment and coaching communicate with the players just like the tdl  last season. Or Higgins getting sent home.

The head starching moves and comments from this group is funnier than some of the stand up comedians. 

56 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So that doesn't sound good. But then later in the interview:

Which sounds like they did communicate a plan to Virtanen.

And then regarding Willie and the "stuff":

This all seems like a case of a reporter taking advantage of a kid who isn't very media savvy.

And the result is some juicy quotes that can be used to make the Canucks organization appear inept.

But it seems clear that Virtanen knows what's expected of him and what he needs to do to get back to the NHL. Which again suggests there is a plan and that it has been communicated to the player.

And Benning did say that they had meetings in Vancouver to decide what the long term plan was for Virtanen. Which really seems like the main reason why they brought Jake back to Vancouver before re-assigning him to Utica.

The rest of the interview just strikes me as the reporter manipulating Virtanen into saying some things that might make the team look bad.

And unfortunately, it seems that Jake hasn't quite learned to keep his mouth shut when it comes to statements that are potentially damaging to the reputation of the team and its management and coaching staff.

My thought exactly when reading it (for the first part) and Jake may be a bit frustrated between his play and the up and down to help explain the second part. He's candid, we've seen that in previous interviews, and you don't necessarily want to train that out of him but you do want him to make good choices in his statements.

22 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Your hate blinds you. Benning has done nothing to show he can't be an assistant GM/GM/or Chief of Scouting. In fact consdering Gillis will probably NEVER get another gig as GM, despite managing a team to the Stanley Cup, his draft record, and his trading record is as bad as Benning's if not worse. In fact his best deal for Ehrhoff had less to do with fleecing SJ and more of SJ trying to get under the cap. 

No hate at all. I never hated Gillis nor JB. And I've never been a Gillis or JB guy. Some of you are Gillis followers on here, some of you are JB guys. Not me. I'm a Canucks follower. Seen many many GM's and coaches come and go over the decades.

I remember when Linden was drafted and have been cheering for him to succeed and bring a Cup to this city ever since.

But for some of you on CDC if anyone posts an honest opinion which doesn't say, I love Linden, he's the best human in history of humankind it means "You hate him" .. lol....  There's is no middle ground with many of you, can't understand how you guys developed this type of personality. 

I said another job in their respective positions. I'm not talking Asst GM or Scout etc. I'm talking GM, or Head coach in WD case, President in Linden's case. 

Not sure why it's so hard for you to understand what i wrote. Pretty easy, perhaps you're still hungover from last night, then I understand. 

1 hour ago, Nuxin07 said:

I don't see how this kid is going to have success if he in only playing 10 minutes a night in the AHL. Another JB disaster. 

Just on a side rant - JB was brought in for scouting - when you compare the draft success of JV and OJ to Nylander and Tkachuk it just futher reminds me we should have brought in an experienced GM. In the future Aquillini has to learn not role the dice on a junior coach/rookie gm/rookie prez. It only adds to the whole "ownership control" theory.

Somewhere Mike Gillis is laughing his ass off...

Are you actually saying these players are the same? For goodness sake give you head a shake.

Jake is about as immature as Kassian and that is saying something.

Go listen to a Stecher interview and compare it to Virtanen. 

The fact is that Jake got a great opportunity, (given to him by the GM) the same opportunity Stecher, Hutton and Bo got and he couldn't take it because he was too immature to realise he hadn't made it because you have to work harder when you get a chance like that.

Listening to his description of the A is hilarious considering he was unable to work hard enough to stay in the NHL.

Archived