The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen not sure what "stuff" he was suppose to collect

Bur14Kes17

31 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yeah - not that complicated a metaphor reallly - the "stuff" you're supposed to get is one's sh#t together.

But on a more serious note - I thought when he reinjured his shoulder in that SJ game in preseason that his season could be in jeopardy.  Not an 'excuse' for him - but not the kind of injury you can just ignore for an 82 game season and 'suck up' - not the type that just goes away in a few weeks - particularly not for the type of player he is or the way he wants/needs to play the game.   I won't be surprised if this year is a relative write off, at least at the NHL level.  Who knows - but it's looked like more than simply a lack of young mental development.

He hasn't dominated since his draft year. I hate to say it but it's true. In hindsight he should have spent another year in Jr to get his offensive skills back in tact. I have never seen a game where I was like "wow Jake Virtanen has arrived" at the NHL level. I know it hurts everyone to say it out loud but his offensive game has regressed every year since his surgery. 

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

You just don't get it. 

Intentionally or not Virtanen has embarrassed WD and JB every time he has opened his self entitled mouth. This is sign of a week character given that the coach was the one guy who really batted for Virtanen when the media were slating him after the WJC.

Imo he comes over as spoilt, selfish and someone who is always looking to paint himself as a victim. That is not good.

ostrich-clip-art.jpg

40 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Well someone will. With the HNIC crew last night talking about Buffalo having scouts in Utica maybe Jim has given up on him and would do a deal involving Kane and Jake. 

Makes zero sense to me after everything they've said.

So they give up on Jake in order to bring in a player like Kane? I don't buy it. 

44 minutes ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

he can still skate

The poster said you can't expect power forwards (jake) to skate like 2way forwards (horvat).

jake hasn't been using his speed lately and looks slower, I'm saying this is not due to his physical limitations as he clearly has the ablility to be a great skater. 

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm talking about 2nd time around as in after they leave the Canucks organisation. They've all been here for more than 1 year already.

I doubt Linden will be President of another club after he's done with Canucks, I don't think WD will be a head coach again and I doubt JB will be a GM again. 

oh okay  gotcha - I agree

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

He was taking photos of himself with Bieber and didn't shy away making jokes about his late night in this video hanging with Bieber.

Give him time he is not on the same level as Kassian and Kane with off ice issues but all 3 share the common theme of being immature.

Like I said with Kassian maybe with Kane going to his third team will finally wake him up whether that is Vancouver or someplace else knowing he is running out of chances.

I always don't think Virtanen will ever get a true wakeup call until he is traded to another NHL team. I doubt he really improves a lot this year in the minors with the cast he is playing with there stats wise.

Canucks will be monitoring his work ethic and if he improves his 2 way game and call him back up later in the year.

Look how chuny he looks in this video in his lower body. No wonder the concerns about maintaining his playing weight are legitimate.

So you provide an official Canucks TV video as evidence? Anything in that video was clearly approved to be released. Even for the selfies at a concert, we can judge him on being a fan of Beiber's, but then we've seen other Canucks players posting selfies at the UFC and elsewhere. It's a digital age for the younger players. That's not the same as the arrogance of posing with a huge stack of cash. It's certainly not the same as someone dealing with substance abuse.

Maybe he'll have the same trouble as those two (who are hardly succeeding) and others like Grabner who take a few pushes to find their way, but then again it's pretty hard to say that about a guy who's only 20 years old. Probably a better chance this is just growing pains than to start comparing him to players who've carried serious issues across multiple teams.

2 minutes ago, KeslerWho? said:

Jake needs to learn to be a professional, especially in interviews. "I don't know, I don't understand, no ones told me anything"

Mate, you can't even score in the AHL, and you think you should be with the Canucks??

And JB says he drafts character?  

4 hours ago, Dreckis123 said:

Bottom line is this kid hasn't played well and when he was in the lineup he looked undetermined. Look at Bo given absolutely nothing to work with and still goes out every single shift looking like he wants more. 

Dont nut tell me this organization can't develop prospects. Hogwash........

I honestly see Jake as Cody H v2.0. He seems to feel he is entitled yet earned nothing. 2 Points this season in Utica, huge disappointment in the World Juniors 

I would not mind one bit if we dumped him for whatever we can get for him.

Needs to learn how to keep his yap shut and speak with his play....he has it backwards 

4 hours ago, Nuxin07 said:

I don't see how this kid is going to have success if he in only playing 10 minutes a night in the AHL. Another JB disaster. 

Just on a side rant - JB was brought in for scouting - when you compare the draft success of JV and OJ to Nylander and Tkachuk it just futher reminds me we should have brought in an experienced GM. In the future Aquillini has to learn not role the dice on a junior coach/rookie gm/rookie prez. It only adds to the whole "ownership control" theory.

Somewhere Mike Gillis is laughing his ass off...

Let's not forget that Nylander was able to play in the AHL last year, where jake wasn't.  Nylander has been playing pro, against men, since his draft year and that makes a big difference in their development, imo.  

They need to have an even playing field for prospects in the AHL.  Either everyone can play in the AHL as a 19 year old, or none can.  

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Makes zero sense to me after everything they've said.

So they give up on Jake in order to bring in a player like Kane? I don't buy it. 

The scouting list is a public thing, so I have no doubt they were there. They could be scouting some young D as well as part of a package. 

I actually think there could be a whiff of something there. JB has shown he'll move young guys, even his own picks. Or just as likely HNIC is stirring the pot ::D

Archived