The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Firing] Gerard Gallant

Rocky Balboa

Once Tallon was essentially relieved of his duties to remain in the organization it meant things were going to get weird and messy in Florida. Rowe is an ownership hire not Tallon, Rowe will move ahead in Florida at the expense of what was a steadily improving team and a team that many thought could start to challenge come Playoff time.

Gallant did a great job with the Panthers but again a Tallon hire not Rowe or new ownership. Its one thing to see good people come and go, its another to see a team start to build a solid base and develop stability only to have a new owner take over and re-arrange everything and for the worse.

Now people talk about Vancouver owners " meddling " or having mandates and making hockey decisions ( as all owners do in the NHL, get over it already ), its appears a whole lot more " meddly " in Florida.

It would be nice to see Gallant go to another NHL club, if not as an assistant again, he seems to be very well respected and gets a lot out of his players.

19 hours ago, Green⌃Arrow said:

Let's hire him please?

Florida was probably on the verge of going on a hot streak. :P

I like Gallant and would love him here as an associate coach.

It will never happen though even

if Gallant wanted to. It would put too much of a media spin that it means they have hired Willie's replacement because they are looking to fire him. I doubt that would be true but the media would certainly run with it. I think it might actually help Willie though.

8 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Don Cherry said it best and I agree with him that it was done by people who don't know as much as they think

one of the few times I agree with Cherry, the old blowhard. The firing probably ruined the morale of a young team who wasn't even that far out of the playoff picture, coming off a great season last time. I expect to see Florida continue to nose dive after all this unnecessary drama, and I hope that isn't the end of Jagr too.

Looks like the Old school vs analytics group came to a head. What the stats guys have yet to figure out, that numbers don't play the games. Players need motivation, inspiration and a coach to bring it all together.  The NHL is not a video game. 

Anyone want to change their position on the McCann for Gudbranson trade?  That deal looks better and better as we watch Florida implode. 

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The New York Islanders have received permission from the Florida Panthers to speak with former coach Gerard Gallant.

I knew this would happen as soon as I noticed the TSN headline on my app this morning. 

Still a weird situation, hopefully he does well. NYI have fallen far from last year. 

Archived