The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Baertschi a product of Bo Horvat?

Mathew Barzal

Is Bae  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bo has the stuff to be our future number one center. He may be that now.

If they can surround him with some skilled wingers then we will have our first line. (Boeser hopefully )

He will get better every year.

Players like Granlund , Gaunce, Gaudett, Lookwood and Mckenzie with need to fill out the rest of our centers.

That should tell us how many years it will be before we are truly competitive. 

Has anybody noticed that Horvat has become an impact player.  Yep, I mean power forward.  The boy is a tank.  

Baertschi is no tank but he has top 6 skill.  By top 6, I mean 2nd line while Horvat now is showing 1st line potential due to his work ethic and strong character.  We are seeing him develop beyond what people thought when he was drafted.

As for Burrows, the kids have given him a shot in the arm.  He's always had what he has been showing 

When Baer was acquired WD commented that it's exciting because he thinks the game as a top-6 player and is able to make real high end plays.  Linden says not many can do what he can do offensively.  Can he play like one consistently - this remains to be seen.  McIntyre keeps on suggesting that they have really high hopes for him (again last week).  

If he can't reach his potential - he won't stay on the team.  He has this season (or maybe even less) to show he can.  

I thought Baer did better away from Horvat last season - he looked offensively like the Sven of old when he played with Monahan.  Calgary was talking of how Monahan's smart two-way play was the perfect fit with Baer's creativity.  That's why I was initially kind of surprised to see them back together.  It also sounded like WD preferred Baer away from Horvat.  He was more the playmaker and there was more patience and creativity to his game - it was more about holding on to the puck and controlling the play in the o-zone rather than off-the rush straight to the net.

I have more and more the feeling that it's a management decision to keep them together especially after the weird situation at the start of the season and the explanations given.  

WD's justification to have Horvat with Dorsett/Burrows to start the year was that Horvat creates his own offence with Tomlinson explaining that it's a good fit because he can then just keep the puck to himself, while Granlund will get the puck to Baer. 

Horvat is power and speed and his wingers have to kind of follow suit as he bulldozes his way to the net.  And that's where I think Baer comes into play - poise and creativity were the words used to describe his offensive play in Calgary (other parts of his game were a mess back then).

If they find a way to combine their strength - it could make for a special line.  I think that's what management is hoping for.  In any case, Baer needs to find his groove if he wants to stay on this team.

I think we can all agree that Baer is a legitimate top 6 talent.

The main issue with him is consistency. Look at him last year, he was pretty bad in the first half, but was arguably one of our best players December onwards. He has had another slow start but I see him just a little bit off. The puck is just rolling off the stick when stick handling, his passes are just missing the target, he is narrowly missing the net.

He just isn't getting puck luck right now.

Be patient, it will come. He is a damn good player

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Baertschi is developing slower than Bo... mainly a confidence thing.

But his overall play is better with Bo, and Bo is better with him on the line.

He has more potential than Burrows, or Megna or several others.

Is he the ultimate winger for Bo?  No... likely that will be Boeser.

Yes, I can't wait for the BOBO line!

1 hour ago, ice orca said:

He could teach them the in's and out's of how to deal with women.

And help Jake become a professional hockey player!

Bo needs a playmaker on his line.  A good playmaker, along with a puck hound (Hansen/Bur) is ideal.  I am hopeful that Baer will get his game back up to par, but I am doubtful that he will always be Bo's LW.

Your best players like Bo always make their line mates better, thats why they are your best players. Boeser does this in ND. Can't wait to see the two of them together. 

Without any trades, we could see Loui-Bo-Boeser as a line, which to me could take over as the new 1st line next year if Brock is ready to step up. 

Bear isn't progressing away from Bo unfortunately. He might be Vegas bound, as at this point you have to protect Grandlund over Baer. McPhee said last week that he would pick 'throw aways' over taking 'bad contracts'. If he sees Sbisa as a bad contract, Baer is the likely pick imo. 

5 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I like Baertschi a lot, but I don't think he's in the core of this team going forward. He's on a show-me contract, and hasn't shown much of anything this season. Maybe next season is different, but there's a tonne of guys who fizzles out after their 2nd contract around 25-26. He's a good fill in for now, but it seems guys like Granlund, and potentially Rodin will overtake him on the wing. 

I don't think Granlund will ever be a guy to rely on as a scoring winger. Maybe Rodin but we will see. I'm pleasantly surprised with Granlund this year but imo he's best suited as a checking winger. 

As far a Baertchi goes obviously he gets a boost from playing from Horvat but Horvat isn't the reason Baertchi will or will not succeed. The guy has been known for his whole career to have great talent but have major confidence issues and that's exactly what we're seeing. Can he figure out how to believe in Himself? His career rests upon it.

Archived