The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Baertschi a product of Bo Horvat?

Mathew Barzal

Is Bae  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Baertschi is a product of Calgary mishandling his development. He works his butt off on and off the ice and has been snake bitten for most of the season. Even the best players in the world have slumps. Unfortunately he got injured while starting to ramp up.

Everyone seems to forget how long it takes for a player from another team to adjust productively to their new one. Especially younger guys in the midst of their development that have only ever known one team.

In a season or two he'll be able to play with anyone and score.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Baertschi is the product of his parents doing the no pants dance.

That would be " keine Hosen-Tanz " or maybe " aucun pantalon de danse "  or even " nessuna danza pantaloni " depending what part of Switzerland you were from :bigblush:

9 hours ago, smokes said:

OMG aren't we just overratting Bo a little bit, he isn't the end all be all

I don't think we are, he's looking like a Kesler 2.0 without the attitude and beaver tail. Bo's an absolute beaut. Makes digesting the Schneider trade a lot easier!

Think about it like this:

Was Naslund a product of Bertuzzi? Since Todd was the one creating the space for Nazzy to shoot. They're helping each other with their strengths: Naslund's shot ~ Bertuzzi's power.

Bo's play lately has definitely helped his linemates Baer and Burr. BUT you cannot disregard Baertschi's playmaking ability, as well as his drastic improvement on both ends of the ice compared to his first 20-25 games. 

Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows

Playmaker - Two-Way - Grinder

A true sniper instead of Burrows would take this line to the next level since Horvat can do what Burrows does and then some. Maybe Eriksson might be a good fit as well and we can reunite the Sedins-Burr line. I guess we'll have to wait for Boeser to be that true sniper...

I'm not taking away anything from Burrows, but he is on his contract year; and most players not named Vrbata play their heart out to get a nice new contract. I mean look at Eriksson last year on his contract year. He hadn't scored over 60 points in 4 years; until his contract year of course. Based on what I've seen so far with us, he is worth maybe 5 million. But those contract years really motivate players to excel forcing us to pay market value of an extra 1 million. 

There needs to be a balance of each player's strengths. This is the same reason why Daniel Sedin becoming more of a playmaker has subsequently reduced the production of the Sedins.

My view may be slightly biased, but it's based on watching these guys play together for as long as they have been Canucks.

No, Baertschi is great in his own right. The two have good chemistry but Bae is a better possession player while Horvat can make something out of literally nothing.

I do think Baertschi is a core player of the future and people should give him a longer leash, He started slow last yearand ended strong hopefully it's the same case this year. 

Anyway Baertschi apparently might play on tuesday, hoping the BHB line can pick up where they left off against Ari.....err Phoenix.

1 hour ago, robvp said:

I don't think we are, he's looking like a Kesler 2.0 without the attitude and beaver tail. Bo's an absolute beaut. Makes digesting the Schneider trade a lot easier!

It's hard to compare because when Kesler came in, this was still Naslund & Bertuzzi's team.  The Sedins were just coming into their own.  Kesler had a lot more support, but a lot less opportunity.

With more ice time and responsibility, Horvat has shown to so far be better offensively and worse defensively.  Comparing their first 3 seasons (Kesler only played 28 games as a rookie, Horvat only 22 games into 3rd season):

Games Played

Kesler    158

Horvat    172

Kesler   18 Goals 26 Assists  0.27 Points Per Game

Horvat   36 Goals 44 Assists  0.47 Points Per Game

Other Stats

Kesler   +/-    0          230 shots   7.8 S%

Horvat   +/-  -41         282 shots   12.8 S%

So those stats point to Horvat being a better scorer and Kesler being better defensively.  I'd also say that just because they came into the league as 2 way forwards, I wouldn't say that they're similar players.  I think Horvat has an advantage of making his linemates better and being physically bigger.  Kesler had an advantage of being a pest/instigator and having a compete level that no Canuck has right now. 

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

It's hard to compare because when Kesler came in, this was still Naslund & Bertuzzi's team.  The Sedins were just coming into their own.  Kesler had a lot more support, but a lot less opportunity.

With more ice time and responsibility, Horvat has shown to so far be better offensively and worse defensively.  Comparing their first 3 seasons (Kesler only played 28 games as a rookie, Horvat only 22 games into 3rd season):

Games Played

Kesler    158

Horvat    172

Kesler   18 Goals 26 Assists  0.27 Points Per Game

Horvat   36 Goals 44 Assists  0.47 Points Per Game

Other Stats

Kesler   +/-    0          230 shots   7.8 S%

Horvat   +/-  -41         282 shots   12.8 S%

So those stats point to Horvat being a better scorer and Kesler being better defensively.  I'd also say that just because they came into the league as 2 way forwards, I wouldn't say that they're similar players.  I think Horvat has an advantage of making his linemates better and being physically bigger.  Kesler had an advantage of being a pest/instigator and having a compete level that no Canuck has right now. 

Very good post! Can't disagree with much of that at all, although I think Horvat's compete level has been second to none(and by none I mean the badger:P). Him and Hansen are about the only two players who never seem to take a shift off. It is interesting to constantly hear Willie pegging him as a defensive Center. Anyone who watches the games can see the kid has hands and takes the puck to the net hard. Will be fun to watch for years to come!

1 minute ago, C.Schneider said:

I would love to see what JVR could do with Bo.  

T needs a defence, we've got that.  JVR should be very expandable for TO at this point.

JVR is a big softie.  He's not a JB guy.  Plus, he's too old for our young core.  NO TO JVR.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:20 PM, Mathew Barzal said:

The more I watch this season the stronger my feelings regarding this matter become.

Baertschi had been penciled into our top six alongside Horvat before the season even began. I was fine with that, they were almost unstoppable as a duo to end the year last year. But thinking about it, no-names like Kenins, Megna and even the beaten, broken down, aged Burrows miraculously find their scoring touch on Bo's wing.

The kid hasn't skipped a beat with 'lesser' talents cycled on his wing in Baertschi's absence.

And really, has Baertschi looked much better than any of them alongside Bo? I don't think so. Any and everyone has looked good with Bo creating and drawing multiple defenders to himself.

I think my point in creating this thread is that sooner or later the Canucks are going to find themselves with legitimate top line winger talent for Horvat in the post-Sedin era. Winger's who aren't just complimentary and instead of having their game elevated by Bo, will be able to elevate his game as well. When that day comes, I think Baertschi finds himself losing that left wing spot and having to try and produce with one of our other three centers. And I don't think he'll be able to.

Do you view Baertschi as a legitimate top six NHL talent? With Bo out of the picture?

Maybe top six on this very bad team, but not on most NHL teams. He was easily replaced by the AHL guys playing with Bo and Burr.

A line of Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser should have people salivating here. A playmaker with a really high ceiling, a two-way player with even higher offensive upside than we expected and a big time sniper. They should, on paper, compliment each other very well. 

It's been stated here many times, Svens not having a bad season, he's just not getting the bounces. He's playing well in both ends... making plays and getting chances, the pucks just not going in as much as he'd like. It'll come though, I think he'll have a much better second half than his first.

The one thing I hope Sven works on next summer is explosiveness. This is basically the only thing that's preventing him from having an elite ceiling. Once he gets going he's alright but his acceleration looks a little bit sluggish.

I think WD has Burr and Baer with Bo because he's helping Bo round out his game.  We know Bo is killer on the rush, but he needs more experience on the cycle, keeping the puck in the zone. Bo can obviously finish, so you give him a playmaker in Baer and a puck retriever in Burr. Bo's passing game and vision are improving as demonstrated by the Burrows goal two games ago. Baer has a lot of talent, and confidence is a huge issue with him. The slow start seemed to weigh him down. Honestly, that line came alive when they took Jake off of it and injected some Burrows excitement. So maybe Bo and Baer are a product of Burrows, lol. Even in last night's game, when that line tallied twice, but Burr was held off the sheet, he was still noticeable in a good way.

Archived