Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alex Edler out 4-6 weeks


-Vintage Canuck-

Recommended Posts

Sorry to see Edler suffer this crap injury misfortune. 

 

People love having a whipping boy - who ever commits the last turnover on the blueline usually qualifiies.  There haven't been many of those this year, so Edler's stick-breaking or blocked shot attempts have stepped up into the void.

 

Thanks for being the anchor of the blueline thus far - and having the best underlying numbers of the top 6, with the exception of the recently arrived Stecher, whose performance can't be separated from your presence on his pairing.

https://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201617&sit=5v5&pos=skaters&minutes=25&teamid=29&type=corsi&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

 

Edler is too much man for those twigs your stick manufacturer supplies you with - but obviously, he's to blame that modern hockey technology has been wrongfully exposed.   Blame is our favorite currency on CDC.

 

If I have one criticism, it might be to take less shots, particularly on the powerplay - I know Edler has scored his share in the past, but has been struggling in this aspect alone and has more options to move the puck to than in recent years - otherwise, no real complaints.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mll said:

 

With Tanev and Edler injured, both (for their positions) under incredibly cap friendly contracts and knowing the teams that may be calling for them are all bubble teams or playoff entrants right now

 

That return on tanev HAS to be a solid surefire blue chip prospect and possibly +

 

People get blinded by D that can score goals but forget it's the D that prevent them that win games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sorry to see Edler suffer this crap injury misfortune. 

 

People love having a whipping boy - who ever commits the last turnover on the blueline usually qualifiies.  There haven't been many of those this year, so Edler's stick-breaking or blocked shot attempts have stepped up into the void.

 

Thanks for being the anchor of the blueline thus far - and having the best underlying numbers of the top 6, with the exception of the recently arrived Stecher, whose performance can't be separated from your presence on his pairing.

https://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201617&sit=5v5&pos=skaters&minutes=25&teamid=29&type=corsi&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

 

Edler is too much man for those twigs your stick manufacturer supplies you with - but obviously, he's to blame that modern hockey technology has been wrongfully exposed.   Blame is our favorite currency on CDC.

 

If I have one criticism, it might be to take less shots, particularly on the powerplay - I know Edler has scored his share in the past, but has been struggling in this aspect alone and has more options to move the puck to than in recent years - otherwise, no real complaints.

 

I've actually thought about this a lot

 

I wonder how productive some of these players would be if they stepped away from composites and went to single body wooden sticks of the same type that Lidstrom used most of his career and Hull never deviated from.

 

Seemed to work for them I guess

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I've actually thought about this a lot

 

I wonder how productive some of these players would be if they stepped away from composites and went to single body wooden sticks of the same type that Lidstrom used most of his career and Hull never deviated from.

 

Seemed to work for them I guess

I don't know, but Edler's stick supplier has some work to do to justify the cake they're raking in.

The more broken junk, the more money they make.

And the lost on ice opportunities are another level cost altogether.

Edler doesn't seem to get the benefit of any doubt - no excuses - perhaps it's time to have the same expectations of the people supplying his tools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

huge blow for the team in my opinion. he has been consistently logging up 25-30 minutes without breaking a sweat. its not a huge loss by no means but the team will start to feel the loss of his presence if it all goes downhill. we do have the depth though. Biega played with heart last year and we also have Larsen alongside Tanev coming back soon. but they wont be able to log the amount of minutes other than Tanev that Edler takes. we will have to see how it goes to plan tomorrow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

huge blow for the team in my opinion. he has been consistently logging up 25-30 minutes without breaking a sweat. its not a huge loss by no means but the team will start to feel the loss of his presence if it all goes downhill. we do have the depth though. Biega played with heart last year and we also have Larsen alongside Tanev coming back soon. but they wont be able to log the amount of minutes other than Tanev that Edler takes. we will have to see how it goes to plan tomorrow

Ummm...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know, but Edler's stick supplier has some work to do to justify the cake they're raking in.

The more broken junk, the more money they make.

And the lost on ice opportunities are another level cost altogether.

Edler doesn't seem to get the benefit of any doubt - no excuses - perhaps it's time to have the same expectations of the people supplying his tools.

You'd think Edler would be complaining to the manufacturer.  This has been going on for a few years now. If he hasn't already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know, but Edler's stick supplier has some work to do to justify the cake they're raking in.

The more broken junk, the more money they make.

And the lost on ice opportunities are another level cost altogether.

Edler doesn't seem to get the benefit of any doubt - no excuses - perhaps it's time to have the same expectations of the people supplying his tools.

I've heard that a local engineering firm in Richmond looked into the Canucks issue with breaking sticks before, but to no avail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never like to see a Canuck injured. That said, Tanev was supposed to be 10 days away from returning about 10 days ago, and the rest of the D look great, so no need to panic, unless further injuries hit. 

Of the upcoming games, my interest is hugely on the Toronto game, and I'd like to see a line up with no passengers. I want players who come to each other's defense out there. Not the worst time for Alex Edler to be out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I've heard that a local engineering firm in Richmond looked into the Canucks issue with breaking sticks before, but to no avail.

i think its more to with his follow thru with the bottom edge of his stick contacting the ice longer than it should ,using the flex of the shaft to assist with the impact ,I've read somewhere that players do that more with composite sticks , having tried them myself there is way more flex in the shaft. personally i liked the more weightier wooden sticks with less flex. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, chon derry said:

i think its more to with his follow thru with the bottom edge of his stick contacting the ice longer than it should ,using the flex of the shaft to assist with the impact ,I've read somewhere that players do that more with composite sticks , having tried them myself there is way more flex in the shaft. personally i liked the more weightier wooden sticks with less flex. 

That's what she said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...