The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alex Edler out 4-6 weeks

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Shift-4 said:

Interesting descriptor. Rocks generally aren't characterized as having mobility or intelligence :P 

but they are the foundational support of many things and edler does a lot more propping up of tanev than tanev does of edler.  That was made pretty clear last season when edler was hurt.

Truthfully, I think they could jettison them both and be fine

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

agreed and we got to see who the rock was in the edler/tanev pairing

I wouldn't say that. Tanev can more than hold his own with or without Edler.

The main thing with last season is that we never had great depth, well not as great as this years defense.

Also our blueline was decimated with injuries. Edler was one of many.

That said Edler does eat up a lot of tough minutes. He will be missed.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I wonder if this opens up Hutton-Stecher as a PP pairing. They tried it last game when Edler went out.

I think both those players desperately need someone with more of a defensive mindset.  Hutton has been out to lunch defensively and stetcher has had more than a few missed defensive assignments.

Hutton Guddy

Sbisa Stetcher

Tryamkin Larsen/Biega

oops, misread the PP part of your post, sorry

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

but they are the foundational support of many things and edler does a lot more propping up of tanev than tanev does of edler.  That was made pretty clear last season when edler was hurt.

Truthfully, I think they could jettison them both and be fine

I like this thought. Not because of what they do or don't bring. But because this team needs to move on.

5 hours ago, canucks411 said:

A lot of people on CDC said Edler was terrible and needs to go now......we'll see how Van does with out him.... 

Edler is injured for lengthy periods of time every season. Vancouver is never any worse without him. He's the new Sami Salo. Made of glass

I am on record as being on the get rid of edler camp. That being said I don't like to see anyone go down from injury doesn't do edler or the team any good.and to answer those that point out the mistakes other dmen are making while defending edler is that they make these errors while at least trying. And looking genuinely upset with themselves after such blunders wich means they care. More than I can say for edler. In short I am not saying we will be better off without him.but we won't be worse. And I can forgive screw ups when the player is at least making an effort.

1 hour ago, Bo fan said:

So .............who fills Edlers skates ? and who breaks Edlers sticks?

This is a d man that eats up big minutes against big heavy teams - I bet he's going to be missed - just my humble opinion - I know lots on here disagree

You betcha but would rather see him moved for assets rather than injured.

3 hours ago, chon derry said:

i think its more to with his follow thru with the bottom edge of his stick contacting the ice longer than it should ,using the flex of the shaft to assist with the impact ,I've read somewhere that players do that more with composite sticks , having tried them myself there is way more flex in the shaft. personally i liked the more weightier wooden sticks with less flex. 

More flex in a wood shaft no?

Sucks for anyone to be hurt, but this actually helps the team. Edler has been declining rapidly over the last couple seasons, he's one of the few holdovers from the country club days. I think he needs an attitude adjustment, hopefully the young guys pick it up and once he realizing the team doesn't need him, he will realize that he actually has to put in an effort to improve or he'll find himself replaced and on another team.

3 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Good idea but doomed for failure Bettman will have it barred from hockey especially if it goes to the Canucks only. However he might be persuaded to allow the other 29 to have them if you meet him over a fancy lunch and bring the envelope.

damn it, my dream is dead. That sob would probably take the money and still not certify it. 

Is Edler the new Sami Salo? Alex E is always injured it seems.

It was just a matter of time til he was injured......again. Now watch when he gets back he'll hurt his back bending over to pickup a cracker and be out for the season.

best Sami Salo injury was he got bitten by a poison snake.

Archived