The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ryan Strome unhappy being healthy scratched 2nd game in a row

4 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Ryan Strome would be a good addition, but not for Virtanen. I would definitely entertain an offer such as:

VAN

R. Strome
M. Barzal

NYI
C. Tanev

2nd Round Pick (2018)

Why would they want Tanev? They have Harmonic, Boychuk, and Pulock on the right side, and Leddy, Seidenberg, and Hickey on the left. Absolutely no room for Tanev. 

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I thought for sure that would be a move you'd be against.

A hockey trade is fine. Bleeding prospect for bleeding prospect swaps make a lot of sense. 

Jake is still young, it's too early to give up on him!!!! Blah, blah, blah. Switch Jake's name for, Schroeder, Kassian, Jensen, Vey, or Shirokov and you have the same old story on CDC. Don't give up on a prospect who is laying on the floor bleeding to death. Keep him alive!! It's hard to catch a falling knife but it's better than being left with nothing. Jake has regressed every year since his draft year. He Simply does not have the attitude or mentality to persevere and turn this around. He is just another power forward who relied on his size to score in Jr and now that he isn't 2x's the size of the dmen he is screwed. He has no hockey IQ to fall back on because he has never needed it before. 

8 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Why would they want Tanev? They have Harmonic, Boychuk, and Pulock on the right side, and Leddy, Seidenberg, and Hickey on the left. Absolutely no room for Tanev. 

Boychuck, Seidenberg have both seen better days, and Pulock has yet to make an impact at the NHL level. Making the team stronger (they're bleeding goals) makes a case for convincing Tavares to re-up, which if he doesn't and ends up going to UFA year after this, they have to blow up the entire roster and begin rebuilding.

They have enough prospect depth that they can afford to lose Barzal, and Strome doesn't appear to be in their plans moving forward. Combined with moving to Brooklyn, they have a lot of pressure to improve this season and make the playoffs.

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

A hockey trade is fine. Bleeding prospect for bleeding prospect swaps make a lot of sense. 

There's a 4 year age gap.  One has two more years of being waiver eligible and development vs the other that is a make or break.

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Jake is still young, it's too early to give up on him!!!! Blah, blah, blah. Switch Jake's name for, Schroeder, Kassian, Jensen, Vey, or Shirokov and you have the same old story on CDC. Don't give up on a prospect who is laying on the floor bleeding to death. Keep him alive!! It's hard to catch a falling knife but it's better than being left with nothing. Jake has regressed every year since his draft year. He Simply does not have the attitude or mentality to persevere and turn this around. He is just another power forward who relied on his size to score in Jr and now that he isn't 2x's the size of the dmen he is screwed. He has no hockey IQ to fall back on because he has never needed it before. 

So McCann for Guddy was not a hockey trade?

Shinkaruk for Granlund was not a hockey trade?

Forsling for Clendening was not a hockey trade?

Jake reminds me of Drouin. Pretty sure Tampa was glad they didn't offload him when his value was low.  

I can't believe I have to explain this to you of all people.  No more trying to speed up the rebuild,  we should be keeping our picks and prospects letting them develop and in the mean time Jake being in the AHL benefits a struggling Utica roster.

31 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There's no reason to trade Jake, yet. He's doesn't have to clear waivers so there is no rush to move him.  Trading him for a risk is not good asset management.  Let him develop in the AHL, we shouldn't freak out because a 20 year old hasn't made an NHL impact yet.

No more unproven risk players that require waivers and handcuff our roster. We've already had too many of those moves.

Vey, Baertschi, Granlund, Etem, Larsen

Not sure Strome is in the same vein as Vey... but good point. I'd be more excited about it if he was a LW that could potentially fill a line of ______-Bo-Boeser. 

Wouldn't be opposed to trading Virtanen if the player coming back can score some goals, and has a good attitude. I'd be okay trading Tanev too. Whatever makes this team better. I feel like Tanev hasn't been around for a while, yet the Canucks are playing well without him. Be nice to bring home Sam Reinhart, to eventually be our #2C. Still have some hope for Jake, he is only 20.

Eriksson - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Reinhart - Virtanen

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There's a 4 year age gap.  One has two more years of being waiver eligible and development vs the other that is a make or break.

So McCann for Guddy was not a hockey trade?

Shinkaruk for Granlund was not a hockey trade?

Forsling for Clendening was not a hockey trade?

Jake reminds me of Drouin. Pretty sure Tampa was glad they didn't offload him when his value was low.  

I can't believe I have to explain this to you of all people.  No more trying to speed up the rebuild,  we should be keeping our picks and prospects letting them develop and in the mean time Jake being in the AHL benefits a struggling Utica roster.

Drouin at least showed flashes of brilliance. I have never seen a single shift where I said to myself "that's the power forward we drafted". His offence is complete gone.

I said bleeding prospect for bleeding prospect. Not prospect and picks for another Defensive D-man. 

31 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I'd pass. Why make a deal just for the sake of making a deal. We need goals, and he isn't scoring any. /End debate

He has 6 points in 19 games while averaging just 14 minutes a game with dismal 3rd/4th line linemates. That's not bad at all.

And this wouldn't be just for the sake of making a deal. It would be to strengthen our centre depth and potentially setting it up for years to come with Bo and Strome at the 1-2. And to salvage some value from Virtanen as he's looking more and more like a bust everyday.

25 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

At this point I think Jake has more upside.Isles would have to add to this deal.

Upside is overrated. All it means is something the player might be but hasn't really shown he can become at the moment. And in Jake's case, it's looking like a bigger and bigger stretch he becomes the player the Canucks thought he'd be. He's barely making an impact in Utica and has lost all sense of being the scoring PWF he was in junior. At the pro level, he's slowly becoming more of a grinder which makes me sick to my stomach considering the Canucks passed up on Ehlers and Nylander.

24 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Spot on. 

It's the reality of things at the moment whether people like it or not. I just hope more come to realization of this.

...thus why I'd considering trading him now for someone like Strome before his value plummets if this trend continues with him.

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Except Jake shouldn't be mentioned in the same atmosphere as Drouin lol. This is so far fetched...literally day and night. 

Hate to break it to ya but Jake has regressed and has shown no signs of turning things around :sadno: 

Extra centre would be nice.

Daniel Henrik Sutter

Baertschi Bo Burrows

Granlund Strome Eriksson

Rodin Gaunce Hansen

That's a pretty deep forward group. Expose Hansen, insert Boeser, and next year:

Baertshi Bo Boeser

Daniel Henrik Sutter

Granlund Strome Eriksson

Gaunce Chaput Rodin

Probably would need to Be Virtanen plus Dorsett to make the cap work...

23 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Drouin at least showed flashes of brilliance. I have never seen a single shift where I said to myself "that's the power forward we drafted". His offence is complete gone.

I said bleeding prospect for bleeding prospect. Not prospect and picks for another Defensive D-man. 

You missed some games last year then. 

8 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Spot on. 

It's the reality of things at the moment whether people like it or not. I just hope more come to realization of this.

...thus why I'd considering trading him now for someone like Strome before his value plummets if this trend continues with him.

Absolutely. I don't regret us drafting him. The risk reward of having a home grown Powerforward was worth it. I'm not really fretting about who we should or shouldn't have drafted. Anyone can Critique a draft after it happens. However, if he has so much upside everyone speaks of than we better make something out of it before it's too late. I'd love a project Offensive D-man or a playmaking Centre. Madison Bowey looks like a weed smoking delinquent, (bleeding prospect) but has one hell of a slapper. I'd be all over something like that.  We need players that CREATE offence. We need to start moving these passengers. Even if he somehow turns it around, Jake would still be a Passenger best case scenario. 

Archived